General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
So I am from Florida up in Alaska doing some work and stop by the local dealer in Anchorage to buy some shirts. I put $260 worth of clothing on the counter and ask for 10% off. The girl calls the manager, he comes to the counter looks and says no. I say are you sure b/c i either get the 10% off or leave them ($25 off). Needless to say i left with nothing.

Pretty funny to me considering the mark up on clothing everywhere is about 100% or more. That the guy wouldn't deal and would rather not make the sale at all. If it was my business in this economy i would do the 10% off. I know in my current work clients are asking for deals and if your not willing you won't get the work.
If you came at me with that tone, I'd would've told the lady add 10%. Your delivery is way off. Sounds like you came in with a big boy attitude. Granted 10% probably wouldn't have hurt him/the dealer, but...

Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM
cj21tol
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rebel1963
I have walked into that place at least 4 times to get a price on a new scooter in the past 8 years and they haved pissed me off every time to the point that i will never buy anything from them, nothing!!! the first time they pissed me off was in 2006 (i lost my first bike in hurricane Katrina) and a salesdick named "Tank" (isnt that a great name for a used car salesmen?)welcomed me with open arms. i wanted a Lowrider, he tryed to sell me a used streetbob for the price of a new one. when i said i was going to pay in cash he did'nt belive me( that i can understand). but when he kept questioning how i was going to finnance it i got pissed and from their parking lot, called Northshore HD and talked to the guy who sold me my first HD (Rick Long). He said he had a Lowrider on the floor. I walked in and left with the bike 2 hours later. I brought a friend in to HD of NO a few months this past July, to look at the new Switchback's. the salesmen Paul looked to be about 20something and seamed like a good dude. he said i can get you on one of those right now to my friend and said he could get me a good trade in for my 06 lowrider. We both said we were'nt ready right now but would be back in a few months and would talk then. after a hundred phone calls and email's my friend got pissed and told him to stop calling (he still calls about once a month). I went in to talk about a new Streetglide and trade my 06 in. Well Paul had someone look over my trade and handed me to the general manager (because the sales manager was out for the day and "he's making deals to sell bikes"). Well he tried to steal my 06 from me for $8000.00 (it only has 6000 miles on it)!!! I said he was crazy. he said that is the best i will get anywhere. i asked how much was he going to take of the Streetglide, his answer was "NOT A PENNY". thats when i said he could sitck it up his...... and walked out. i will never go into that place again (its close to my work and i have bought many parts and severice items in the past). I will be buying my new bike before March and will go anywhere to buy. BUT IT WON'T BE HD OF NEW ORLEANS!
Did you even bother to check and see what your bike valued at as far as trade in? If you do any research at all on NADA or KBB you would see that 8K on a 2006 FXDL is more than a fair offer. I know, I know, dripping with chrome, show room condition, etc. Doesn't matter. If you are going to trade your bike in, at least go in educated so you don't look like an idiot.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 AM
nchuntr
Stage II

Outer Bank Harley Davidson OBX North Carolina,
No courteous to previous buyer of a bike .... Shop Techs are a dime a dozen ... High turnover of employees.... New Employees doesn't a clue to the HD product line...

Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
shovel t
Stage IV

rode out to Sturgis in 05 (not during rally)with my stepson and he had a shocl bolt break on his softtail called Black HILLS HD. They told me they were about to close and that we could leave the bike outside by the service door and they would get to it in the morning. We were on our way back to Cincinnati Ohio. I told them I would be getting hold of H-D customer service in Millwalkee( I DID) they didn't care

Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Ezrider007
Stage III
Default Fort thunder harley oklahoma city! Worst

This story is almost to long, bought a new StreetGlide in May. Every part of the experience a joke. From cancelling my extended warranty the day after I wrote a contract. I took 2 and a half monthe to get my money back from Harley. I guess they use there customers money for operating capital. The dealer put a stage kit in a it always hesitated. Well for $700.00 they would put in a tuner, or I can go down the street for $450.00 and get it done right. One of there solutions was to create more backpressure so they welded a washer in my new Rienhart pipes. Then had to buy me new one. Of coure drive it missing and powerless in the meantime pipes will be here in 2 weeks. Rear exsaut fell loose in Ark. on a road trip the month before as the bolts were gone also pipes they installed. Next time I picked up my bike the heat shield clamp was hanging there loose. There is more but take your money elsewhere. I called management, nothing but excuses. Had my bike there 6 times and was disapponted each and EVERYTIME! They will never see me again.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
kmlucia
Stage IV
Default Bad dealership

