General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:52 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
I like to inform you that the worst dealer in the USA is performing outstanding, compared with the HD dealer in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. In this dealership they have waiting times of over 10 weeks for a simple quotation, over 9 weeks for replacing a front tyre and are breaking promises as soon as they have made them. A huge part of the Chapter has already lost its faith in this dealer after each one or more horrible experiences with them and still they may continue...How can Harley defend these types of dealers, devastating the brand and chasing clients to the competition?
Have y'all thought of starting a massive letter writing campaign to the moco ? The letters must be factual with hard data. My understanding is that is what brought about the downfall of the dealer in Hot Springs, AR

Old 12-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Have y'all thought of starting a massive letter writing campaign to the moco ? The letters must be factual with hard data. My understanding is that is what brought about the downfall of the dealer in Hot Springs, AR
I did indeed and included not only MENA but Milwaukee as well. Dealer promised to change his organisation to improve the performance. I am follow it very close and the first, very little steps in improvement are indeed made. Let's keep the fingers crossed and if they not perform, other more experienced companies with a long history in excellent automotive service have declared to be ready to take over the dealership from the present owners company.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Jynxir
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had fourth gear in a '96 XL1200 demolished while riding 18 months after purchasing it and was informed by Ronnie's in Pittsfield, MA that, even though the rest of the transmission was okay (as verified by Spitzies in Albany, NY and Southhampton Harley in Southhampton, MA. ), Ronnie's wouldn't warrantee the work unless they replaced the entire tranny. Being as I wanted to ride (go figure, right?) I had them replace it. Week later I get it back, the next day go up to Americade at Lake George,NY and when I finally stop in town for gas, it's making the same metal-shredding noise that the bike had from the gear loss before. Fill up and turn around to go home only to have it seize up on me about 1 1/2 hours out. Almost had my second ever high-sider. Luckily, Harley paid the $100 bucks for a $140 tow that Ronnie's said they weren't responsible for the difference, although Ronnie himself did offer me a 'good deal on a new bike'!! . Week later I don't even get the bike the 5 miles to home when it starts shredding AGAIN! Turns out they forgot to prime fifth gear. Had to install the THIRD transmission and wait another week.
No problems since but, curiously...when I informed Ronnie's that I was looking to upgrade to a larger model and had seen a bike I liked at another dealer, I was told they could have it brought to Ronnie's so I could buy it there. Just not true. Unfortunately, since it's the closest, I'll probably have to have it serviced there. Will be checking out the independent in town to see if he'll service the new sweetheart!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:35 AM
ElliotDenson
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had previously purchased my first Harley at a dealer in Tulsa. I was less then impressed with there Customer Service. I began using the other Harley shop in Tulsa as they were a little more Customer Friendly. I had been in that shop and attempted to talk with the sales associates about upgrading to a road king. The sales person would not even talk to me unless I was ready to make a deal that day. This would be understandable had it been a promotional weekend.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Augustus
Advanced
Default Robs Cycle, Syracuse NY,

Credit card fraud,
used them once on line in 2011, got what I ordered, no problems,
CC was charged for over 1K this month, not by me,
girl @ CC card co told me all charges were manually entered from their store.
they will not answer the phone or email
make of it what you will

Old 01-29-2015, 01:17 PM
idolno1
Advanced
Default Laidlaw's La Puente, CA

About to take in my bike for 1K service. I'll let you know how it goes.

Or, if anyone has experienced Laidlaw's HD in La Puente let me know. Yelp has was more positive reviews than bad, but that can be misleading as well.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Crueltiming
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scottsdale HD

Recently (Jan 2015)...head bolt came loose and fell out during a ride. Went to the above dealer (on a Sunday) since it was real close to where I was. Got a replacement bolt and was going to install it...mechanic recommended against it..stating "that could cause the gasket to fail since head bolts have to be torqued in a certain sequence." The guy seemed pretty up front...claimed he wasnt trying to up sell me..just wanted me to be aware. I asked them to price out what it would run me for them to do it. It came back priced at 400.00 total. (the petcock leaked and replacing it was included as well in that total) I asked if they were open on Monday...they told me mechanics worked on things on Monday..so they were "sorta" open. Monday came and went...heard nothing...was expecting that. Tuesday rolled around...heard nothing. I called on Wednesday...they guy who answered had no idea wtf I was talking about. (I signed a work order) So after he "researched" it..called me back couple of hours later and said it was all done...the petcock only. When I inquired about the original work(re-torque head bolts)..again..he had no idea..had to call me back. He called and told me they cant do that work, but, they were willing to go through my top end to ensure nothing was damaged. After explaining thats not what they told me on Sunday...just for laughs I asked how much to do what he was suggesting...he said "I will have to refer you out to another shop to do that work"?? A Harley Dealership that cant go through a top end?? Also to note...they had the parts listed out on my receipt..which included gaskets for top end etc...Obviously..they didnt want my business. I was never rude...never dropped one F-bomb or anything. All I told them was I was very disappointed with this whole situation. Now..looking for an Indy shop for my needs...any suggestions in the Phoenix-Mesa-Tempe area?
Crueltiming
Mesa, Az

Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Someone at that shop is co-joined .............. Meaning their head is up their a** ! I'll bet if you wanted a Screaming Eagle 110 up grade they'd jump on it

Old 02-16-2015, 05:19 PM
rockinjohnny32
Novice

Fairing Plus/Fairing Plus USA out of the Sacramento area in California is the bad dealer and I would LOVE to share my recent experience with you.
I know that when most people post their opinions online, they don't often back it up with photos or videos to support those opinions.When they do, it's usually not up close and personal.Well if you're considering upgrading your stock saddlebags to extended or stretched ones, THIS IS A MUST SEE VIDEO REVIEW of what Fairing Plus/Fairing Plus USA delivered to me for $1,099.00 (scroll to the bottom for the video).

I guarantee it will be worth your time.It is a fair and accurate video review of my RECENT transaction with Fairing Plus/Fairing Plus USA that began on January 16th, 2015, and what has happened since the delivery.

Let me start by saying that before making a purchase for my 2013Harley Davidson Electra Glide Police bike, I always do a ton of research.While researching Fairing Plus, I was unable to find ANY negative feedback about the company or their products.The price was decent, their guarantee was EXCEPTIONAL, and the website highlighted the PERFECT accuracy of the high quality paint on these saddlebags.I felt very comfortable about making a purchase from Fairing Plus and had decided on the 4.5” conversion Extended Stretched Saddlebags with 2014 ONE TOUCH OPEN LATCH kit fit for 1993-2013 Harley Touring bikes (SKU# FPHDEB000015C).

I ordered the saddlebags on January 16th, 2015.After receiving a confirmation e-mail with two tracking numbers, I wondered why they were shipping two packages.I immediately responded because I was told prior to ordering that they came assembled, and I imagined they would be shipped in one box.They do not advertise that assembly is required, nor do they include assembly instructions or a parts list.

I have called Fairing Plus over a dozen times, and nobody has EVER answered the phone or returned my calls.The "CHAT" box on the lower right corner of fairingplus.com is useless.No operators have EVER been available for a live chat.

My saddlebags were scheduled to be delivered on January 23rd, 2015 at my place of employment.After opening and unwrapping one of the saddlebags on my lunch break, I immediately e-mailed the person at Fairing Plus who sent me the tracking numbers to explain the damage.Later on that evening after inspecting everything at home, I e-mailed Fairing Plus Customer Support.To my surprise, a Sales Manager replied to me the same night.

I sent a reply the next day (January 24th) to say I would accept his offer of free chrome latch covers to replace the black painted ones, and asked about the missing parts list I had provided them with.I also sent 24 photos to show the extent of the damage and paint defects.Please note that the package the saddlebags were delivered in was not damaged, and the bags were double wrapped for protection.

The Sales Manager replied two days later, but only told me he had forwarded the photos to the manufacturer and would get back to me after hearing from them.Since he was a sales manager and was responding to customer service complaints, I thought he should be handling my complaint differently, so I told him that it was ridiculous to make me wait.My transaction wasn't with the manufacturer, it was with Fairing Plus.

After requesting his supervisor or the owner of Fairing Plus contact me, someone replied by stating the chrome latch covers and missing parts had already been shipped (they still haven't sent all of the missing parts).They went on to offer me a $200 refund to have someone local fix, repaint, and assemble the saddlebags.I'm not a painter, but $200 seemed a bit on the light side to get these saddlebags to the condition Fairing Plus advertises.

I contacted a local motorcycle paint shop and explained the damage, including the company I purchased them from.After asking me several questions, the man gave me a verbal estimate of $900 to get them to the condition Fairing Plus advertises.Needless to say, I declined the $200 refund offer from Fairing Plus, explained the verbal estimate, and gave them two options.I either wanted a $900 refund to get their saddlebags fixed locally, or better yet, I wanted them to honor their “100% money back, no fuss guarantee!”.

They didn’t want to honor their 100% money back, no fuss guarantee.Instead, they said they would send a new pair of painted saddlebags from their manufacturer and make sure they are "good quality".

I sent them an e-mail going over what they advertise, what they delivered to me the first time, and what I expect if they were going to ship replacement saddlebags.I sent them another e-mail expressing my frustration with all the fuss and insisted on a 100% refund if they couldn’t ship the replacement saddlebags by February 13th.The Sales Manager responded on February 3rd and said they would ship them out before the 13th.This is the last time I have heard from Fairing Plus/Fairing Plus USA.

I have called, left messages, and sent e-mails looking for an update, but they have yet to contact me, and no replacement saddlebags have been delivered.

In my opinion, the saddlebags Fairing Plus sent me do not even come close to matching the description they give on their website.Additionally, they offer a 100% money back guarantee and claim they stand behind all the products they sell.So far, Fairing Plus has not stood behind the products I purchased or honored their 100% money back guarantee.

I am disappointed, and rightfully so if you have seen my video review.I don't know if it is the owner who is directing the employees to treat me this way, or if it is the employees treating me this way without the owner's knowledge.Either way, I hope the owner of Fairing Plus/Fairing Plus USA is made aware of my story and does the right thing.

To be fair, I really tried to give them every opportunity to make this right.I gave them a detailed list of all the missing parts, and they only sent me some of the missing parts.The saddlebags should have come assembled and they didn’t, so they sent me a link to some of the assembly instructions.The pictures are a fair representation of what was delivered to me.

I'm simply amazed that I am apparently the only one who has had a problem with this company.If it was a simple mistake on their part, they should have treated it as such.It’s not like they don’t have my e-mail address or phone number.Instead, they have intentionally deceived me by selling me a product that does not match the description given, and promised to send a replacement set.The saddlebags are defective and they are refusing to honor their posted guarantee/warranty.I consider that to be consumer fraud.These are not re-stockable items.They should have been sent back to the manufacturer for a credit after their Quality Control Department inspected them for “PERFECT accuracy” as they claim to do.

I am a Marine Corps Veteran who was in the Gulf War. The day we liberated the city of Kuwait is a day I’ll never forget. The men, women, and children were celebrating in the streets as we drove through, and I got the sense we helped those victims that had been so terribly wronged. Now I know this is quite different, but what Fairing Plus/Fairing Plus USA has done to me is simply wrong. It demands justice and a swift slap on the wrist to let them know this is not acceptable, especially in the United States. THAT is my story.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:56 AM
Delnorin
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by route2null0
Chesters Harley in Mesa, AZ

October 05 - Go in to order 06 Dyna Wide in Glacier white. In short, the sales MANAGER tells me that it would have to be 'worth their while' to get my style back with that color sooner than January. I wanted it sooner so I took my business elsewhere.
I was able to get my ride in early December from another dealer.

Jan 06 - Go to the same dealer after making an appt for my 1k service. 1 week prior i VERIFIED with the service clerk that they honored my purchased contract for services. Get up nice in early today and ride the scoot to the dealer. 8am, rougly 38 degrees. Hand over my key... lady right up ticket and tells me they DO NOT subscribe to the contract that I have for mileage service etc!!!!

So, I come home furious... shoulda stayed there and talked to the General Manager. I called this guy and said 'wow, your place really sucks and i'm gonna tell pretty much everyone about it'

He aplogized up and down and promised he would 'address' the issues. Doubt it.
I purchased my ride from Superstition Harley Davidson in Apache Junction, AZ. No problems at all. Super good experience.

The reason I bring it up is that it was my introduction to Chester's of Mesa, AZ. I was at Superstition in Apache Junction about to go on a solo ride up into the mountains and dropped by to pick up my new license plate. A fellow rider and I were chatting as I was putting on my plate and he said he was heading over to Chester's. I'd never been there so he showed me the way.

They have an amazing outside meeting area that is covered, parking and picnic tables. A motorcycle ministry is set up there giving out free (donations available) hot-dogs, hamburgers and sodas. I met some new friends (fellow riders) and very much enjoyed myself.

I have had no purchasing experiences there yet. I have some more online purchases to do and considered sending the items there for pickup because they offered a great experience to hang out and meet other riders and it's a few miles closer to my house than is Superstition. Superstition is nice and squeaky new and clean but they only offer coffee and the occasional cookies. Mind you, not faulting them; they have been fantastic and nice but the motorcycle ministry and the meeting of the other guys was pretty fun.

My 1,000 mile service at Superstition went off without a hitch. Stupid crazy amount of money to pay for an oil change though. I was also told by one of the riders that a court case in 1972 or so said it was illegal for a company to "require" a service in order to keep a warranty validated. If it is "required", the company is required by law to pay for that service. If pushed, H-D will back down promptly when you bring up the law and still maintain the warranty.

I learned a lot of things that day. A 30+ year motorcycle mechanic retiree and I chatted for quite a while. Loads of the projects/mechanic work they scare you into thinking you need them; you can do yourself with a mechanics manual and some time on YouTube and forums asking questions. Example: Vance & Hines exhaust system if you get all the parts, pipes, air intake, fuel programming flash, etc. Run you around $900 instead of $1900 if you have the dealership do it.

Sorry, I am rambling now. Just wanted to say I've been to Chester's once and loved the place. But your experience is appreciated. Thank you for sharing with us.

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences