Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   SYN VS REG OIL?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/224111-syn-vs-reg-oil.html)

MAX EVO 04-22-2008 05:02 PM

SYN VS REG OIL??

How many use reg dino oil as opposed to Synthetic?I was told if you change your oil every 1,000 to 1,500 miles and run an oil cooler especially in the south west.There is no need for the more expensive synthetic.Even thou the interval oil changes are longer with syn reg oil seems to be still cheaper.Plus they say you should not break in a bike with syn do to possibly glazing the piston rings.Not sure what is true or not just what I have been told opinions welcomed thx

FGC 04-22-2008 05:15 PM

RE: SYN VS REG OIL??

imo when you drop $20,000 on a bike you should use the better oil the cost does not appear to be prohibitive-sort of like using premium gas

RMBLON 04-22-2008 05:17 PM

Do a search on the subject, I think you will get an overwhelming Syn favoritism. Price being no consequence. The protection, cooler running, and much quieter running. But like you said Dino oil at the right interval will make an engine run just as long, I would think. Personally I switched to Mobil One at about 6K and love it.

Soft06 04-22-2008 05:28 PM

It's your ride, put in what YOU want. Like previous have said, "do a search" you will find hours of reading material. Iknow the synthetics offer more protection at high temps, and what impressed me on synthectic oils is the molecular structure is the same throughout.
Ride safe, and often

oldfartjc 04-22-2008 05:44 PM

I have always usedHD 20W50 Dino oil and see no reason to switch. As far a running quieter on Synthetic, I've been told it actually runs noisier by a couple of different people due to synthetic being thinner. I don't plan on switching and I don't change oil except at the recommended intervals as it's just a waste of money to change every 1000 to 1500 miles. I also live in hotter then HELL Phoenix and I don't run an oil cooler, so I guess I must be doing everything wrong. LOL :D

xcelr8 04-22-2008 06:40 PM

whoever told you to change your oil every 1,000 to 1,500 miles is playing a cruel joke on you. Go by the owners manual and you will not go wrong. Nobody knows your bike better than the guys who built it!

fly_by_day 04-22-2008 06:41 PM

Synthetic runs cooler, I have tested it myself. I use it in both bikes but I run it 4000 miles as well. Helps with the cost. A cooler... Where I live is a waste of time without a fan behind it. If your moving the bike stays cool anyway. It's when your standing still or puttin around is when it gets to hot and then the cooler does'nt do any good. Unless of course you have the fan. You can also buy a fan that blows between the cylinders that mounts in place of your horn if your worried about the temp of your engine.

cardboard 04-22-2008 07:03 PM

Guess there's a lot of new riders today. Think sittin on top of a motorcycle is suppose to run cool. The heat from the engine is hot. A oil cooler isn't going to do you much good. Yer on a air cooled engine. Synthetic will make the engine a little louder but it reduced wear and helps a little with heat. I ride in Texas, its been in the 80's for a while except for a few cool fronts blowing threw. Never used a oil cooler and don't plan on using one. A motorcycle is suppose to run around 225* or so, they ain't suppose to run real cool. Another big problem with the heat on the new bikes if they are running lean. Proper head work, a cam, high flow air box and a good set of 2in1 pipesand a good tuner like the Thundermax with A/T will cool yer bike down better than
a oil cooler.

Soft06 04-22-2008 07:04 PM

If coolers do no good, why does HD put themOE on some of their brand new SE bikes?
Coolers reduce the temperature of your oil, period. Even if you're not moving, the oil cooler fins dump some heat, it's been proven.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

xxxflhrci 04-22-2008 07:23 PM

dino.....69k on my Twin Cam and still runs like new.