General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM
tatt2zzz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Dealers and Experiences

I went to Bergen County Harley Davidson (New Jersey) and order an 08 ultra without ABS and Security. The sales person said he would have to call a few other dealer ships to find the bike I wanted. Two days go by and I get a call he found a bike with abs and no security system. I said i would take the bike but would not pay for the option. He said he couldn't do it. The next day he called and said he had a bike with a security system and no abs. I told him I would take the bike and would not pay for the option. Again, he said he couldn't do it. He also said that no dealership in the area had the bike I wanted without the options. So he lost a $21000 deal for a $300 security system and or a $700 abs system. Real smart!!! And I had to argue with him to get my deposit back. That same day I called another dealership about the bike I was looking for and he had two on site. And the deal was made.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 PM
TBirdEd76
Cruiser

i had to take my 06 883C back to Gengress HD in East Hartford CT back three times for a sputtering issue off idol. at one point they had it for one week and all they came up with was a loose battery connection.....still sputtered......then i was told it was the way i use the throttle.....IT CAN ONLY BE TURNED ONE WAY!!!!!!! Dr Dyno out of southern CT tuned my bike right for me at a swap meet in stafford springs, they had put in the wrong jets when doing the stage one kit....but Gengress did give me a credit at their service dept for the ammount I spent w/ Dr Dyno......maybe I'll use it for my 5000 mile service......sales dept was good, so was parts........

Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Lancaster HD, Willow St, PA

In 1996 when I wanted to buy my first new Harley, this place tunred me away by not giving me any details on waiting lists and how to buy, took my money elsewhere and bought a new Fatboy.
Just a few weeks agao I was in the market for a bagger, stopped at this same dealer to ask about used bikes, was told they were getting 3 in that week, one of which was an 08 FLHX. I asked about price and was told until is went through the shop they couldn't give a price. I told them I was very interested in the bike and wanted to work with them but kept getting told the same thing. I called later in the week, same story. I told the guy I would be buying a bike in the next few days, if not at their place, then somewhere else. I stopped in the next day at their open house and asked again about the 2008 and was told they just SOLD IT!!! I was ready to kill the saleswoman! Went to Appalachian HD in Carlisle and got a 2007 EGC at a great deal.
I won't EVER step foot in this place again, they could have sold me two bikes in a 12 year period and turned me away both times. I hear alot of negative comments from others about them also.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:53 AM
SPDSTR
Cruiser
Default What do they charge you?

Needing a new rear tire and an oil change I call the local H-D dealer in Eden Prairie, MN 'Wild Prairie Harely-Davidson' and ask for service and ask for a quote. New rear tire installed $235.00 and an oil change [not-synthetic] $90.00 and they promised it back in four days.

I bought a case of synthetic, an oil filter, a couple of o rings, and a new rear tire and did it myself. New tire $116.00 and $44.00 to mount and balance for a grand total of $160.00 and the oil and filter ran about $63.00 bucks.

savings $165.00 bucks....

What's your dealer charge?

Old 08-10-2008, 05:57 AM
billjesstaylor
Stage II
Default Sauk Prairie HD was awsome

Delt with both Wausau HD and Sauk Prairie HD in Sauk City WI. Ended up buying my wife's bike at Sauk Prairie. All around OUTSTANDING service as compared to Wausau HD. And we live in wausau, the 2 1/2 hour drive down to Sauk City and back to Wausau was well worth it. I'm going back to Sauk City to get my 2009 Street Glide...hopefully soon!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDSTR
Needing a new rear tire and an oil change I call the local H-D dealer in Eden Prairie, MN 'Wild Prairie Harely-Davidson' and ask for service and ask for a quote. New rear tire installed $235.00 and an oil change [not-synthetic] $90.00 and they promised it back in four days.

I bought a case of synthetic, an oil filter, a couple of o rings, and a new rear tire and did it myself. New tire $116.00 and $44.00 to mount and balance for a grand total of $160.00 and the oil and filter ran about $63.00 bucks.

savings $165.00 bucks....

What's your dealer charge?
Prices don't sound unreasonable or unusual to me. I prefer to do my own wrenching where possible but mostly it's a trust issue. It costs alot of money to maintain a service facility.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 PM
speedy1972
Stage I
Thumbs down wild fire villa park il Service sucks

I dropped my rim off on sat night service told me it would be done first thing sunday .They have a policy first come first serviced and since I dropped it off Sat night it would be there for them first thing Sunday .I called around one and they told me it would not be done untill the end of the day .I asked if they were busy and the guy said yes .I asked about policy and he replied well you were not here so we did the other work first .I told them not to do it picked it up and I bought a tire at another dealer and put it on myself .This was thwe secound time I have been lied to be this dealer told one of my freinds to buy his bike there and when I went with the sales guy said he would mail me a 50$ gift card for telling him to buy his bike there What a mistake my freind has had nothing but trouble from them about canceling gap insurance and a life insurance policy he submited paper work back in june and he called last week and found out they never submited the cancelation paper work .Thats real nice work on there part I will never set foot in that dealer again.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i hear what you hear

Originally Posted by kupitz
In 1996 when I wanted to buy my first new Harley, this place tunred me away by not giving me any details on waiting lists and how to buy, took my money elsewhere and bought a new Fatboy.
Just a few weeks agao I was in the market for a bagger, stopped at this same dealer to ask about used bikes, was told they were getting 3 in that week, one of which was an 08 FLHX. I asked about price and was told until is went through the shop they couldn't give a price. I told them I was very interested in the bike and wanted to work with them but kept getting told the same thing. I called later in the week, same story. I told the guy I would be buying a bike in the next few days, if not at their place, then somewhere else. I stopped in the next day at their open house and asked again about the 2008 and was told they just SOLD IT!!! I was ready to kill the saleswoman! Went to Appalachian HD in Carlisle and got a 2007 EGC at a great deal.
I won't EVER step foot in this place again, they could have sold me two bikes in a 12 year period and turned me away both times. I hear alot of negative comments from others about them also.
privelige? Uhh? what gives?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i will say this about good or bad dealer.it's really up to you what kind of service you get.you allow them to put the hooks into you then you cant blame nobody but your self. you dont like the service go else where. it has gotten to the point around here anyway there is four dealers within a 50 miles and you see something you want check out the other more times than not. one of them is going to be cheaper.and better service.dont allow them to suck you in.and yes i know it can be hard at times and some times they got you over a barrel. but remember there is always next time .

Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 PM
trumanpeyote
Stage I
Thumbs down Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson - King of Rip Off Artists

Let me just begin by saying that I know used bikes are sold "as is." However, keep in mind that I expected a little more when I went to a dealer to buy a used bike.

I was assured that the bike had been extensively looked at and checked over. I do not live near the dealer, so I had driven down to purchase a bike I saw on their website. Also, I made my purchase right at closing time.

So imagine my disappointment when less than 3 miles from Buddy Stubbs, the exhaust starts to smoke like there is an oil leak. Okay, I figure I will take it to my mechanic and get it fixed, no huge deal. It appears initially that it is just a leaky rocker box. Well, I have to wait a while for the parts to come into stock, they are on backorder, so it takes a few weeks.

Now imagine my shock when I discover that the rear cylinder head has a major crack in it. There is only 2 ways this could have been missed by the Stubbs crew: (1) Sheer incompetence (2) Purposely ripped me off. You make the call, either way sucks.

I contact Stubbs and expect a little cooperation. I am willing to pay for some work, but I fully expect them to help me out a little. Call me crazy, I believe in standing behind your work, and the products you sell.

Stubbs doesn't even return my call. I have to hound them to get them to tell me to "take a hike. Like screw you, we don't care." Obviously rip off artists. I would not send my mother in law to this place, and I hate my mother in law.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences