General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow primary leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Pagman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow primary leak

Oh no! I have an oil leak on my harley. Who would've seen THAT coming? Ugh. Here is my issue...

I have an 02 dyna fxdx with a slow oil leak coming from the primary right by the drain bolt. The drain bolt is fine. I think the primary needs a new gasket, but not too sure. The leak actually started when I thought one of the primary cover bolts (the one closest to the drain bolt) was the actual drain bolt. Boy did I make a mistake and I think I disturbed the primary's gasket. Anyway, the leak is not a drip-drip leak, but more like it's a spot on the ground in the morning kinda leak. When I don't ride for a few days, the spot looks more saturated. As we know, the primary requires a quart of oil, but how much oil can the primary run on before too little is in effect? I'm thinking of adding more than a quart for the meantime (to prevent refilling often), but how much extra oil can I add before the extra is too much?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Its your shifter shaft seal.....Any way that's the kind of leak I had on my 02 Electra Glide. First thought it was the plug, then the primary gasket. Finally took it to an indy and soon as I told him what was going on he knew what he needed to fix. Could be what is leaking on your bike.....

Trucky911

Last edited by Trucky911; 10-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Pagman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trucky911
Its your shifter shaft seal.....Any way that's the kind of leak I had on my 02 Electra Glide. First thought it was the plug, then the primary gasket. Finally took it to an indy and soon as I told him what was going on he knew what he needed to fix. Could be what is leaking on your bike.....

Trucky911
Thanks for that informative reply. I'll definitely give it a look.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Are you using gear oil in the tranny? If so smell it. If it smells like gear oil instead of regular oil, then it is probably your shifter shaft seal. If it smells like motor oil, then your probably right, it's coming from your primary.
If your using Syn 3 in all three holes, oh well.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Pagman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arlinsg
Are you using gear oil in the tranny? If so smell it. If it smells like gear oil instead of regular oil, then it is probably your shifter shaft seal. If it smells like motor oil, then your probably right, it's coming from your primary.
If your using Syn 3 in all three holes, oh well.
Gear oil in the tranny. It's definitely motor oil. So judging by what you're saying, it seems unlikely that it's a shifter shaft problem. Can there be any possibilities other than a gasket leak? Would you know if adding more than a quart of oil can do harm to the primary?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:22 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

If it is your primary cover leaking, it should be obvious. If it is your outer primary gasket leaking it could look like it is dripping from your drain plug.
Start off with draining your primary and using some thread tape on your drain plug, when you re-install. If that doesn't solve the leak, then you'll need to pull the outer primary and replace the gasket.
I wouldn't put to much than a quart in, as it might affect your clutch.
Basically the oil is just slopping around in there keeping everything wet. If it runs a little low, it shouldn't hurt anything. You should be able to add a little oil thru your inspection cover, without having to take your primary cover off....use a turkey baster, or something like that. There is less chance of that gasket leaking when you re-use it.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the torque on the primary cover bolts? Have you retorqued to specs and not guessed at it? Sometimes the simple stuff still works.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pagman
Oh no! I have an oil leak on my harley. Who would've seen THAT coming? Ugh. Here is my issue...

I have an 02 dyna fxdx with a slow oil leak coming from the primary right by the drain bolt. The drain bolt is fine. I think the primary needs a new gasket, but not too sure. The leak actually started when I thought one of the primary cover bolts (the one closest to the drain bolt) was the actual drain bolt. Boy did I make a mistake and I think I disturbed the primary's gasket. Anyway, the leak is not a drip-drip leak, but more like it's a spot on the ground in the morning kinda leak. When I don't ride for a few days, the spot looks more saturated. As we know, the primary requires a quart of oil, but how much oil can the primary run on before too little is in effect? I'm thinking of adding more than a quart for the meantime (to prevent refilling often), but how much extra oil can I add before the extra is too much?
It's not as bad as you think it is...Tighten down the fastener you thought was the drain plug a small bit more..About 1/16 of a turn and go from there. It's not rocket science here!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 AM
spiritrider48
Intermediate

I had the same problem years ago with my Evo. Try using just a little less than a quart. All you need in the primary is enough fluid so your chain runs through it. Then as you go down the road a mist bathes your clutch. It worked on the evo's.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I would go with Trucky in that it is the shifter seal. I had the same lead could not really find exactly where it was coming from. Changed trans oil to Red Line sure enough when it did leak it was red. Mine only would put a drop of oil on the garage floor every once in a while. After wiping it down it would take awhile before it would spot the floor again.

Quick Reply: Slow primary leak