General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Movin to Germany -- what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was there in 72 muchen, uperamergough. toun in zucspit mountians verry cool country well keptbut this was during olimpics.....

Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Ship a **** load of oil....

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Expect ya ought to brush up on your german!!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by loseranacummins
Hey gang.

New guy here...currently in the sandbox VERY anxiously awaiting my return to the states in Dec and purchase of a new RKC. After a few months in the states, I've been blessed with a move to Stuttgart, Germany. And guess who I'm takin? My new chrome baby.

So I'm just pickin your guys' brains on what to expect moving over there.

My main worry is registering the thing (over there) and insurance. Also, what are the shops/dealers like? Is gettin parts/add-ons gonna be hell?

I'm still a ways out...but starting to get anxious and tryin to get all the info I can to help myself out for the big move.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for making this a GREAT forum!!

TJ
No worries! Expect to pay significantly more for insurance however. I insured with USAA over there, but there are other companies that will insure you. I left in 2003, and back then getting a motorcycle license (required for U.S. service personnel) was a royal PITA. My buddy is the HMFIC MSF honcho over there...if you need info, PM me. AAFES sells everything you'll need for do-it-yourself maintenance. There are several German HD dealerships in the Stuttgart area...rates are comparable to the U.S. rates for service, perhaps a bit higher now since the dollar is in the tank. You can order your RK through military sales, and have it delivered to you in Germany. That may be a better plan than buying one in the States and having the hairless gorillas pack and ship your bike as household goods. You will have a great time in Germany. There is a big national HD (HOG) rally in August of every year in southern Germany...I didn't get a chance to go (I was tied up as a Bde commander, deployed to both Afghanistan and Iraq during my tour), but some of my buds said it was a great time. Careful of the drinking and riding over there...the Polizei will fry your a$$, and then the UCMJ will finish off your remains. My advice: see as much as you can, don't put off going places and seeing things for "later". Time flies, and the opportunity may never come around again. Good luck, have a blast, and enjoy the opportunity! Rangers Lead the Way! A06