General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get a replacement key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to get a replacement key?

Security fob brings up another issue. In case you don't know it--you need to make sure you have put in your personal security code. I had a key fob go out in a lonely place. Battery was kaput in key fob. I was sitting with my knife against the button in my pocket. Had to pull out card with instructions on which blinker when and how many times to do this and that to enable the security system to start bike. When it quits--it quits.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Pulchritude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldairboater

Security fob brings up another issue. In case you don't know it--you need to make sure you have put in your personal security code. I had a key fob go out in a lonely place. Battery was kaput in key fob. I was sitting with my knife against the button in my pocket. Had to pull out card with instructions on which blinker when and how many times to do this and that to enable the security system to start bike. When it quits--it quits.

Yep! That is the next thing I will tackle. Read somewhere that if the previous owner has set it, it is a pain in the azz to get it cleared out.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've ran into bikes that have had either the whole lock set replaced or just the ignition switch replaced and the VIN number would not match the key code.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM
x2lee
Banned

I am guessing you can get it out?? use needle pliers...Take it to ANY decent locksmith he can cut one just with the shaft. If he cant then the dealer can order you one off the VIN, dont buymore than you have toobecause any keymaker in town can cut one for 2 bucks...
ORIGINAL: Pulchritude

Any body know how hard it will be for me to get a replacement key?

I had to move my bike a little this morning. I put the key into unlock the fork and move the bike. Left the key in their like I used to do on my Sporty. And proceeded to mangle the key. [:@]

I bought the bike used and got only one key (this is a great item to add to the list of why you should always have a spare key) and now I am wondering how long it will be before I can ride again!

Will I have to go to the dealership to order the key and then wait for them to order it from the company and get it shipped to me? Or will I get lucky in that it will be a somewhat easier (or rather less lengthy) process?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya I decoded my cuts on my Ace key and cut me a couple so I could have one in my pocket, my vest and my wifes vest and leave one at home. Just in case !

Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The key, they can order overnight emergency but it cost extra. the security fob is not an issue I got a replacement off ebay for 12 bucks total, but a couple of people here offered an extra for free, they are easy to program takes about 5 minutes to include reading. well you are in texas maybe 10 minutes for you.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't wait till you lose both keys that you got and take yer bike and key to a locksmith they can put yer ace key into a machine and cut you one for around 6.50 or so.
CAll the locksmith and make sure that they duplicate Ace keys.
Its the standard 137 key.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Pulchritude
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: tlb

The key, they can order overnight emergency but it cost extra. the security fob is not an issue I got a replacement off ebay for 12 bucks total, but a couple of people here offered an extra for free, they are easy to program takes about 5 minutes to include reading. well you are in texas maybe 10 minutes for you.
I know you sent this yesterday... But I just got through reading it! Thanks!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:57 PM
SkipOgden
Stage I

I had a barrel key made for my Ultra Classic at the local locksmith. $3.50 and it took 2 minutes. If you don't need your key to say Harley Davidson, that beats the $28 I paid for keys this spring for my Sportster.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey skip,

You do realize, don't you, that you replied to a thread that died 8 months ago?

Just sayin'

Quick Reply: How to get a replacement key?