I purchased a 2000 fatboy in 2010 at Longhorn Harley in Grand Prairie, Tx and would only purchase if I could buy a warranty. They sold me a 1 year warranty which was ok at least I had something. Well 3 months into it they sent a letter retracting the warranty and provided "as is" coverage with "no modifications". It started with the stator and rotor at(1500 miles) I had to fix it. Well it was my first Harley and didnt know it had internal mods and salesman (vince) didnt say either so when the flywheel connecting rod bearing went out at (4500 miles)and I was SOL. They test rode on 3 occassions one said fuel tank was loose second said didnt hear nothing and third said it was the mikuni carburater needed rebuilt. I had to rebuild engine myself...I guess a learning curve for me. They treated me like a red headed step child after purchase wouldnt give any advice at parts or service just the stink eye. I took my business to Adam Smith Harley in Bedford, TX and it was amazing they talked to me in the service dept and helped out with other problems that I had with the bike. (carburater issue, electrical issues, rear belt issue with 1/2 inch shorter than normal adjustment bolts) sold me a money pit. I will never refer anyone to LONGHORN HARLEY DAVIDSON IN GRAND PRAIRIE,TX

Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by shovel t
rode out to Sturgis in 05 (not during rally)with my stepson and he had a shocl bolt break on his softtail called Black HILLS HD. They told me they were about to close and that we could leave the bike outside by the service door and they would get to it in the morning. We were on our way back to Cincinnati Ohio. I told them I would be getting hold of H-D customer service in Millwalkee( I DID) they didn't care
7 years ago?!?!? They offered to take the bike in as soon as they opened? Sounds like a good experience to me.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 AM
FXDWG94
Stage II
Default Bad Dealers and Experiences

Kegel's HD in Rockford, Ill. - I know this will be an old post but I still can not believe the treatment I got there in August 2003. I had been riding around the USA for 3+ months, stopped here on way to 100th for scheduled service of a complete fluid change, oil, trans, primary, and forks. Went to lunch with some friends in the area and when we returned to pick up my bike it was missing. It was missing for almost 2 weeks before they called me to let me know they had found it and completed the service. When I went to pick it up there were over 800 miles on it from when I dropped it off. No break on pricing of anything (parts or service), no sorry we loaned your bike out to another customer (how else did it get 800+ miles on it). To add further insult I ran out of gas before leaving the dealership, they did give me a gallon of gas. Turned out to be just enough to get down the road to the next light to discover that when they serviced the forks they double charged the right and added no fluid to the left fork causing the right fork seal to blow out. NEVER AGAIN KEGEL

Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not going to name the dealer, because I'm still scratching my head about this, but I'm pretty much done with, I'll wait until I'm in Florida for anything major..

After I got home in May from FLorida, I wanted to upgrade the sound system on my new (2012) SG.. This included the premium Boom Batwing speakers, the interface kit for the Zumo 660 GPS, the Boom Saddlebag speaker kit, new painted (Big Blue Pearl - had to wait six weeks for 'em) bag lids and the Boom fairing mount amp.. I also bought several other items - over $2000.00 total from this dealer. The catalog clearly stated there is a software upgrade needed in the HK radio to enable the 4 channel front/back balance. Before closing the deal, I asked both Parts and Shop how I went about doing this - answer was "no problem, five minute job, software is free". After installing the system myself, I called, set a time and had the work done (less than a half hour in total) in the dealership. When i dropped the bike off, the service writer told me there would be a labor charge for installing the software. My initial reaction was - "you've got to be kidding - I spend $1400.00 on this stuff that won't work without the software upgrade and I've got to PAY to have it enabled??" I went back to Parts, they said, "it's a free upgrade, the stuff won't work without it" . The Service manager said "we don't do work without getting paid".. Since I didn't have any choice, I coughed up the $22.00 bucks, had the software installed and left. I was left feeling cheap, since I quibbled over $22.00 on a bike with over $24,000 in it. Here's my beef - the HD catalog sez "Dealer Digital Technician software update is required. Dealer installation is recommended" . Only in the instruction in the kit does it add that a labor charge may be involved. Keeping in mind that Parts told me it was free installation and the fact you don't get to see the instructions until you've bought the kit, I still feel burned - only $22.00 involved, but no warm and fuzzy for what is the closest dealer to me - I've since traveled 90 miles for some things... Making a mountain out of a molehill? ...BTW - daughter is ready to move up from a Honda Shadow to a Softail Slim and because of this dealer's rep (before my experience, but now with it) she won't even consider buying from them.

Last edited by scooterbum46; 10-29-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 PM
gremlinsteve
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

walked in to my local to me harley dealer. mancuso is the name in fact.
after buying 8 previous bikes from them i did not mind paying a lil bit more than the other local dealers.
got what i thought was a high price, even by there standards quoted.
spoke to them about it and after they determined that i was serious and in the process of writing i found that they for some reason wanted to run my name/credit to see what they could get me for i guess.

came back after a short time and the quote was the same as the quote given to me for a ultra. i was buying a new street glide and had asked for the price on an ultra because i was not sold on the street glide yet.

so the new buy it now price for the street glide was 23.995
the ultra was 24k even

i called a few other local dealers while they where getting me this steal of a deal price and i found a dealer about 45 minutes away that i payed 19k for the bike at.

texan hd if any one is interested....shop around

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences