General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discoloration on New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 PM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discoloration on New Wheels

I have an ' 08 Ultra Classic and notice that after cleaning my wheels, (stock polished aluminum and black, non-spoked), the interior of the wheel rim on the alumiun surface has stains, or perhaps etching marks. I've tried Mother's Mag Wheel cleaner and Chrome Polish without success. I've been told conflicting information from multiple HD dealers as to whether stock wheels are, or are not, clear-coated. Hence, I've been hesitant to use something a little more abrasive. Any suggestions on how to clean these brand new wheels?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
pirateheadman
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Discoloration on New Wheels

My '07s are the same way. I don't think they're clear coated. I never used any acid wheel cleaner or anything but liquid soap and mine did it. Blue Magic metal cleaner will shine them up, but it's a pain if you get it on the black part of the wheels. It is disappointing that they get this way, unlike any car wheels I've ever had.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
thehueg
Cruiser

Do you find, as I do, that although the interior surface has developed these little etching lines, the sides of the wheels have remained as shiny as the day the bike was new, even though they're made of the same material?

Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a scotchbrite pad,,, fugg it,,, fine scratches or black stains????

cheap brake pads, are the cause

Old 03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
thehueg
Cruiser

Do the stains come back after you Scotchbrite the wheels? Seems odd they couldn't produce a wheel that wouldn't stain on a $22,000 bike?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Andouille
Cruiser

They are not clear coated, the reason for staining. I use Mother's aluminum polish and it seems to protect them from stains for a little while. It's not easy, you have to rub a good bit and everything getsblack (something like Brasso) that is when you know you are doing some good.Been using this stuff on show cars.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They all look like $hit when they are new, Put the bike on a lift, so the wheels spin freely, and use Bue Magic Metal Polish Cream on them. 15-20 minutes per wheel and they will look 1st class. I use harley spray on detailer (black $5.95 aerosol can) on the entire bike including the wheels, and the bike looks great 100% of the time.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
brian falcone
Tourer

same problem here...the bike was kept clean but the rims are now dull with grey and black oxidation,,,,nothing will take it off...sooooo when it comes time for new tires im going to bead blast the rims and paint them flat black...i cant see having to polish the rims every week......and no they are not clear coated......should have spent the money on the laced chrome rims....oh well...at least im not cleaning the fu%#ers any more. brian

Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: brian falcone

same problem here...the bike was kept clean but the rims are now dull with grey and black oxidation,,,,nothing will take it off...sooooo when it comes time for new tires im going to bead blast the rims and paint them flat black...i cant see having to polish the rims every week......and no they are not clear coated......should have spent the money on the laced chrome rims....oh well...at least im not cleaning the fu%#ers any more. brian
Once treated with blue magic they look nice for a long time. And if they need to be repolished every year or so, 15-20 minutes is no big deal.