Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Ok, it's OT but... : what about Royal Enfield? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/183049-ok-its-ot-but-what-about-royal-enfield.html)

99octane 01-09-2008 05:49 AM

Ok, it's OT but... : what about Royal Enfield?

What do you know of the brand?
It was British, now thy are made in India where the local section bought first all the machinery, and then the brand rights. They seem to be made pretty well, and are old classics and look real simple to maintain. What do you think?

pic55 01-09-2008 05:56 AM

RE: Ok, it's OT but... : what about Royal Enfield?

i had a chance to try it in the 70 very nice

Mikey 1450 01-09-2008 06:09 AM

I remember them being around back in the early 70's when HD and Triumphs were the big bikes. But I have not seen or heard much at all about them for many years. I figured they went down like BSA and many others. Can you get parts for them, that would be my concern.

1flhtk4me 01-09-2008 06:43 AM

I would be willing to bet that they are not of the same quality as the vintage ones.

99octane 01-09-2008 07:01 AM

They are still around, still produced in India, officially imported in Italy (and the US as far as I know).
From what I've heard, manufacturing is of good quality.
my musing was more about ride quality and serviceability. They are carb bikes, very little in the way of electric plant, apart from ignition and lamps, so they should be easy to maintain.

whaap 01-09-2008 07:05 AM

I've read that asolid mounted Sportster is as smooth as butter when it comes to vibration when compared to the Royal Enfield.

99_percenter 01-09-2008 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 99octane

They are still around, still produced in India, officially imported in Italy (and the US as far as I know).
From what I've heard, manufacturing is of good quality.
my musing was more about ride quality and serviceability. They are carb bikes, very little in the way of electric plant, apart from ignition and lamps, so they should be easy to maintain.

sorta off topic, but ALL the bikes used in the2 weekHimalayian Motorcycle Enduro trip, are Royal Enfields.

So I'm guessing their pretty rugged scoot's

there's $hitload of foto's of those RE's on this Himalayian odessy.

http://www.endurohimalaya.com/gallery.htm

who want's to go? I'm trying to save my pennies (c:

99%r

99octane 01-09-2008 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: whaap

I've read that asolid mounted Sportster is as smooth as butter when it comes to vibration when compared to the Royal Enfield.
Not surprisingly... what with a single cylinder 500 cc engine which has never heard 'bout balancing shafts... :D

FandA M 01-09-2008 08:10 AM

I believe they have been produced in India for a long time and on original machinery.Some of the bikes they are producing now are the exact same bikes they have been makingsince the beginningwith virtually no change.Others are a little more modern.From what I understand the valves need to be adjusted regularly ,along with other regular mantinance you may not do as often or at allon a more modern bike.If you like to wrench and tinker I think one of these would be great bike to own,especially at the price.I've been eyeingone up for a couple of years now but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

huffhuff 01-09-2008 08:18 AM

local H-D dealer had one on the floor a couple of weeks ago. 2004 model i recall for $3600. since then i have seen another running around here.