General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam 88 engine vs Twin Cam 96 engine, which is better built?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just curious. If 6th gear is the same ratio as 5th gear is in a 5 speed (no overdrive,) what's the benefit of a 6 speed? Are they the same final ratio?

About EVO's and leaks. Harley improved the EVO every year. I'd buy at least a '96 model or later. I have a stage 3 80 inch EVO Wide Glide that will run away and hide from a stock 96, at least through last year's model. Haven't tried a 2009.

I like the TC88 through 2002 or so - with the roller crank bearings. Too bad they changed that detail. Build that to a 95 and you have a pretty good engine.

$.02

Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both engines I like the power in the (A) 96" motor over the 88" motor.
I have the 04RG 88" motor it was do 105 to 110 mph top on the highway. Now my
07 Lowrider has (A) 96" motor it will do 110 mph in 4th. gear and still have the power to keep on going. I wish sometimes that my RG had that kind of power.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
salty01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've owned an Evo Stage 1, Heritage with 88 Stage 1 incl old SEII pipes and SERT...that was a damned good runner.!
I own an 06 SG currently with a mild 95 with S&S510 gear cams, rineharts, K&N , PCIII..very good!
My 07 Heritage has stage 1 with PCIII, v&H double barrel's and a k&N...very good also.

But the 88 built to 95" will take it each time. I do find the gearing a bit high on the heritage. Although the 96 is essentially a longer stroke there are many new parts. I liked the Evo for more simplicity!.

We'll see, maybe the 96 will become a 103 down the road on the heritage, we'll see what haoppens as the kilometres roll up!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...let the thread die. It's almost too stupid for words... ...same engine, the 96 has eight more cubic inches with longer stroke. Easy breezie. Comparing anything other than stock for stock is apples and oranges. The 96 is almost 10% larger, it delivers almost 10% more power (or these low-power beasts that's still not much), and produces more heat... it's bigger. Bore 'em both, stoke 'em both, whatever. Then it's your own monster. Stock for stock it's the same .6hp per cubic inch engine: any after market mods will improve that ratio.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isn't a Harley engine that I haven't liked. Maybe with exception of the flathead. I traded my dyna 88 for an 07 RKC with the 96. For the first few thousand miles thought I made a mistake. There was a different feel and the heat issue sucks. But after break in I really like the 96. It reminds me of the old shovels after upgrade on valves and a bore.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 AM
1peter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't get it ?? I bought an 06 softail standard new and, in standard trim it was very dissapointing. I would have to time my run if I wanted to overtake anything in top gear, even when changing down it was still pretty sad. The K&N filter and muffs made a little difference but not enough to give it any real bottom end grunt + I can't believe that nobody complains about the space in the gearing between 2nd and 3rd ?? In the mountains this is just annoying. You come up a range into a corner at say 70 km an hour in 3rd gear (not Miles, I'm an Aussie) and you have to get the thing down to "at most" 40km an hour before you can drop it into 2nd so it doesn't rev its head off before negotiating the corner, then you have to try and build up enough forward momentum so it doesn't die when you change back up to third, just not enjoyable riding.The gearing and cams are just all wrong to me. On the other hand, I just bought an 09 softail standard and it is like night and day. The 09 pulls from anywhere in any gear, the 6 speed box is beautifully spaced, the gearbox oil is easier to check (on the sidestand) and I don't have those annoying fob button beeps anymore LOL. This bike is a pleasure to ride and I don't see any comparison, it is just that much better to me. My 06 had filter, pipes, and a thundermax and my stock 09 (except for SE Mufflers) just leaves it for dead in any gear any time or anywhere, effortlessly. As far as longevity goes, we will see, but a mate of mine has 37,000km on his 07 street bob and it hasn't missed a beat. Mind you, apart from the gearbox issue, it is possible that I just had a **** 88 from new ????

Last edited by 1peter; 06-20-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I pulled this up from 08/01/06 touring section post # 21

Here is the list of the engine and transmission changes. If there are "bugs" they will be covered by the 2-year unlimited mile warranty. Remember, this isn't a new engine like the Evo to TC88 change. It's a twin cam that they have been refining for the last 6-7 years. Even the 06 models had several engine changes (New Single Piece 46 mm Throttle Body, New fuel injectors, New fuel injector wire harness clips, Redesigned Cylinder Heads, New intake and exhaust ports, Intake port requires new symmetrical flange, Redesigned valve seals). I'm happy with my 06 Road Glide and don't see upgrading for 4-5 years, if then. Had I known the changes would have been this significant I may have waited a couple months before trading in the FXDL for the Road Glide. For now I'm riding off into the sunset on the 06 and not looking back.....

New Twin Cam 96â„¢ engine Powertrain specifications
• Displacement: 96 cu. in. 1584 cc up from 88 in. 1450 cc
• Achieved by stroke increase to 4.375 in. (111.13)
• Touring Alpha engines have increased torque to 93 ft. lbs. (126 NM) @ 3500 rpm
• Softail® Beta engines have increased torque to 90 ft. lbs. (122 NM) @ 2750 rpm
• Dyna™ Alpha engines have increased torque to 92 ft. lbs. (125 NM) @ 3000 rpm

Rods and Pistons
• Lighter pistons and connecting rods for lower reciprocating weight
• Shorter wrist pin

25-Degree Injectors
• 2006 running change to 25-degree fuel injectors (P/N H-D-27709-06A)

Compensator assembly/alternators
• Four spring pack design for domestic and HDI modelsCompensator spring pack now welded to rotor

• Engine cases with integral oil filter adapter
• External oil lines have been eliminated for Dyna™ and Touring Big Twin engines
• Softail® engines continue with external oil lines

Cam plate changes
• Primary hydraulic cam chain tensioner
• Secondary hydraulic cam chain tensioner
• Cam plate uses parent material bearings

Crankshaft assembly and cases
• Inner cam bearings

Oil pump assembly
• 10% More flow and 23% scavenging capacity improvement
• O-ring between oil pump and cam support plate has been eliminated
• 10/11 Lobe gerotor set

• Assembled cams
• Flywheel sprocket shaft splines match 2006 Dyna™ models
• Dyna™-style roller cam chains
• All Big Twin models feature hydraulic chain tensioners and new cam chains

6-Speed Cruise Driveâ„¢ transmission
• 6th Gear is direct drive 1:1
• Lower cruising rpm in 6th gear is achieved with new primary ratio
• 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th are helical gears
• 1st and 5th are spur gears
• 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears are integral on mainshaft
• 6th Main drive gear
• Quad-ring replaced by O-ring on new main drive gear
• Needle bearings for 6th gear mainshaft
• Needle bearings secured by retaining rings
• Double-row output bearing
• Sprocket spacer incorporated into bearing
• 5th and 6th gears are integral on countershaft
• Six of 12 gears are individually serviceable
• Christmas tree gear layout on shafts
• VRSC™-style dog ring shifting
• XL/XB-style shifter design

Primary drive system
• Drive ratio is 1.35:1
• Dyna™ clutch shell
• Starter ring gear moved to inboard on clutch hub
• Automatic mechanical primary chain tensioner
• New inner primary housings
• Inner primary must be removed to service rotor and stator
• Primary chain inspection cover has been removed

Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think a small cup of coffee at mcdonalds taste better than a large cup of coffee...but you get more with a large cup. they dont sell as many large cups because people that get the small cups want more so they buy another or get a refill. but since they sell more small cups if they make a bad pot they get more complaints even though they are the same...its just a 96 has a longer stroke,,,,they are new and not as many on the road...its not rocket science.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DGlide04
I've ridden both and get more smiles with my 95" big bore from the original 88" than a stock 96".
+1 on this and Agree although have had no problems with the 96" so far..

Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

96" ?? what 96".
To quote some nameless expert "There is no replacement for displacement"

I enjoy immensely my 103" motor. Would not have enjoyed a stock 88 or 96.
Merging 2 up with gusto into 85mph traffic on an uphill freeway grade ring any bells??? Plain and simple truth, stockers suck-diddly-uck at that. How about passing a couple of 18 wheelers uphill on a 2 lane.

Anywho, also love cruising along in 6th gear on the superslab at 70-75 mph and getting 50-55mpg.
Would prefer a lower 1st gear tho in the 6 speed gearbox.

Quick Reply: Twin Cam 88 engine vs Twin Cam 96 engine, which is better built?