General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 PM
maxemily
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woodstock Harley in Illinois.

New 12 FLTRU'

They delivered a bike with: bad engine vibe @ 1800 and 4500 rpm (didn't find that out right away), frightening handlebar shake at 45 mph, headlights lit up the front fender nicely, clutch cable retainer broken, and low on trans oil.

Sales was nice.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Stopped in to Rommel HD in Wilmington, formerly Mikes Famous on my way home to NJ from Florida. I have been thinking of buying my next bike now, before a 10,000 mile trip I have planned this summer rather than after. I just bought a used 09 Heritage for the GF 2 weeks ago, so I wasn't all that hot. But there sitting on the floor was exactly what I planned on buying, so I was looking at it and a saleman approached.. Yadda yadda yadda.. Well my bike (a 04 FLHRSI w/26k on it) is out there on the trailer wirth a Heritage, have your manager take a look and throw me a number... So they come back in with 'What will it take?' I said $10k out the door will make me sign today... We got $250 apart, me at $10500, them at $10750, so I walked. Of course next day they call and try all the games and I cut them short, save it, I have been selling heavy equipment for 35 years, all I care about is the check amount. Finally the salesman says, look, $10k +tax & tags.. Ok, done, write it up I'll be over tomorrow morning. I show up, 5 hours later, bike is prepped, my title is signed over to them with milage etc, all the paper is done and they hand me the bill.... They added another $600 in dealer fee crap. I went through the roof. $11,151 out the door. So here I am doing exavtly what I promised, telling the world they are liars. V-twin forum is next. They lost me for good.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

Originally Posted by zopi
Just an observation..Harley likes to hear about bad service at it's dealerships..and they are very proactive with them...I believe there is contact info on the website
where you can report that sort of thing..

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

BTW..the odometer thing..is federal fraud, I do believe...
Theres not much they can do except Suggest something to a dealership seeing they are privately owned and dont have to run the shop according to a set standard of rules conserning their CS or basically anything else. If filed 2 reports with HD and thats the answer i get. They do take down the details and pass them onto regional managers, but they also cant tell the dealership what to do if they dont feel like it. Filed 2 so far first month i had my bike. Went back to the stealership(Performance HD in Syracuse NY) Got no apalogy or anything from the sales guy that tole me When i asked him if it was going to cost me anything for them to look at it and see why it runs like total crap, he says" It depends on if you broke something by rideing it wrong, or any other stuff you might have done by rideing it wrong" I went balistic, Grabbed this turd by the shirt, threw my state cert for teaching the 3 hour refresher course here in my state(even threw the credintials on the desk and told this Umm Guy that ive been ridin bikes of all makes (2 HD's inc) Before he ever heard of a cycle" I proceeded out of the store exchangeing words (AT) him and went to service. Ok drop it off, its 85 out and i have to walk 3 blocks to get a bus. Hour later bus comes, Get to the main hub 10 min later, get the bus that takes me home and 3 minutes into the ride they call and say its ready.
Get off the bus and walk 2 miles back(8 surgeries on my back and i had to walk back) I get there feel my bikes motor and its slightly warm. They say for the second time that theres nothing wrong Persay, and give me a readout that the bike has the stage1 loaded into it, and that the bike is weak and studdery in 3 for rideing the recomended speed of 30mph.(acording to them) Hmm. Bike runs great doing 40 in 4th and 50 in 5th.Hmm. So i take the bike, its STILL running like crap, studdering, missfire every so often, Surges, And had a dangerous condition of staying in a very high rpm for long periods try rideing with it doing that in the city.
I did 3 hours of research on the bike, and some stored codes(light went on the day before while it did the high revs for 5 miles and light never turned off until i restarted the bike but did come on while exiting the highway after 30 minutes of steady 65mph and bike was in high Rpm's AGAIN!) My bro said it sounded like it was going to blow. Ok after researching the code, i went through all the possible problems and eliminated them 1 by 1, I get to the grounding stud and there it is, it was 2 turns loose atleast. Well naturally the bike would run ok the the stealer the cable probably was contacting and sending the right voltage to the sensor motor for the idle. but when it sends anything below 9 volts to it, it stays at the rpm's when it stopped getting the 9 volts. Dangerous way to ride a bike. Im making it a point to go back there and telling them they suck, they couldnt find the problem in 2 visits and i did in about 2 hours of reading then checking the bike.
This shop doesnt even know the size Torx the rear upper shock bolt uses(i needed to take one off) i call them and they say bring it in and we will see(thats the head service guy folks) I mean if you dont know that its a T50 then WTH are you doing working there.

Last straw was the finance manager telling me i should keep the $1000 warenty, because by the sounds of what the bike was doing, Im going to need it. That had to be the single worst thing he could have said. Got that convo on recording on my phone. I was like WTH so you DID sell me a bike that you personally seem to know is going to have some major problems down the road? He said nothing after that. I walked out Adviseing the salesman to not let me see him ever within my personal space if ever see him off the property.

That dealer really sucks.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM
2009cruizer
Novice

Originally Posted by kermit_wisconsin
Dealer parts departments will lie to get you to buy new parts from them.
I have a '98 heritage and needed to get everything together to put a windshield on it. 3 different dealerships told me the bracket system for the oem removeable windshield from a 2002 model wouldnt fit and can't be made to fit a 98. I ordered the parts i needed anyway. i put a windshield together from parts i got from 4 different places, put the bushings on, put the winshield and bracket all together and it fits just like it came with the bike! Glad I didnt buy those stupid muffler bearings they had. Oh and I paid a total of $48 TOTAL for the entire set-up.
Have you ever noticed that most of the guys at the HD shops dont ride much. Lack of experience begats lack of knowledge. Lack of knowledge begets lack of out of the box thinking.
that's why these forums are great for adding our ideas on what works and what doesn't. I have done the similar thing with brackets on windshields in the past and made things work rather smoothly. Same thing for taking the floor boards off a fatboy and adding forward controls. The dude at the counter couldn't figure it out. I was shocked. Now you do find an occasional motor head in there, and if you do, take care of him since he will be your friend forever almost...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Orange County Harley Davidson - stay away

I am thoroughly disgusted with Orange County Harley Davidson in Irvine, CA.

Traded in my '06 Low Rider on a brand new '12 Street Glide and paid cash.

I live nearby and explained that I believe in supporting my local dealership - so I didn't even shop to negotiate the very best price.

When I brought the bike in for my 1K service, I was concerned because they had previously done a service on my '06 and left oil all over it. So I tried to be proactive - and explained my concerns and asked them to be very careful.

Long story short - I had a number of things occur during this service visit which left me very dissatisfied. I wrote an email to the owner to let him know how disappointed I was and to suggest he look at some different policies to improve the service experience.

The result of that email.... HE BANNED ME FROM THE DEALERSHIP. not only will he not do any service for me, he will not let me buy anything in the store. And I had a great relationship with the parts and clothing department.

I have heard about a nearly identical experience from a second person since that time.

I believe it is completely unethical to sell me a $25,000 bike, and then refuse to do any business with me because I was not happy with a service appointment. It is just unbelievable.

I also had a pretty bad experience with one of their sales people. Just didn't listen and didn't respond to questions that I asked. I ended up buying from the sales manager because of this.

In my opinion you will do much better shopping at other OC dealerships. Most importantly, I think that the biking community should demonstrate to this owner that if he abuses his customers - there will be a cost to his sales figures.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I guess we can add Harley Davidson San Jose here.
Once bike sold, no return to calls or emails.
Usual gang of sale persons for which service has not necessarily to follow $$$ being paid.
Unfortunately I have been lazy and rushed the purchase without going to check out the House Of Thunder in Morgan Hill. Never been there, maybe it is time that I start.
They will not see any more dime from me.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Buckeye Harley Davidson Dayton, Ohio

I was in Buckeye Harley Davidson on 6/13/12 to order a part for my bike. They said it would be in the following Mon. or Tue. No Problem. Then I started looking at new bikes, I'm telling you I've never been ignored so much in all my life when I started asking questions about a bike I was interested in. I think this guy was the sales manager too, a little short clown looking dude. I bought my bike there back in 2008 and the salesman that helped me bent over backwards answering questions, his name was Chris Stewart, thats when it was F&S. I'm going back Mon. or Tue to pick up that part and thats the last they are going to see of me. You don't ignore me Mr. Buckeye Harley Davidson. You lost a future sale of a touring bike. Go to Buckminns in Xenia if you want to be treated right. I'll be calling to cancel my service on my bike, I'm taking it to Buckminn's. So good advise to Buckeye, call Chris Stewart back to run the show there.

Last edited by Curt1953; 06-15-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Ramez
Intermediate

The worst dealer is Kuwait Dealer ... they got nothing and if we ordered through them we have to wait 3 weeks to get our items.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM
JonnyO
Novice

Originally Posted by 32vld
Not everyone has the six figure job and is a RUB that wears a three piece weekdays and dress' head to toe as a black leather pirate on the weekends.
"Black leather pirate"!

PRICELESS!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Doctormerida
Stage IV
Default Bad experIence at dealer

I bought a 2009 custom dyana glide very nice bike from red rock Harley and the deal was ok rate on finance. Very bad 19 percent but I loved the bike drive it for 6 months and traded it in on a car that I hated gave me great trade in so I hated that dealer so much 2012 accent car ok but finance guy cheated me so I traded it for a 2012 Chevy Malibu and got such a good deal I love it great car and company Finley treated me great well about a month ago I saw my bike at another dealership and want to. Buy it back. But asking to much I payed 11000 dollars and they want 12500 it has. Been there 8 months can't sell it for that price but don't want to. Budge on price if will sell it for 10500 will. Buy it and I don't understand the. Ike needs new tires.

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences