General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 06:06 AM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

1) They DO have a printed catalog
2) Can't read a website when out of internet range
3) Their own admission - We sent the request to our printer 10x !!!!
4) If you can't help, what is your point ?
5) We need to make companies accountable for their failures and stop them prevaricating.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

My point? Just as meaningless as your post. J&P Cycle is an excellent company. They haven't sent their catalog to me for a couple of years. I've requested them a coupla three times, but I see no reason to go on the World Wide Web and cry about it. .

Old 07-24-2018, 04:45 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Holy crap - 255 pages of "bad dealers"?

Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I happen to know a couple of guys that don't have a computers, so what are they suppose to do ? I happen to like the printed catalogs, great for crossing part numbers and you can take your time while looking at parts. Even while you are on the throne !

Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by OzHD
Holy crap - 255 pages of "bad dealers"?
I thumbed through dozens of these pages just for kicks, and most of the whining done here is buyers either didn't get what they want out of their trade in ("My 03 Anniversary edition Sportster is a collector's bike!"), they didn't basically give away a brand new bike ("What do you mean you wont give me $8k off that CVO Ultra?") or they weren't treated like a god during the purchasing process ("I didn't get a BJ after I bought a bike, Wah!"). The complaints on "bad dealers" usually come from people stepping through the doors with what they think how the deal is going to go down, and then it not going the way they expect.

There are plenty of legitimate, justifiable complaints on here from either the service department or sales, but I'd expect this thread to be only a quarter of what is it now if we weeded out the keyboard warrior puffery.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
I thumbed through dozens of these pages just for kicks, and most of the whining done here is buyers either didn't get what they want out of their trade in ("My 03 Anniversary edition Sportster is a collector's bike!"), they didn't basically give away a brand new bike ("What do you mean you wont give me $8k off that CVO Ultra?") or they weren't treated like a god during the purchasing process ("I didn't get a BJ after I bought a bike, Wah!"). The complaints on "bad dealers" usually come from people stepping through the doors with what they think how the deal is going to go down, and then it not going the way they expect.

There are plenty of legitimate, justifiable complaints on here from either the service department or sales, but I'd expect this thread to be only a quarter of what is it now if we weeded out the keyboard warrior puffery.
True, but even the quarter is damning on HD dealers. Some of the worst are just outright fraudulent, criminal.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:44 PM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by OzHD
True, but even the quarter is damning on HD dealers. Some of the worst are just outright fraudulent, criminal.
Ours is one of the bad ones. Most recently, Asheville, NC Harley charged for installing wheel bearings on my buddy's dresser. They were never touched. Ha! Their ad is on my home radio right now.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:07 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default I feel like my Dealer took advantage of me

I feel like my Dealer took advantage of me. Let me explain

On Monday I signed the paper work to buy a new Road King and trade in my fat boy. So on Monday the Road King was technically mine and the fat boy was technically theirs. I was supposed to drive my fat boy back to the shop on tuesday and trade it in. On Tuesday I rode my bike to the shop but when I got there I got cold feet, I did not want to trade-in the fat boy. Since the bike was technically theirs, I was afraid that I would lose it. I said to the sales manager "keep the money and give me my bike back". That turned out to be a big mistake. In all honesty, when I said that I really did not think that the sales manage would do it, keep all the money I mean. I was just trying to impress on him that I wanted my bike back. Anyway, thats what happened, they kept all the money I paid the day before ($6000+) and I got my bike back.

When I look at the paper work for the transactions which backed out the deals, I lost $3000 dollars on the trade in of the Road KIng. But I lost $6000 so I must have paid them $3000 to buy back my very own fat boy that then never really ever had possession of. They charged me $874 in transportation and setup charges on my fat boy and I am the one who drove the fat boy to their Dealership.

To make a long story short, I think they took advantage of an emotionally distraught individual. When I said "keep the money and give me my bike back" that should have been a red flag. But instead, I think they saw it as an opportunity.

On Wednesday, I called the Dealer and told him that I thought my penalty for breaking the deal was to extreme. I asked him if I could complete the deal, meaning could I still trade in my fatboy for the Road King. He told me he would call me back but he never did.

On Thursday, I called the Dealer and asked him if he would consider selling me the Road King for cash, meaning, I would not trade-in my fatboy, I would just buy the Road King outright, and would he apply the $6000 dollars from the day before to the purchase of the bike.

I was told that they would not apply the $6000 to the purchase of the Road King but he would sell it to me for clean trade price which was $17,900. (I paid $18000 for it the day before when it was new) So basically, I had to buy it back for the same price I bought it for the day before but I could not apply the $6000 that I paid for it the day before.

As long as I believe that they took advantage of me, I can never go back to that Dealership.

Last edited by BobRR; 08-04-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:21 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

It depends on what the contract says about backing out of the deal. I will tell you that courts are loathe to award damages (keeping your deposit) when no actual damages or losses were incurred.

As far as the arithmetic, you didn't "lose" $3,000 on your trade in since you didn't trade it in and they didn't give you credit for it. However, you paid them $6,000 the day before, and they didn't give it back, so you're out $6,000.

I assume you asked for your deposit back at some point after you said "Keep the money." I assume they refused. You did eventually demand your deposit back, right? Right? If not, go back to the dealership and ask for your deposit back. If they refuse, then you need to go talk to a lawyer. The lawyer will read the contract that you signed and explain your options.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 08-04-2018 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (08-12-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:26 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
It depends on what the contract says about backing out of the deal. I will tell you that courts are loathe to award damages (keeping your deposit) when no actual damages or losses were incurred.

As far as the arithmetic, you didn't "lose" $3,000 on your trade in since you didn't trade it in and they didn't give you credit for it. However, you paid them $6,000 the day before, and they didn't give it back, so you're out $6,000.

I assume you asked for your deposit back at some point after you said "Keep the money." I assume they refused. You did eventually demand your deposit back, right? Right? If not, go back to the dealership and ask for your deposit back. If they refuse, then you need to go talk to a lawyer. The lawyer will read the contract that you signed and explain your options.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply.
It was not a deposit. I paid them the difference between the trade-in value of my fat boy and the new Road King. Does it make a difference that it was not a deposit?

As far as asking for my deposit back, what I did do the next day I called them and told them that I think the penalty I paid for breaking the deal was too much. They told me because it was a new month(August), the books were closed for July and there was nothing that could be done.

Also, you lost me when you said I did not trade-in the Road King. It shows on the paper work that I did. Recall, that I did sign the papers and paid them the money on Monday. So the paper work was done on Monday but the actual bike transfer was not supposed to happen until Tuesday when I brought my bike back to the shop to trade-in. Technically, on tuesday, the Road King was mine and the fat boy was theirs becasue the paper work was signed on Monday.

Last edited by BobRR; 08-04-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences