General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Two Motorcycles Side by Side Still Illegal

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Driving Two Motorcycles Side by Side Still Illegal

I looked it up and it is legal here... But in the handbooks it says you cannot, you have to ride staggered formation...
Im checking the other states cited now.

Its legal in Washington too...

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

Driving Two Motorcycles Side by Side Still Illegal - Virginia will remain one of only two states in the nation where it is illegal for motorcyclists to ride side by side in a lane. House Bill 48 aimed to make it legal for motorcyclists to ride abreast in a single lane but was defeated in a 9-9 vote by the Transportation committee during a Tuesday committee meeting.

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=3043.html
http://www.americanbikernews.com/New.../sid=3043.html

Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 PM
brian falcone
Tourer

i ussually dont ride side by side. a few times at nite we all went out and this jackass was statgered behind me to the right right in the blind spot, so i missed a few right turns because this idiots front wheel was even with my rear wheel so i was waiting for an accident if i turned right. so then once we got back together i told him to stay a little farther back. long story short the phuktard kept riding my rear wheel and i was looking for a pipe wrench to shove into his front wheel. now i just stay in the back so i can see what the others guys are doing, this is the same guy who while on a m.d.a. benefit runwas riding side by side in the front of the group and tried touch fists with the other guy up front. i think all 100 riders had choice words for him at the end of the ride

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: x2lee

I looked it up and it is legal here... But in the handbooks it says you cannot, you have to ride staggered formation...
Im checking the other states cited now.

Its legal in Washington too...

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

Driving Two Motorcycles Side by Side Still Illegal - Virginia will remain one of only two states in the nation where it is illegal for motorcyclists to ride side by side in a lane. House Bill 48 aimed to make it legal for motorcyclists to ride abreast in a single lane but was defeated in a 9-9 vote by the Transportation committee during a Tuesday committee meeting.

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=3043.html
http://www.americanbikernews.com/New.../sid=3043.html
Legal In Washington State (RCW 46.61.608)

Legal In Georgia (40.6.312)

Not Legal In Virginia

Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Arizona Flash
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak for Arizona, and not being a lawyer, I probably should not speak about this at all... But... A while back I read through the Arizona Revised Statutes on transportation and I remember not finding anything specific where it said it's illegal for two motorcycles to ride side by side in the same lane. However, it does say it is illegal for one vehicle to pass another in the same lane. So I am wondering... If two bikes are side by side, one of the bikes is always passing the other. Maybe only by inches, but the back and forth thing would always result in one bike passing the other. Knowing that tickets are often written from the mood of the LEO rather than the intent of the law, maybe a passing in the same lane ticket could be given to both????

"But officer, do you really believe that was the intent of the law?"

"Sir, you have the right to plead not guilty and go before a judge. Please sign here, sir."

Old 01-24-2008, 06:08 PM
06train
Road Warrior

Probably cause everyone in the state uses the far left for scratchin their *** ANDplayin wit thier nuts.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:19 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride side by side with only my closest buddies. It's actually safer in my opinion. There's a reason the cops do it.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:19 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer

And to think, its illegal to use a radar detector in virginia too. Anyone wanna check if its legal to marry your siblings there?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

I'm not fond of riding side by side. Way too dangerous and very distracting. I like to have my own space in my lane, especially if I have to dodge a cager,debris in the road or just riding on a sh*tty road surface. If I ride in a group, I feel the staggered formation is moreforgiving.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

I want all the room I can have for an escape route. What if a pot hole or anything else comes up and you can't avoid it if someone is next to you?