General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 03:21 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed117
No lecturing just commenting about human nature. Probably should have read my updated post. I visited 14 dealers before I purchased latest bike. My comments are focused upon the sad relationship of dealerships and customers.
Based on the times, I was apparently typing while you were editing. While it's true that human nature being what it is, people are more likely to share good experiences than bad, on the other hand one shouldn't assume that all the bad experiences were imaginary.

What I first read seemed like you attacking us because we were sharing more bad experiences than good ones.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your original post.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 557 Posts

Hey no problem; however most studies show folks do tend to complain at a higher rate than offer complements or praise. Sadly your right in that is human nature. I just was surprised that on what should be a memorable experience so many folks had bad experiences.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:32 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Yeah, there's a reason so many sales people at Harley dealerships are ex car salesmen. There is an enormous amount of pressure to make your numbers. Those buildings aren't cheap.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Yeah, there's a reason so many sales people at Harley dealerships are ex car salesmen. There is an enormous amount of pressure to make your numbers. Those buildings aren't cheap.
that is why I chose a dealer that employs sales staff and not working on commission. They were not the cheapest on the bike nor do they have the lowest hourly labor rate but what they do have is integrity and a thirty year reputation. Sometimes the “price” is only part of the decision.

The following users liked this post:
riknbeth (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

that is why I chose a dealer that employs sales staff and not working on commission. They were not the cheapest on the bike nor do they have the lowest hourly labor rate but what they do have is integrity and a thirty year reputation. Sometimes the “price” is only part of the decision.
there is a "Good Dealers" section here as well, I for one would love to hear about your great experience and the dealership,

thanks, if you don't mind sharing

Old 12-08-2017, 06:07 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Could not agree more.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 AM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 6113_
there is a "Good Dealers" section here as well, I for one would love to hear about your great experience and the dealership,

thanks, if you don't mind sharing
guess I should put in good dealers section. I am sure there are many good dealers out there but unfortunately just one bad employee or one bad experience can spoil a good experience. My dealer started many years ago in a barn selling a few bikes a year as a family business. That feeling still exist there and the laid back atmosphere is just what I was looking for. Now someone else may view the dealership as a bunch of lazy country hicks. A lot of what pleases us are perceptions and one persons perception can be the opposite of another’s.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

guess I should put in good dealers section. I am sure there are many good dealers out there but unfortunately just one bad employee or one bad experience can spoil a good experience. My dealer started many years ago in a barn selling a few bikes a year as a family business. That feeling still exist there and the laid back atmosphere is just what I was looking for. Now someone else may view the dealership as a bunch of lazy country hicks. A lot of what pleases us are perceptions and one persons perception can be the opposite of another’s.
Alot of the "complaints" are a whole lot of nothing, AKA refusing to shop at the dealer again because they didn't give them a free air freshener when they purchased a bike. We all want to feel special when we plop down thousands of dollars and get the best deal we can, but a good chunk of the heartache on this thread is that buyers didn't get a deal they had dreamed up in their head. Dealers got to make a profit to stay viable.

The following users liked this post:
lowend73 (04-28-2022)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:52 AM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Alot of the "complaints" are a whole lot of nothing, AKA refusing to shop at the dealer again because they didn't give them a free air freshener when they purchased a bike. We all want to feel special when we plop down thousands of dollars and get the best deal we can, but a good chunk of the heartache on this thread is that buyers didn't get a deal they had dreamed up in their head. Dealers got to make a profit to stay viable.
hey I didn’t get a free air freshener either!! course I did get a free “t” shirt and 16% discount on all clothing for one year!

Old 01-01-2018, 07:11 PM
iron mule
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Chunky River Harley here in Meridian Ms
took the 2016 street glide special in for the 1k service specified that I wanted amsoil in all holes
was told no problem at the service counter about 45 mins later was called back to the service counter and told that they did not carry amsoil due to the high cost
told them to never mind I would take care of it myself but then was informed that they had all ready drained all the fluids so had no choice but to use their syn 3 the only thing they had
they washed the bike as part of the service /// big joke/// must have used a dry dirty rag for that had more scratches and scuffs than a 5 year old bike
mirrors had been moved
no apologies or what can we do to make this right
should have told me they did not carry the oil I wanted from the start
mule

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences