General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Reejam
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my local HD dealership, the primary chain was replaced on my 2015 CVO Limited and I wasn't informed. They claimed that the primary chain 'stretched' and they believe the sounds are coming from the rear cylinder and they will need to take apart the cylinder to find the noise...(more $$$). I took my bike in because it was making light ticking sounds, I wanted them to check it out and let me know what was causing the sounds. I was hoping something was loose and just needs to be tighten. The bike was running just fine, I'm just under 15,000 miles. I don't have an extended warranty (yet). I'm pissed caused I would have said no to this and now they want $480.00!!!! I don't want to pay because I wasn't notified, they did not call me to tell me I need a new primary chain. They did this work without my authorization. I have had problems with this dealership before. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

sorry, replied to a troll

Last edited by RandyL; 06-02-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:54 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,401 Likes on 2,553 Posts

Reno Harley back in '04. I bought a new Heritage from Folsom Harley and then moved to Reno. Before I moved, I let the selling dealer change the fluids, cause it was free for the 1st one and I decided why not. Well the Service Dept was short that day because a tech called in sick, so the Svc Mgr said it's no biggie he'd do it himself. And I was good with that until I went to change my own fluids a few thousand miles later and found he'd stripped the drain plug in the tranny! Well after a heated phone call he said he'd take care of it. But I didn't want to ride it back there and asked if Reno HD could take care of since it was "warranty". He made a call to them and Reno ended up replacing the entire trans case. Yep, pulled it apart, and transferred the gears and all. A few weeks after I got it back I decided to pull the primary cover and install a chain tensioner. The mechanic that did the work didn't torque the small bolts that hold the ring on around the clutch basket and they had worked their out enough to just start touching the inside of the primary case. I went back looking to choke out the tech that did it but they told me he had lied about being certified and done a few other questionable things and was fired. So they saved his life in a sense. I have always, and forever will, do my own work if at all possible. But, it was "free"!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 AM
ElliotDenson
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm lucky never facing those type of person or situation.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

Don't go to Harley of Jackson, MS if you have a vrod, xr1200 or a buell. You would have better luck getting a brick to do the work properly

Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM
reverendmuffin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The year was 2009, Hammond Harley in Hammond, LA. I had finally decided to get a bike and be able to ride with my father to spend more time with him. I paid for the Rider's Edge Safety course at the local HD dealership and sat through all 3 or 4 days of that, actually informative and helpful (i had been riding dirt bikes for a few years.) On the last day (I think) they let us walk around the showroom and get a feel for the new models, as they would say. I knew what I wanted (looking back, probably not the best idea for a first bike) but I wanted a Street Bob. They did not have any in stock so I left my information with the salesman and told him that I wanted to know as soon as they got more in, I even told him I'd be paying cash and not financing.

Here we are 8 years later and I've never gotten that call. I guess looking young, they didn't take me seriously? I spent my money elsewhere eventually.

Second time I had a bad run in I just needed a helmet, not asking much. The selection here locally is slim. I went to see if they had anything, at all, similar to what I wanted. Of course they did not, not knocking them for that. Knocking them because that was the end of it. No offer to order something for me. No offer to help at all. Just "sorry we don't have those." As I'm walking out, a salesman does stop me and ask if I found everything. I said "no sir." He asked if the sales lady offered to order it for me. Again, "nope, I'll just order it online from jp cycles." That was the end of that. Never went back

Old 06-12-2017, 04:10 PM
joes bar and grill
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by reverendmuffin
The year was 2009, Hammond Harley in Hammond, LA. I had finally decided to get a bike and be able to ride with my father to spend more time with him. I paid for the Rider's Edge Safety course at the local HD dealership and sat through all 3 or 4 days of that, actually informative and helpful (i had been riding dirt bikes for a few years.) On the last day (I think) they let us walk around the showroom and get a feel for the new models, as they would say. I knew what I wanted (looking back, probably not the best idea for a first bike) but I wanted a Street Bob. They did not have any in stock so I left my information with the salesman and told him that I wanted to know as soon as they got more in, I even told him I'd be paying cash and not financing.

Here we are 8 years later and I've never gotten that call. I guess looking young, they didn't take me seriously? I spent my money elsewhere eventually.

Second time I had a bad run in I just needed a helmet, not asking much. The selection here locally is slim. I went to see if they had anything, at all, similar to what I wanted. Of course they did not, not knocking them for that. Knocking them because that was the end of it. No offer to order something for me. No offer to help at all. Just "sorry we don't have those." As I'm walking out, a salesman does stop me and ask if I found everything. I said "no sir." He asked if the sales lady offered to order it for me. Again, "nope, I'll just order it online from jp cycles." That was the end of that. Never went back
If you order from JP they won't ship it so what's the difference?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:13 PM
reverendmuffin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joes bar and grill
If you order from JP they won't ship it so what's the difference?
Lol I've never had an issue ordering from them. Only online issues I've ever ran into was bikebandit not shipping and motorcycle-superstore constantly getting rejected by my PayPal. Actually got the helmet from JP the next week (still using it)

Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 AM
snerb
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In central Wisconsin, Harley Davidson of Wausau is the local dealer. Personally, the ONLY thing I take my bike there for is winter storage. I bought my 2004 Wide Glide from them in 2010 only because it was the exact bike I wanted. The next two bikes I bought were from dealers 80+ miles away. Apples to apples comparison when I bought my '16 Ultra Limited last September, Wausau HD was $4700 more than Doc's Harley Davidson (http://www.docshd.com). Several guys where I work have bikes and we keep hopping that Wausau HD will be sold to someone who'll turn it around. Other than self installation parts, I don't go there for anything.

I'd highly recommend Doc's, especially for their service department...great group of guys in the shop, super knowledgeable. It's a great stop too, great restaurant, car museum and zoo. Fun place.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 PM
tonygermano2
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man some horror stories. I'm happy with Performance HD in Syracuse NY. Just bought a heritage and have bought and serviced there before. Always polite and friendly and genuinely concerned about satisfaction. I know I paid more for the bike than I could have if I scoured adds and Craigslist and cycleytrader and ebay but A) I had a non Harley trade and didn't want to waste my own time selling it myself. They took the trade and added more into my trade in value and B) I know there is a reputable, long standing dealer to back up the used bike I bought and C) I got a free frickin tshirt and didn't have to go to the DMV to register or to the banks to do any financing.... Good dealer, good service department, friendly staff very large selection of both bikes and accesssores. Okay in my book. I'm sorry for all that have had such terrible experiences.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences