General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for letting us know.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Bayoudude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD of Baton Rouge told me they would not work on my 1994 Wide Glide. Mind you all I wanted was a new front tire installed. They said they only work on Twin Cam or newer due to having to stock parts etc. Is this common around the country? I have a hard time with my bike never getting serviced at a HD dealership. It is not your typical 94. Keep in mind they installed a rear tire one year ago. It cost them a new bike sale as I have just purchased a new SG.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayoudude
HD of Baton Rouge told me they would not work on my 1994 Wide Glide. Mind you all I wanted was a new front tire installed. They said they only work on Twin Cam or newer due to having to stock parts etc. Is this common around the country? I have a hard time with my bike never getting serviced at a HD dealership. It is not your typical 94. Keep in mind they installed a rear tire one year ago. It cost them a new bike sale as I have just purchased a new SG.
Sadly ............. Yes. A lot of the techs wouldn't know what to do with an Evo let alone a Pan or Knuckle head. Time to find a good indy down your way.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 AM
Bayoudude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Sadly ............. Yes. A lot of the techs wouldn't know what to do with an Evo let alone a Pan or Knuckle head. Time to find a good indy down your way.
I do have someone that does my work when I need it.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Bayoudude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
I do have someone to do my work

Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

8/30/14 I go to Riverside HD. They are having a full retail trade in event. If you trade in your bike on any new bike they will give you full retail value of the bike. Now I admit, I did read it wrong and was planning on buying an ultra Limited and not a new one, a 2013. They have tons and tons of bikes over there, in fact so many, they park at least 150 or more outside.
Well, after finding a bike back up against a back wall, a 2013 Limited, covered in dirt and a dead battery, supposedly with only 4000 miles on it, we wanted to make a deal on that one.
They never took the bike out, cleaned it up and offered to get it running to take it for a test drive....but still kept insisting that price they were asking for was the lowest they could go. I told them I thought it was 2000 too high and they would not come down. I told them we haven't even seen the bike cleaned up and may have scratches or something could be damaged. They said it was like new. The switches next to the ignition switch were discolored and turning white. They said it just needed to be cleaned, it was grease and dirt from people touching them. Are you kidding me...? The bike has been sitting out in the weather for who knows how long!
And they told me the person who bought the bike had it and when he saw all the new changes on the 2014's he traded it in....so has it been sitting there for 6 months..maybe as long as a year!
Now granted I could have been corrected on this because I thought blue book on the bike was about 20,000. When I got home and checked the computer, it would be fair to say they could go for 21,500 if in good condition and they were asking 22,200. I could have negotiated that, but they didn't take the time to convince me that I was wrong and I could have came up on my price on the bike had they done that. Still....we had not been able to see the bike in a clean running condition.
On my trade in, a 2013 Super Glide listed in my signature...has 3300 miles and looks brand new. They told me it would cost them $1,400.00 for them to safety inspect that bike. I told them that if I brought it in for a complete service it would only cost $500.00. What a load of BS.
Then after being there over 3 hours.....yes....3 hours... we could still not find out if we qualified to buy the bike, however they did say the difference in the deal that we were off could be charged on the Harley Davidson Credit card they were offering so it could get paid that way. Well....Hello.....we would still be paying it, just not in with the financing. I guess some people fall for that.
Then we talked about the interest rates. Well at first...you will laugh...they came up 15.9% with payments anywhere from 600 - over 800 a month. OMG. When we were fed up and ready to leave, my wife said we still don't know what interest rate we will get. So I got the salesman and asked him. He told me that "For our Safety"....his exact words, he could not tell us that until we were in the finance department. I asked him...So we won't know what finance rate we will get until we have made a deal and are in the finance department signing all the papers? "Yes, that is where they will discuss the interest rates with you".
He explained briefly something about the salesmen are not allowed to know anything about the credit worthiness of the buyers.
They need to teach the salesmen, they need to know all about the buyers so they can close the deal. I think this is another "Sales Tactic" they are using. Oh Well....they lose.
Then, the salesman comes over and asks me to come with him. I asked where we were going. He said I want to show you something. He took me about 10 feet from where we were sitting and shows me a Road King and asks me if I would be interested in a Road King? Why would he think that? We told him specifically we were interested in a Limited...not an Ultra Classic because they don't have CB's anymore.. but a Limited. He also asked us if we were interested in another bike...I forget which one because I began to tune him out about that time....trying to talk us into something we weren't even interested in. Finally after 4 hours....WE LEFT AND WON'T BE BACK.

I am really disappointed, we were expecting to come home with a Limted and all we got was a day wasted

Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

All of the above did actually happen, however on Saturday 8/31/14, I did receive a call back from the dealer apologizing for not being able to come up with a deal, and after several more phone calls that day....we did come up with a good deal for us. It is sad it took so long and I know they want to make as much money as possible, however they shouldn't drag it out so much. I will enter my story on the "Good Dealer Experiences" as soon as I can. Stay tuned...

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
8/30/14 I go to Riverside HD. They are having a full retail trade in event. If you trade in your bike on any new bike they will give you full retail value of the bike. Now I admit, I did read it wrong and was planning on buying an ultra Limited and not a new one, a 2013. They have tons and tons of bikes over there, in fact so many, they park at least 150 or more outside.
Well, after finding a bike back up against a back wall, a 2013 Limited, covered in dirt and a dead battery, supposedly with only 4000 miles on it, we wanted to make a deal on that one.
They never took the bike out, cleaned it up and offered to get it running to take it for a test drive....but still kept insisting that price they were asking for was the lowest they could go. I told them I thought it was 2000 too high and they would not come down. I told them we haven't even seen the bike cleaned up and may have scratches or something could be damaged. They said it was like new. The switches next to the ignition switch were discolored and turning white. They said it just needed to be cleaned, it was grease and dirt from people touching them. Are you kidding me...? The bike has been sitting out in the weather for who knows how long!
And they told me the person who bought the bike had it and when he saw all the new changes on the 2014's he traded it in....so has it been sitting there for 6 months..maybe as long as a year!
Now granted I could have been corrected on this because I thought blue book on the bike was about 20,000. When I got home and checked the computer, it would be fair to say they could go for 21,500 if in good condition and they were asking 22,200. I could have negotiated that, but they didn't take the time to convince me that I was wrong and I could have came up on my price on the bike had they done that. Still....we had not been able to see the bike in a clean running condition.
On my trade in, a 2013 Super Glide listed in my signature...has 3300 miles and looks brand new. They told me it would cost them $1,400.00 for them to safety inspect that bike. I told them that if I brought it in for a complete service it would only cost $500.00. What a load of BS.
Then after being there over 3 hours.....yes....3 hours... we could still not find out if we qualified to buy the bike, however they did say the difference in the deal that we were off could be charged on the Harley Davidson Credit card they were offering so it could get paid that way. Well....Hello.....we would still be paying it, just not in with the financing. I guess some people fall for that.
Then we talked about the interest rates. Well at first...you will laugh...they came up 15.9% with payments anywhere from 600 - over 800 a month. OMG. When we were fed up and ready to leave, my wife said we still don't know what interest rate we will get. So I got the salesman and asked him. He told me that "For our Safety"....his exact words, he could not tell us that until we were in the finance department. I asked him...So we won't know what finance rate we will get until we have made a deal and are in the finance department signing all the papers? "Yes, that is where they will discuss the interest rates with you".
He explained briefly something about the salesmen are not allowed to know anything about the credit worthiness of the buyers.
They need to teach the salesmen, they need to know all about the buyers so they can close the deal. I think this is another "Sales Tactic" they are using. Oh Well....they lose.
Then, the salesman comes over and asks me to come with him. I asked where we were going. He said I want to show you something. He took me about 10 feet from where we were sitting and shows me a Road King and asks me if I would be interested in a Road King? Why would he think that? We told him specifically we were interested in a Limited...not an Ultra Classic because they don't have CB's anymore.. but a Limited. He also asked us if we were interested in another bike...I forget which one because I began to tune him out about that time....trying to talk us into something we weren't even interested in. Finally after 4 hours....WE LEFT AND WON'T BE BACK.

I am really disappointed, we were expecting to come home with a Limted and all we got was a day wasted

Wow, you had far more patience's with them than I would have! I would have gone to a manager, explained to them what was going on and then said said, C-Ya later by! Never to return. I did that to my local dealer and it's been 2 years since I walked into that stealership!

Originally Posted by flyboyron
All of the above did actually happen, however on Saturday 8/31/14, I did receive a call back from the dealer apologizing for not being able to come up with a deal, and after several more phone calls that day....we did come up with a good deal for us. It is sad it took so long and I know they want to make as much money as possible, however they shouldn't drag it out so much. I will enter my story on the "Good Dealer Experiences" as soon as I can. Stay tuned...

Why didn't they just do that to begin with?? I would have said to them to throw in a helmet to make the deal happen and make it right..

Old 09-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

LAIDLAWS in Baldwin Park, CA. I called for a Crank Position Sensor, and the guy at the pars counter said, coldly: "We don't have those. " I responded with: "well, ok--can you tell me when you'll be getting some in?" His response: " Nope." Not "I can order one for you... It'll be here soon... no worries..." nothing of the sort. Just a "Nope." I replied, "well, ok then. Thank you very much." I really believe that they were just not interested in me when i mentioned it was for a 2000 Softail. I've never set foot in that place, and this exchange cemented that. Much better treatment at Pomona Valley Harley...

Old 09-12-2014, 06:17 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
LAIDLAWS in Baldwin Park, CA. I called for a Crank Position Sensor, and the guy at the pars counter said, coldly: "We don't have those. " I responded with: "well, ok--can you tell me when you'll be getting some in?" His response: " Nope." Not "I can order one for you... It'll be here soon... no worries..." nothing of the sort. Just a "Nope." I replied, "well, ok then. Thank you very much." I really believe that they were just not interested in me when i mentioned it was for a 2000 Softail. I've never set foot in that place, and this exchange cemented that. Much better treatment at Pomona Valley Harley...
Huh...............15 yr old ride ? I highly doubt you'll find any dealer with it in stock unless the exact same one is still in use on today's softail. Dealers only have just so much room to stock parts and the Mo Co dictates basic minimums.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences