General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Old 01-06-2018, 06:19 PM
high class scooter trash
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope is post..not reply..but whats diffrence. Such bad dealings with service. First off..bill being a bit over quote? Im good. Taking longer than anticipated? Happens..but straight lying about doing the work? Thats most dealerships in my area. Rubber City HD and Stinger HD. Straight up take $$$$ then boot out with a dont care attitudes..I'd love to give a good review about a place..best i can do outta 8 yrs of usin hd service...ummm...only took me 3 hrs of arguing to exchange leather jacket when ripped...before i left store..worse..sent down road with wrong, addmitted, install of predator motor mount. Requires court action. I now have 2 lifts...lotsa tools...lotsa manuals..and lotsa messed up parts in garage..gotta start somewhere..not a whiner..and HATE having to go to court..but service techs and managers these days are like robots who cannot admit mistakes or hear reason and would rather have thousands of dollars law suit than say" oops..sorry..let me correct that for you.."ridiculous

Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Peace Frog
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Horny Toad Harley Davidson Ft. Hood Texas...

Went in looking for a particular button up shirt. Walked by the sales manager desk and said "how you doing sir?" He just looked at me, stood up and walked off.
I went to the clothes section and while looking for the shirt one of the female employees stood about 10' away watching me like a hawk. I found what I was looking for and took it to the lady at the register (she was actually polite), paid for my shirt and said thank you and walked out. The whole time the lady was eyeballing me and the sales manager was also at this point... Guess they don't like strangers coming in spending money???
That's the only thing I can figure...

Old 01-24-2018, 03:38 PM
Jimmyess333
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

About a year ago I (almost didn't) buy a bike from Maverick HD just north of Dallas TX.
I went there with cash in hand, trying to buy a used bike for the advertised price.
I expected to add tax and some prep cost but nothing prepared me for the actual experience.
First of all, they kept me there for over 3 hours. The process was painstakingly slow but in hindsight I think that was part of the plan. They handed me off to people to talk about things I wasn't even interested in. I was forced to talk to an accessories salesman that didn't ask IF I wanted anything but painstakingly goes through the catalog trying to sell what felt like every possible accessory. When I said I wasn't buying anything extra he looked at me like I insulted him. Then they got one of the hotties to take me through the clothes and waste my time time pushing that crap. Of course everything "would look so good" on me. If I didn't want THAT bike for THAT price I would have left right then. When I asked where my salesman was everyone said "He'll be right back". When I was finally returned to the salesman's office I sat there for a LONG time. He finally came back acting he was in a rush (excuse you buddy) he laid out the paperwork with a TON of extras added in. When I insisted on reading every page in it's entirety he became fidgety and annoyed. I pulled out all the crap I didn't want like extended warranty, theft recovery stickers hidden in the bike, and other BS and told the guy he has to take that crap off the invoice. Then (the kicker) he winced and said he couldn't do it. This ****** wasted hours of my time then this? I was pissed, got up, and walked out. One of the other employees ran and caught up with me in the parking lot. NOW they wanted to make a deal. I agreed to talk to someone else but I was certain I was not going to listen to another sales pitch or buy crap I don't want. Suddenly they were able to sell me the bike for the advertised price plus prep and tax. The original salesman had a sour puss and at one point said " I don't think you realize how good of a deal you're getting". I just looked at him like the *****he is and ignored him after that.
The bike was in excellent shape but when I got home but I could tell by the old oil that there was NO prep done to this bike. I've never been back there.

Last edited by Jimmyess333; 01-24-2018 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cruzercat (03-26-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM
jake2351
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my friends let you dollars speak for you! take your business to a dealer who treats you right the others will be out of business in short order! We all talk to other riders and potential riders and we all know word of mouth is the best advertisement its also the worse for a bad dealership.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM
Riich
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jake2351
well my friends let you dollars speak for you! take your business to a dealer who treats you right the others will be out of business in short order! We all talk to other riders and potential riders and we all know word of mouth is the best advertisement its also the worse for a bad dealership.
Well said! You and you alone are the only one to blame for getting taken for a ride. Walk away.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:17 PM
eglideic
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

McGrath Harley in Iowa

McGrath is a car dealer that decided to be a Harley dealer.
When he bought his dealership, all employees got a pay cut. Only one of them stayed on.
He fired one new employee for buying a bike elsewhere. He did check out their inventory, but didn't find what he wanted.
Also he charges over retail price for parts and I attached proof. Look at the circled items, Same part, but he charged almost double.

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Crowbar1
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

Hawkeye Harley Coralville Iowa, treats you like they are doing you a favor, tries to sell bikes like used car, a bunch of lot lizards. they expect you to bend over and take it in the *** and say thankyou

Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM
HDcustom
Stage I
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So why do you people do business with the HD dealerships to begin with? Over my many years of riding HD bikes, I refuse to deal with them. I buy used bikes with low mileage for way less than new, do my own service work so I know it is done right and buy any accessories that I may want on Ebay for a lot less than dealer prices. Why play the dealer game and have to deal with A-holes that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground?

I remember the days when you had to stand in line to buy a new Harley and the games the dealers played with the people wanting to buy. I also remember when HD dealers told people they would not warranty motors with synthetic oil in them, only because they didn't sell it. Now they have Syn 3 synthetic oil and act like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also understand they refuse to warranty transmissions that have used heavier oils like 75-140 instead of their product which is 20-50. If you really want to deal with people like this, keep going to the HD dealerships and bend over when you get there. Or buy a service manual and forget about them.

Last edited by HDcustom; 03-20-2018 at 07:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HDcustom:
1LargeDog (06-18-2018), LA=lower arkansas (06-19-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Randol
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts

I see this thread started 12 years ago. Some of the experiences on here are really bad. Now in 2018 and HD doing how they are, some of these dealers probably don't exist anymore. The ones that are still around may want to consider a change in tactics, or they won't be around anymore either.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:50 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowbar1
Hawkeye Harley Coralville Iowa, treats you like they are doing you a favor, tries to sell bikes like used car, a bunch of lot lizards. they expect you to bend over and take it in the *** and say thankyou
When a buddy and I were each looking for a new bike, their sales lady tried to flirt her way to a sale. Kept texting/calling to sweet talk into coming in and looking at a bike. Wouldn't give any prices over the phone and insisted we come in "to see her." Very unprofessional.

Their used bikes are on a second floor and after my friend was looking at one of their used Sportsters, told him to come by Sunday to test ride it. Rode 90 miles and sure enough the used area was closed off and we we're even allowed to look at them, let alone test ride one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences