General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:10 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
It's a bad dealer experience thread. Where you say: "Snarky's Harley in Bumfrickistan" screwed me over by doing this, watch out for them. Not a "I'm not going to say who, but someone was mean to me" thread. That's just trolling. Names and dates or it's just a rant.

There is no "moral compass" test for sales managers. There's a "how good are your numbers" test. And being the sales manager just means he's responsible for all the bike sales not just one or two a week. So he has even more reason to ram you through the system, he's probably got sales guys lining up to get deals approved. He's not your friend, he owes you nothing other than getting a deal that makes the dealership as much money as possible and gets you happy enough to take a bike the door fast. So once again, you said "take my money" and he took it exactly as you asked. That's on you not him.

Harley dealers are not your parents, it's not their responsibility to make sure you don't do inopportune things with your money.
You really should have let this drop so the other fellow from Lisbon could get his question answered. Speaking of which, you did not answer my question.

I asked you if I had paid $20,000 the day before (instead of 6K) and said the same thing "keep the money and give me my bike back". Do you think they would be justified in keeping the $20k and should do it? Its a moral question. What is your answer?

Just so you know, I did call a lawyer about it just so I could figure out if I was being completely unreasonable, give the fact that I did tell them "keep the money and give me my bike back". The lawyer told me that any penalty for breaking a contract has to be reasonable (thats where that moral compass comes in). It does not matter that I uttered the now notorious phrase.

Last edited by BobRR; 08-06-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
You really should have let this drop so the other fellow from Lisbon could get his question answered. Speaking of which, you did not answer my question.

I asked you if I had paid $20,000 the day before (instead of 6K) and said the same thing "keep the money and give me my bike back". Do you think they would be justified in keeping the $20k and should do it? Its a moral question. What is your answer?...
You're the one who keeps whining after people straight up tell you it's on you not them. LET IT GO MAN, YOU SCREWED UP.

And my answer is the same. Whatever the dollar figure is, you made the deal. You signed the papers. You live with the consequence. Is it morally responsible for you as a person to blame other people for every bad decision you make?

And really? Suddenly now you've talked to a lawyer after all the "this isn't a legal issue" harping. This whole scenario just sounds like you are making it up as you go along at this point. Time to give up. The more you post about this the worse you come off.

The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (08-12-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:39 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
You're the one who keeps whining after people straight up tell you it's on you not them. LET IT GO MAN, YOU SCREWED UP.

And my answer is the same. Whatever the dollar figure is, you made the deal. You signed the papers. You live with the consequence. Is it morally responsible for you as a person to blame other people for every bad decision you make?

And really? Suddenly now you've talked to a lawyer after all the "this isn't a legal issue" harping. This whole scenario just sounds like you are making it up as you go along at this point. Time to give up. The more you post about this the worse you come off.
I let it go. You are the one who keeps bringing it up.

If you know anything about the law, you need to know this, the law is based upon what a reasonable man would do.

Its not a legal issue, it is a moral issue. The fact that I spoke with a lawyer and he told me what he told me does not make it a legal issue. For me, this is a moral issue.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

Reasonably prudent person is the proper term, and such one wouldn't give another 6k and tell them to keep it unless you're in Atlantic City or Vegas

The following 2 users liked this post by 6113_:
Gazzalodi (08-06-2018), Old Iron Man (08-12-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Well for you it can be whatever issue you want to call it. Doesn't mean it's anything other than you offered to pay, they said okay and it was done. Give it up.

The fact that people told you to talk to a lawyer and you said it wasn't a legal issue, then tossed out "a lawyer told me" to counter a different argument just means you are bs'ing one way or another.

If you really let it go let us see if you can go without responding to this post.

Last edited by Gazzalodi; 08-06-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:54 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by 6113_
Reasonably prudent person is the proper term, and such one wouldn't give another 6k and tell them to keep it unless you're in Atlantic City or Vegas
And I think that is what makes the "contract" "keep the money and give me my bike back" invalid. It is not what a reasonably prudent person would do. I was obviously emotionally upset when I made that utterance. The sales manager should have recognized it.

Last edited by BobRR; 08-06-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I let it go. You are the one who keeps bringing it up.

If you know anything about the law, you need to know this, the law is based upon what a reasonable man would do.

Its not a legal issue, it is a moral issue. The fact that I spoke with a lawyer and he told me what he told me does not make it a legal issue. For me, this is a moral issue.
Since YOU fired up this discussion, it should be YOU who gives it up. You have some of the most twisted logic I've ever seen...sheesh...It's always somebody else's fault. I can only imagine what the dealer...your pal, apparently...would say about all this...

Old 08-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 899 Likes on 511 Posts

I feel like my Dealer took advantage of me. Let me explain

On Monday I signed the paper work to buy a new Road King and trade in my fat boy. So on Monday the Road King was technically mine and the fat boy was technically theirs. I was supposed to drive my fat boy back to the shop on tuesday and trade it in. On Tuesday I rode my bike to the shop but when I got there I got cold feet, I did not want to trade-in the fat boy. Since the bike was technically theirs, I was afraid that I would lose it. I said to the sales manager "keep the money and give me my bike back". That turned out to be a big mistake. In all honesty, when I said that I really did not think that the sales manage would do it, keep all the money I mean. I was just trying to impress on him that I wanted my bike back. Anyway, thats what happened, they kept all the money I paid the day before ($6000+) and I got my bike back.

When I look at the paper work for the transactions which backed out the deals, I lost $3000 dollars on the trade in of the Road KIng. But I lost $6000 so I must have paid them $3000 to buy back my very own fat boy that then never really ever had possession of. They charged me $874 in transportation and setup charges on my fat boy and I am the one who drove the fat boy to their Dealership.

To make a long story short, I think they took advantage of an emotionally distraught individual. When I said "keep the money and give me my bike back" that should have been a red flag. But instead, I think they saw it as an opportunity.

On Wednesday, I called the Dealer and told him that I thought my penalty for breaking the deal was to extreme. I asked him if I could complete the deal, meaning could I still trade in my fatboy for the Road King. He told me he would call me back but he never did.

On Thursday, I called the Dealer and asked him if he would consider selling me the Road King for cash, meaning, I would not trade-in my fatboy, I would just buy the Road King outright, and would he apply the $6000 dollars from the day before to the purchase of the bike.

I was told that they would not apply the $6000 to the purchase of the Road King but he would sell it to me for clean trade price which was $17,900. (I paid $18000 for it the day before when it was new) So basically, I had to buy it back for the same price I bought it for the day before but I could not apply the $6000 that I paid for it the day before.

As long as I believe that they took advantage of me, I can never go back to that Dealership.
I read through the other discussion and here is what it sounds like happened (though I am not really sure):

-You traded your Fat Boy + $6,000.00 for the Road King. This was done via a signed contract.
-You got cold feet and said you wanted to back out of the deal.
-They sold you you're Fatboy back for $3,000.00 for than they paid for it and bought the Road King back for $3,000.00 less than you paid for it (since it was now used)

If this is correct and you signed the paperwork on the 2nd part of the deal, I am afraid that money is long gone and you have no recourse. Good luck but it sounds like they pulled a fast one on you (shame on them) and you let your emotions get in the way and made a bad deal (shame on you).

Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Studlintsean
I read through the other discussion and here is what it sounds like happened (though I am not really sure):

-You traded your Fat Boy + $6,000.00 for the Road King. This was done via a signed contract.
-You got cold feet and said you wanted to back out of the deal.
-They sold you you're Fatboy back for $3,000.00 for than they paid for it and bought the Road King back for $3,000.00 less than you paid for it (since it was now used)

If this is correct and you signed the paperwork on the 2nd part of the deal, I am afraid that money is long gone and you have no recourse. Good luck but it sounds like they pulled a fast one on you (shame on them) and you let your emotions get in the way and made a bad deal (shame on you).
You are right, I definitely let my emotions get in the way.

Last edited by BobRR; 08-06-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:32 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Did you sign a second contract when you went back and backed out of the deal?

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences