General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode to Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 769 Posts
Default Rode to Vegas

Last week, I rode from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on a rented Electra Glide Classic. Riding through the mountains and desert was WAY cool, and COLD! I was shivering most of the way to Vegas, and wound up buying some thermal underwear, extra socks and a sweat shirt while I was there. That made the return trip much more enjoyable. I put 650 miles on the bike in 2 days, and, MAN, did it ever feel great to be able to ride for the first time since late November when our crappy Canadian winter weather forced me to put my Night Train into storage. [:'(]

I have to say that the ride was quite comfortable, but I don't really like floorboards instead of pegs, and my Night Train is smoother at highway speed (I'm guessing thanks to the TC88B engine). I found that I got a LOT of vibration in the boards at 80 mph and it made my feet fall asleep after a while, hehehe... now that may just be the nature of floor boards. I'm not really sure.

Regardless, it was a great experience, and I plan on doing it again next year when I go to Cali.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-24-2006, 09:58 PM
JeffD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rode to Vegas

We've been wondering where you have been. Cool to see you were out goofing off properly.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds great to me Clammy dude even with the cold - The fact that you are already planning the next trip tells me you had a ball- Floor-boards all the way for me though!

Old 01-25-2006, 05:30 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Glad to hear that you were able to get a ride in and have some good times before you went back home.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Screamer
Road Captain

Clammy... How long did it take from Los Angeles to Las Vegas?

Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kechour

Clammy... How long did it take from Los Angeles to Las Vegas?
It took me about 6.5 hours going to Vegas because I kept having to stop to warm up, and I got lost a couple of times. Going back to L.A. took about 4.5 hours.

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SPRINGER

Glad to hear that you were able to get a ride in and have some good times before you went back home.
Yeah, it sure was nice to be back in the saddle again after a couple of months!! Of course it drove home just how much I miss riding right now, and that I still have almost 3 months to go before I can ride again.

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Clammy,

I've done that stretch of highway before and enjoyed it too. I'm glad you got to get out and have some fun on the geezer glide. Your vibration problems probably stemmed from all the crap you've read here on the forum. Lean conditions and poor tuning seem to be causing some vibration problems. I've ridden baggers for years with no vibration problem in the floorboards. Hell my lowrider roadglide with the 95 ci motor and 203 cams doesn't even vibrate the way you described the bike you rented. Think how much fun the trip would have been on your train.

Terry

Old 01-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

Clammy, my man. You did my two absolute favorite things in this world (that you can do without a woman). Riding a Harley and going to Vegas. What a great combination!! I am truly jealous.
BA

Old 01-25-2006, 02:48 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you had a great time! I'm jealous. I haven't been on my bike since November either....I'm itching to ride something awful!

Quick Reply: Rode to Vegas