General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the lightest DOT half helmet with 3 buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default the lightest DOT half helmet with 3 buttons?

What the lightest dot half helmet that I can put the three button shield on. looking to buy one even will go used. Are their any good sites to by helmets for a good price? I was thinking Simpson or Bell Shortys and addin the face sheild. I need one for riding to work and need one thats light for I got some really bad neck problems that are taking their toll on me. what are these carbon fibre helmets? Do they all have styrofoam insides or are their any alternitives to that. If anyones in the military the new cash helmets are just a tab bit to heavy still but still lighter than the skid lidz brad that I currently have to have to get to work. Thats the best way to descride the wieght i am looking for.thanks for all the help everyone. Any pics of the helmets being worn would help also but I am more interested in the wieght than the look.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: the lightest DOT half helmet with 3 buttons?

Very light carbon fiber. http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
jbhoyle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jafrum, HelmetsRus, Helmetcity, Leatherup, Compitition Accessories, Or just Google M/C Helmets. Have been looking for a new one myself. Can't find one I happy with. Have ordered 2 already, wife is going to keep one, sending the other back.(HCI Vintage) My wife kept the THH Carbon Fiber. Looks good on her, looks like mushroom headon me.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

I think i would really enjoy them I ve had my eye on them for a couple of days now. Their just alittle pricey but look like thier worth every penny I wish i could do that now but maybe ill just have to save for a couple more checks. thanks
ORIGINAL: cHarley

Very light carbon fiber. http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 PM
drdave
Cruiser

there are not many true carbon fiber dot helmets. most are simply a carbon fiber design exterior. i have one of the helmets from carbonfiberhelmets.com as does my wife. they are very light weight - to the point of feeling odd. they do not fit very well though - i have seen several threads on the forums asking why they do not fit very well. the main reason is there is no thick padding that will mold to the shape of your head. they simply have about 3/16 to 3/8" padding that is fairly firm, so unless your head matches the shape of the helmet, it is somewhat loose unless you pull the chin strap very tight. they are fairly easy to pull back over the top of your head even when correctly positioned and the chin strap is in place. i have serious doubts about their ability to provide good protection in direct blows to the head that are possibly severe. i would personally not buy one again. i wear it in the summer when it is very hot here, but more and more have reservations about it.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Dragon Rider
Cruiser

www.thehelmetsource.com
Try is one.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:23 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I am fortunate to live within a couple hours drive of ACC's facility in Orlando FL. I went to the factory to get mine to make sure I got a good fit. I found that their helmet sizing thends to run 1 size small, I normally wear a large but took an X-large in the ACC. Their helments also come in a standard and an elongated shape which is longer front to back and not as wide. Had I just ordered my normal "large" size from them I would not have been happy with the fit, but by going to the "X-large elongated" the thing fits like a glove. At $175 for a real carbon fiber helmet the price is really not bad. HDF members also get a 10% discount.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

It sounds like a geat helmet but I want to stay under $100 is their any alternites or any where they would sell those helmets used. does anyone run a Bell shorty or simpson shorty