General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotator cuff surgery and riding....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rotator cuff surgery and riding....

I have an MRI scheduled for Dec 16th. I have what thye think are two tears in mine. I fell on the ice on Dec 1st, and the pain almost made me faint. I canbarely use the arm now, so after reading all of these posts, I feel confident I will be ok if I do it right. BTW, I dod go atv riding last weekend. Believe it or not, I felt much better after the ride. I was very careful not to do anything but just cruise around while my son was riding his too. Anyway, MRI next week, doctor visit one week after that to see what needs to be done. The grinding and popping tells me there is some damage in there that will need fixing.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Bluerose

Hubby had shoulder surgery last year...took him about 2 months to get back on the bike. Depends on your specific situation and your recovery speed. Hubby says your handle bar position will be a factor too.

Good luck on your surgery...

Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 AM
bobs55
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, I feel your pain. I'm having my left shoulder done 15 Jan. I got to get the other one also. It will be after my left is healed and I've done the PT. I have torn rotator cuffs and bone spurs in both and are rapidly worsening. I'm going to miss riding for awhile. I've been having contant pain for several months now and went through the PT thing and cortizone shots. I have lots of problems with putting on shirts, etc and anything above shoulder level. For the most part riding my Ultra has been no problem. My surgeon said no way for a while. I've also got to have a hernia fixed. Man, I hit 47 then everything went to crap.
I hope that I can get all fixed up before the hot summer weather hits. Also the big 50.
Well those on the forum that have had this procedure sound quite positive. Most others that I know (non riders) who have had this surgery had lots of problems.
Maybe, bikers are more determined to get healed up to get back out in the wind. Best wishes to you and to Bill as well.
My wife did jokingly say that she might get her license though. Then I'd have to ride biatch.
Bob- in Georgia

Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

Had my right shoulder done in 1994. Then PT for a while and dropped out early. It was better but not as it was as a twenty year old. Just as before I couldn't throw a ball very hard overhand without my upper arm falling out. I didn't let it slow me down but that came at a cost "pain!"
Now it's back to real bad again, the snap crackle pop can be heard across the room and sometimes a deep moan as well. I start PT at the VAagain on the 24th and maybe looking at the knife again also. I hope it'll all be done before thespring break out run. Oh ya, the shots cortizone(sp) doesn't even touch the pain.

Far as riding, remember!! "VELCRO" latch on the grip and hook on the glove, it will keep your hand on the throttle even when it's knumb.

good luck
chappy

Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Wait till riding season is over. take it easy on it and limp it in the hospital over the winter. It'll only get worse if you aggravate it. Trust me I know. 9 separations, 6 dislocations, shoulder MAG, 3 months sling,6 months rehab, same shoulder.

Like a bunch of elastic bands. They get stretched enough, they won't go back to OEM specs.

Do it in the winter. That way you won't miss riding, and if you really like fishing...... come up here. You can ice fish. NO CASTING!!!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: bsea

ORIGINAL: rh8234

I had rotator cuff surgery in November 2006 (not arthroscopic) and had tear repaired as well as having about 1 &1/2 inches of colar bone removed due to arthritis. I was riding and golfing in about 5 weeks.
I'm having this exact surgery on the 15th. Timed it for the middle of winter so I hopefully won't miss any riding.

Bill
Bill,

Good luck with the surgery. I hope you have better luck than I did. I didn't go into this in my initial post, but although I healed from the surgery quickly, I cannot say that the surgery actually improved anything for me. In fact, I have more problems with the shoulder after the surgery than I did prior to the surgery. I went to the Mayo Clinic last spring to have them check it out and they determined the the Ortho guy that did my surgery actually did make the problems worse. I will eventually need to have it repaired again, but I'm going to wait as long as possible. I had the Mayo doctors look at MRI's that were taken both before and after my surgery and they found rotator cuff tears that weren't repaired, Ligaments that were accidentally cut during my surgery and are retracting into the muscles, partial cut in my bicep, and not enough of the colar bone had been removed to stop the impingement.....