General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help. Similar parts with different part numbers

Old 08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help. Similar parts with different part numbers

I was looking to replace the stock mufflers on my recently purchased '06 Super Glide. Found a set on Ebay that the seller said came off an '03 Dyna, but the part number he gave me is 65747-94. According to my local HD parts guy, the number for all '01-'06 Dynas should be 64941-01. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,515 Likes on 3,772 Posts

Number he gave you is 65747-94 is not even a good number. Tell the seller to try again. However remember. Lot of newer stuff interchanges to the old. I put a late model Nightrain on my 04 Deuce. Did have to plug the oxygen sensors with SS plugs but it bolted right on. Brand new takeoff complete exhaust about a year old for $45. Seller broke even on his shipping.

Attached Thumbnails Need help. Similar parts with different part numbers-img_1702.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-13-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just because a number is stamped on a part does not mean it is the correct number or even a valid one for that matter - there are plenty of instances where they created a part, put a number in the casting/stamping or whatever then made revisions and left the old number as it..........primary covers are a (pun intended) prime example.

You should not have much trouble finding the correct parts close to you, keep on craigs, ebay or post a WTB here........nearly everyone takes them off, someone will have them - also ask local HOG chapter if you are a member, someone likely has some collecting dust in their garage like I do.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser

Hopefully I won't have to eat these parts. I saw the listing and hit the "buy it now" option based on his description and because I didn't want to wait until the end of the auction. He sent me an email telling me they would ship Thursday, and that's when I asked about the actual part # on the mufflers. My stupidity for not asking first. 65747-94 does come up as Dyna mufflers in an Internet search though. Isn't the -94 from the Evo era motors?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Were I went from old to new, you went from new to old. Does your pipes have the oxygen sensor plugs? The 03 will not unless it's a CA bike. You can always flip them on ebay no matter what. Open the box carefully so you can resue it?HA.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser

Oxygen sensors in the pipes, not the mufflers, right? (I mean, I dont know if there was ever a time when the O2 sensors went directly into yhe mufflers) Yes, the sensors are still in the pipes and not plugged if that's what you mean. Its a bone stock '06 SG.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser

OK, so maybe I found my own answer after a little research. I copied and pasted this from this website:

http://harleyexhaustdeals.1st5ive.ne...ce-100-00.html

"Harley Performance Dyna,street Bobs And All Fxd's Part Number 65747-94
Description
EXCELLENT CONDITION! These mufflers* are Professionally Performance Modified for Geat sound , improved performance and less restriction! Can be purchased stock baffled upon request. #65747-94stock for 94 and earlier FXD modles, very popular*in Europe. They are a couple inches shorter in length than late model FXD mufflers, although they fit*late model Streetglides nicely! *Giving your bike a much Sportier look! You can buy them stock baffled or baffle modified for less restriction, improved performance and more Great Harley sound!**Look at mounts they will fit *many other models. Will mount 1994-2012 Harley Street Bob*and many other model Dyna model *bikes!*Look at the mounts and see if they are like yours, then you will know they fit or not. Nice*CONDITION! No dings , dents are bluing, Nice chrome."

So, it seems the answer is that 65747-94 mufflers are a few inches shorter than 64941-01 and that's all. From the pictures on that website, the mounts look the same.

Eh, I'll see when I get them. But maybe this post will help increase the knowledge base by alittle bit for someone searching in the future.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bremsstrahlung
Oxygen sensors in the pipes, not the mufflers, right? (I mean, I dont know if there was ever a time when the O2 sensors went directly into yhe mufflers) Yes, the sensors are still in the pipes and not plugged if that's what you mean. Its a bone stock '06 SG.
You are correct. I was thinking you replace the whole system. I had an aftermarket Python system that even after the quite Vance&Hines quite baffles was too loud and I needed the whole system. The Deuce and Fatboy shared the same exhaust and the Nightrain and Custom are different with the balance tube being behind pipe. That is why I was surprised it just bolts up on mine and in my opinion looks better then the riginal Deuce pipes as pictured below. The Nightrain also was a 96TC while mine is a 88 TC. I had checked your ebay seller's number on Harley Davidson Latus.com is were they said it was not a good part number. I bet the slipons will work fine. If they do not you have paypals buyers protection and the most you will be out is shipping back if you want to go that way but that is really not fair to seller.

Attached Thumbnails Need help. Similar parts with different part numbers-exhaust-2002duece.jpg   Need help. Similar parts with different part numbers-exhaust-nighttrain2008.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-13-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser

Well, in fairness, the seller did advertise them as off an '03 Dyna, which, unless I'm mistaken, is not true. Maybe HD had that version of muffler ( 65747-94 ) on some models of Dynas and my number ( 64941-01 ) on others within the same model year '03, but I don't know.
Doesn't matter, he offered to take them back if they don't work anyway, which was cool because I didn't even ask.

I guess I'm mostly concerned if there's an internal difference is all. Something more or less restrictive, more or less back pressure? Something different in the guts of the slip on that will not be compatible with a bike that originally had a different part# muffler. Being in the age of fuel injection, computer controlled and monitored everything, incompatibility becomes an issue more so than in the past.

Last edited by bremsstrahlung; 08-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.