General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most reliable HD engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Most reliable HD engines

Think about this......

The Twin Cam has been out for HOW many years????? It isonly2.5 years older than the V-ROD engine

The first 6 years track record of the Evo engine was?????? Our shop had plenty of issues with the Evo in the '80's

So now compare those 2 facts with the reliability and PROVEN TRACK performance of the REVO engine (no comparision IMHO).... cause we all know how good the Evo did at the track the first 6 years of its life....

2002 was the first year of the REVO engine... that means it was sold to the public in Sept. of 2001

ORIGINAL: harleydude68

Revolutions over a long period of time??????? Um what when did they come out 2003?? The Evo came out 1/2 way through 1984 and was produced until 2000 (I think) that's 16 years. My 86 FXR when I sold her had over 50k and still running strong - VERY strong. The guy who was lucky enough to buy her is a VERY happy man and he will put another 50k before he would have to do any major engine work.

I have no doubt the Revolution is a good motor. But it hasn't been around long enough to make a statement that it stands the test of time. IMO

Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Diavolo
Banned

Do we even consider the REVO for this since it's technically not even a Harley motor. Did they have any input in it besides "make it sound like a Harley"?

Okay, okay, don't get your panties in an uproar, we can include the REVO. I was just kidding around. Now go get yourself one of those foo-foo coffees from one of those over-priced yuppie coffee joints and calm down.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Diavolo

Do we even consider the REVO for this since it's technically not even a Harley motor. Did they have any input in it besides "make it sound like a Harley"?

Okay, okay, don't get your panties in an uproar, we can include the REVO. I was just kidding around. Now go get yourself one of those foo-foo coffees from one of those over-priced yuppie coffee joints and calm down.
Obviously you are putting something funny in your coffee......

with the proven track record of the engine you voted for it is clear to me you don't know what you are comenting about...... but, you probably think that H-D stands for Hardley-Dangerous...lol

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

ORIGINAL: Diavolo
technically not even a Harley motor. Did they have any input in it besides "make it sound like a Harley"?
So, the VR1000 wasn't a Harley race bike? Care to guess how much engineering Porsche Engineering did on the Evo, or how much they've for HD ingeneral?

No need to flame you. Just make sure you're wearing your Nomex jacket when we pass you.
Yuppie bike!That rightthere is funny, I don't care who ya are. I don't believe I've ever been called a yuppie before. In close to 40 years of riding, 30 years on street bike, Redneck maybe, but never a Yuppie.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:25 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

The Twinkie is a good motor, once you get past the cam bearing issues of the first 2 years, then follow up with the tensioner pads for the next few years....Hmmmm, my vote goes for the Evo.
Never had an issue or seen a problem that wasn't owner induced.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:52 AM
cray49a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twin cams cameout to about 2000 or so right? Evos been here a long time and have proven to be reliable. Have a 99 in a special c and a 94 in a FLHTCUI. Run like tops.Rarely abused.Ran the 94 1240 miles from Lake Arrowhead, CA to Phoenix, to Tomstone, to Bisbee (and back). Thank God for ear plugs!

[IMG]local://upfiles/34000/C389F50CB0934477B6FD41928AAA11ED.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/34000/AEE6C166EDF84D948B539CDC868F69CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the V-Rod engine isn't a Harley engine since it's not a 45 degree OHV V twin and it's water-cooled, plus it's all metric. So there's no way it can be considered a Harley engine. Oh, and Willie G didn't have one thing to do with it.
But I have to agree it's very reliable. When all it does is sit in the dealerships holding the doors open on nice days, how can it EVER wear out?
As to which REAL Harley engine is the most reliable, it has to be between the Evo and the Twin Cam. The Evo had weak lifters the whole time it was made, and had weak inner cam bearings from '92 on, plus had the crank bearing pressed into the soft aluminum engine case instead of a steel insert for the last 8 or 10 years. They never got the base gaskets right, although that doesn't really affect reliability.
The Twin Cam started off with a horrendously bad cam drive design, but they claim the more recent changes have improved it. I think only gear drive can improve it. Then, in '03 I think, they changed to a much weaker sprocket side crank bearing, abandoning the nearly bullet-proof twin Timken setup, and there is much talk of engine failure when more power is sought, or when mileage gets up in the 100K range. And don't the 96's have the lifters riding in (and wearing out) the engine case instead of lifter blocks? They did solve the base gasket and lifter problems in the TC design.
Overall, I'd have to give a clear edge to the early Evos. The ones with the steel crank bearing inserts and the Torrington cam bearings are probably the best motorcycle engine ever. And of course there are many aftermarket Evos that have eliminated all the flaws the HD versions had.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 PM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mp

Well, the V-Rod engine isn't a Harley engine since it's not a 45 degree OHV V twin and it's water-cooled, plus it's all metric. So there's no way it can be considered a Harley engine. Oh, and Willie G didn't have one thing to do with it.
But I have to agree it's very reliable. When all it does is sit in the dealerships holding the doors open on nice days, how can it EVER wear out?
As to which REAL Harley engine is the most reliable, it has to be between the Evo and the Twin Cam. The Evo had weak lifters the whole time it was made, and had weak inner cam bearings from '92 on, plus had the crank bearing pressed into the soft aluminum engine case instead of a steel insert for the last 8 or 10 years. They never got the base gaskets right, although that doesn't really affect reliability.
The Twin Cam started off with a horrendously bad cam drive design, but they claim the more recent changes have improved it. I think only gear drive can improve it. Then, in '03 I think, they changed to a much weaker sprocket side crank bearing, abandoning the nearly bullet-proof twin Timken setup, and there is much talk of engine failure when more power is sought, or when mileage gets up in the 100K range. And don't the 96's have the lifters riding in (and wearing out) the engine case instead of lifter blocks? They did solve the base gasket and lifter problems in the TC design.
Overall, I'd have to give a clear edge to the early Evos. The ones with the steel crank bearing inserts and the Torrington cam bearings are probably the best motorcycle engine ever. And of course there are many aftermarket Evos that have eliminated all the flaws the HD versions had.

So you personally know Willie and he told you he had nothing to do with the V-Rod.............got to love know-it-alls............NOT!

and just because the V-Rod engine is not a 45 degree v don't mean it's not Harley-Davidson.....if you will remember the first Harley-Davidson bike ever made was a single...........guess that means all the V-twins aren't Harley either.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
o2man98
Novice

ORIGINAL: mp

You lost your credibility in your first 2 sentences.

The first HD engine was a single from 03-34 in various sizes plus the Hummer and Topper single cylinder Harley engines. For your educational purposed there were also no OHV engines until 1936 when the Knucklehead was released. Not to mention the snowmobile engine that Harley "never" built. Suck it up!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser

all in all a very weak poll IMHO and this is nothing personal but.....

no sportster choice -

changed poll mid way through -

and a couple other's I won't mention

By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Quick Reply: Most reliable HD engines