General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Bike mileage -- what is too high?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Used Bike mileage -- what is too high?

I was thinking about picking up a second bike and was looking at the used market. Mileage, age and price are big factors to me. So I was was wondering what other people considered high mileage on a used bike?

Consider the bike is in good condition, runs great, regularly maintained etc.

Would you consider 20,000 miles on a 2005 too high?

10,000 miles on 2006 too high?

30,000 on 1997 too high?

I am just throwing figures out there as -- me personally -- I consider age and mileage in the same thought when thinking about how much wear and tear a bike may have taken?

What are your guys (and gals) opinions on this? How do you rate mileage and age when thinking about the price etc? Do you have a figure in your head that you consider?

Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
hughtwg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Used Bike mileage -- what is too high?

Most bikes die of neglect long before they wear out due to high mileage. I would pay less for a bike with high mileage but if it's got left than 100k miles on it and it's been maintained it should last you a long time. None of your examples seem like high mileage bikes to me.

I just sold a 98 with 73k miles on it and varous buyers tried to low ball me because of the mileage but the fact is that unless the buyer was going to be putting on another 100k miles on it the mileage was irrelevant since it ran better than new.

-hugh

Old 11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
BillyO
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three friends with WAY over 100K on their scooters. They all change the oil at 2500 miles and maintain them .
So what is high miles now ?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many factors to give you a good answer. Ultimately it boils down to a half-dozen questions and answers.

1. What do you plan to do with the bike? Ride, store it, rebuild it, resell it, etc.?

2. What's the market price (not retail, the market for individual to individual)?

3. How much do you need to put into it to make it do what you want?

4. What does the heart want? (Sometimes this one wins out over all the others).

5. What can the pocket book afford? (#4 & #5 come together sometimes to form a dangerous alliance of stupidity ... just watch the Barret-Jackson auctions this winter to see good examples of this.)

6. What does the boss (that significant other that may rule your life) say?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Seeing as how I have 27.5k on my 2006, rapidly approaching 30k, I'd have to say it's all about the condition of the bike and the maintenance record. I've seen bikes with over 100k on them that looked and ran pristine. I've seen bikes with 5k miles on them that were abused, poorly maintained and barely ran.

I would judge the seller more than the miles on the bike.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there are tons of used bikes for sale,,,,most have real low miles,,
find one of them

Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phrogman

Seeing as how I have 27.5k on my 2006, rapidly approaching 30k, I'd have to say it's all about the condition of the bike and the maintenance record. I've seen bikes with over 100k on them that looked and ran pristine. I've seen bikes with 5k miles on them that were abused, poorly maintained and barely ran.

I would judge the seller more than the miles on the bike.
Agreed, I have 34K on my 06, Full maintence and oil change every 2500 miles, cleaned weekly or more often (hate a dirty bike) Looks new, rides better than new, I consider it low miles, due to the maintence record that is Provable, and all done by the same mtech at the same dealer

Old 11-27-2007, 05:19 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

All good points that validated a lot of what I have been thinking about in my head. I am keeping my eyes out for something that fits what I am willing to pay. And that figure is not set in stone -- it is a just a gut feeling of the price better be significantly lower than a cost of a new bike with add-ons would be.

A good maintenance record is definitely key!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't think it was getting in to high mileage unless it was over say 12,000 miles a year and even then if I knew the bike and it was well maintained I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:49 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12,000 a year too much???? Geez! I just made my 1st payment and have already done 1st service (1000 mile) and have 3800 miles on it!! Is a touring bike for crissakes!!

Quick Reply: Used Bike mileage -- what is too high?