General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Hayviator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lemon Experiences?

We bought a lemon Ultra Classic Limited , problems have far exceeded what is necessary to get relief under Washington state's Lemon Law but factory rep has turned an unfortunate situation into a real nightmare by trying to turn it into a sales opportunity rather than back the defective product and do what is right. Anyone have any experience getting any real customer service out of HD? Little doubt that HD is going to be buying this bike back under the law but given the total lack of anything resembling customer service, having serious reservations about replacing this bike with another HD.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

From what I've been reading here and experiences some of my friends have had over the last couple of years I don't think I'd be buying a new one. Not unless I was willing to have to fight tooth and nail to get **** fixed.

My neighbor has an Ultra (I think it's an 09 or a 10) and complained for over two years to our local dealer about the jiffy stand being too short. He even found a service bulletin on it online and when he mentioned that to the dealer they told him he waited to long an they wouldn't fix it. Told him he needed to buy a center stand.

After several calls to the MOCO he finally talked to someone that was sympathetic and they fixed it last week.

Just don't seem like they are willing to back their products anymore. I can't speak from personal experience because I've never had a problem with any Harley I've ever owned that cropped up while it was still under warranty.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Not sure how the outcome will be yet, but my '11 Heritage has been at the dealership for a month tomorrow. In Oklahoma, a claim using the Lemon Law had to be exercised within a year from date of delivery or before the warranty period expires whichever is sooner; bike is well over a year old so I'm screwed there.
What I can say is the service department has been working on it since day one trying to resolve the problem, and have been updating me on a regular basis. I've asked the MOCO for assistance; they stated that the cause of the problem has to be determined before they're able to see if they can help me.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Never been in your situation and I hope it works out, but I would have a lawyer no matter what

Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerkedaround
We bought a lemon Ultra Classic Limited , problems have far exceeded what is necessary to get relief under Washington state's Lemon Law but factory rep has turned an unfortunate situation into a real nightmare by trying to turn it into a sales opportunity rather than back the defective product and do what is right. Anyone have any experience getting any real customer service out of HD? Little doubt that HD is going to be buying this bike back under the law but given the total lack of anything resembling customer service, having serious reservations about replacing this bike with another HD.
Care to elaborate what he problems are? Maybe the members here can help.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Hayviator
Cruiser

We're beginning to suspect that zero customer service may be part of HD corporate culture. Sound HD, the local dealer, has been great and has found defects in virtually all components of the motor causing half the powerplant to have been replaced (cylinders, pistons, rockers, lifters, heads), but the problem remains and it's been parked for weeks now as something in the primary or trans. sounds like it's going to come apart at some point and we don't want to be clipping along at 65 when that happens.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm a Victory Dealer and I approve this message.

Originally Posted by jerkedaround
We're beginning to suspect that zero customer service may be part of HD corporate culture. Sound HD, the local dealer, has been great and has found defects in virtually all components of the motor causing half the powerplant to have been replaced (cylinders, pistons, rockers, lifters, heads), but the problem remains and it's been parked for weeks now as something in the primary or trans. sounds like it's going to come apart at some point and we don't want to be clipping along at 65 when that happens.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Hayviator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by firefighter616
Never been in your situation and I hope it works out, but I would have a lawyer no matter what
We consulted a lawyer initially who specialized lemon-law cases and were basically told that our case was such a slam-dunk that his services were likely not needed but now that we've had a taste HD's customer service, an attorney is now on-board.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Keep us posted.

Fortunately for me my 2011 FXDWG has been pretty solid in the almost 2 years and 34K miles I've had it. I'd have no problem buying another new HD between the good sales experiance at the dealer I've got it from and the service work I have had done to it at the dealer (1 tire and repairing a hole in the primary that I got coming back from AZ)

Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: Lemon Experiences?