General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:00 PM
JMN68
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BAD Dealers and Experiences

I have been riding for the last 18 years and 12 of those have been on a Harley. I have been wrenching (fluid changes, engine rebuild and upgrades) on my bikes and on others for the past ten years so I know a little more than the average joe. I walked into the dealer where I purchased my bike, Cycle Center in Fremont California because my Street Glide was having problem idling when hot and hard to start on cold mornings. I know and you all know that the Street Glides have issues with the new injectors. The service writer told me that it could be this or it could that or something else. [sm=lame.gif]. After the smoke blowing session he told that to solve this, I will have to pay for it to be dyno so they can figure what is not working and I would have to pay for the dyno. I thought a warranty is to cover the problem due to manufacture defect. I have spent good money buying a bike from them I have to spend even more to fix it under warranty. [sm=dontgetit.gif].

My girl want to pick up a Harley and a few other friends also are looking into buying as well. With this type of service, I am urging them to go else where to buy their bikes.

Joe

Old 05-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guy I work with bought a sportster there. He's not been happy with anything from them, even taking delivery of the bike.

Scoot over to Mcguires in Walnut Creek. They will take care of I'm sure.

Always great service from every department. Even after the sale.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
g1moore
Stage II

Hi, first I don't want to just jump out and say my Harley dealership (Harley Davidson of Lakeland) in my area is bad but someone there really messed my bike up. I had a SERT installed after reading that the stage 1 download that Harley has is a waste of money. When I got my bike back it was running like crap with popping on deceleration and a dead spot right when you gave it the gas. Damn near laid my bike over turning out of my driveway with that dead spot. Called the dealer up and nobody could tell me what map file was loaded into my ECU. Finally gave up and took it upon my self to fix my problem. After reading the manual on the sert (well some of the manual) I hooked up to my computer (ran serial cable out bedroom window to bike) loaded up the ECU and the file 141NR001 is what showed up. Now I'm no expert on this whole EFI thing but I checked on this file and it shows it being for an open looped bike. My 2006 Dyna has a closed loop setup with the two oxygen sensors. I found the file that was closest to my setup (S/E A/C with the Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust) which was file 141NX002 and reprogrammed my ECU. Long story short, my bike runs like a dream with no dead spots or popping under hard deceleration. I know this EFI map can probably be improved on but for now I'm happy to just been able to fix my bike by downloading a file. (Amazing). Anyway I look forward to meeting new friends of this community and learning as much as i can, hopefully being able to help others in the future. Well I'll stop boring you all now.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:54 PM
tlee
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to the Forum, and hope to return with a more positive attitude soon. In the meantime, let me say unequivocably that I am a giant H-D fan. H-D is my motorcycle of choice!

HOWEVER, I have been wronged in a big way by "The Motor Company" and a dealer. For my benefit and hopefully yours, I have chosen to speak out.

I am a relatively new rider without benefit of the many years of experience others may bring to bear when buying a new bike. Please bear with me as I share the following:

I purchased a new 2005 DWG. I was told performance parts had been added before the bike was put on the showroom floor. That was "OK" with me, I like performance. What I did not like is the fraud and misrepresentation that followed.

The dealer, Harley-Davidson of North Texas in Carrolton, Texas was not up front with me regarding the warranty. Since my purchase, I have learned, that even though I have an owner's manual with a H-D warranty in it, I do not have a warranty on the engine and drive train because of the performance parts added before the purchase.

I have also learned that my bike is not "street legal." While I am still not sure what that entails, I have been told I can be forced to stop riding the bike by law enforcement until the bike conforms to the law. This too is a product of the dealers addition of performance parts to my bike.

What I really wish is that we had a section on the forum for the misdeeds of "The Motor Company", because, what is really bad is, they are supportive of and condone the dealers actions. Top management at "The Motor Company" confirms what I am saying; my 2 year H-D warranty is VOID because of the dealer's actions and failure to disclose the facts to me.

And, while H-D manages and controls their dealer network down to crossing the ts and doting the is, they deny any ability to help me on this one. If H-D allows this dealer activity thay are as wrong or worse than the dealer.

Please, before you purchase any bike that is supposed to have a warranty attached, new or used, delve into the details of warranties or manuals where H-D discusses its "small print" issues. I did not think it necessary. I have changed my mind in a big way and hope you will too.

The following users liked this post:
inspecto (08-05-2022)
Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
mrs03
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: tlee

I am new to the Forum, and hope to return with a more positive attitude soon. In the meantime, let me say unequivocably that I am a giant H-D fan. H-D is my motorcycle of choice!

HOWEVER, I have been wronged in a big way by "The Motor Company" and a dealer. For my benefit and hopefully yours, I have chosen to speak out.

I am a relatively new rider without benefit of the many years of experience others may bring to bear when buying a new bike. Please bear with me as I share the following:

I purchased a new 2005 DWG. I was told performance parts had been added before the bike was put on the showroom floor. That was "OK" with me, I like performance. What I did not like is the fraud and misrepresentation that followed.

The dealer, Harley-Davidson of North Texas in Carrolton, Texas was not up front with me regarding the warranty. Since my purchase, I have learned, that even though I have an owner's manual with a H-D warranty in it, I do not have a warranty on the engine and drive train because of the performance parts added before the purchase.

I have also learned that my bike is not "street legal." While I am still not sure what that entails, I have been told I can be forced to stop riding the bike by law enforcement until the bike conforms to the law. This too is a product of the dealers addition of performance parts to my bike.

What I really wish is that we had a section on the forum for the misdeeds of "The Motor Company", because, what is really bad is, they are supportive of and condone the dealers actions. Top management at "The Motor Company" confirms what I am saying; my 2 year H-D warranty is VOID because of the dealer's actions and failure to disclose the facts to me.

And, while H-D manages and controls their dealer network down to crossing the ts and doting the is, they deny any ability to help me on this one. If H-D allows this dealer activity thay are as wrong or worse than the dealer.

Please, before you purchase any bike that is supposed to have a warranty attached, new or used, delve into the details of warranties or manuals where H-D discusses its "small print" issues. I did not think it necessary. I have changed my mind in a big way and hope you will too.
to me it doesnt seem like you were wronged by the dealer, did you happen to ask what mods they put on? Because if in the purchase of a new bike you dont even know what is on it, well I would say that is on you. oh, and welcome to the forum.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:15 PM
tlee
Intermediate

Hi mrs03,
I knew it had a 95ci. package and 6-speed, but, with all due respect, what does that put on me?

Old 05-23-2006, 01:31 PM
mrs03
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: tlee

Hi mrs03,
I knew it had a 95ci. package and 6-speed, but, with all due respect, what does that put on me?

well in your first post it didnt seem like you knew what mods they had put on, and if you bought a new bike clueless as to what was on it, then i would say that is on you. if you did, then it is different.

And reading through some of these "Bad" dealer experiences, you could chalk some of these up to consumer ignorance.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
tlee
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply mrs03.

I am hopeful that through conversations like ours, people will come to know that H-D and, at least, some of its dealers will do anything to make a sale, including fraud and misrepresentation.

Unfortunately, their unscrupulous behavior will eventually bring more government regulations and laws, just the thing I detest, but, do not know how to handle otherwise.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place.
I didn't buy a bike there, but Mile High High Harley in Denver Colorado really impressed me while I was there visiting my daughter last Thanksgiving. Very professional and friendly to me and my daughter.

My daughter works at GUNSLINGER's, which is a custom paint contractor for Harley Davidson.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 PM
BerettaMan
Intermediate

Mikes Famous - Groton, Ct.

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences