General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Movin to Germany -- what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 AM
loseranacummins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Movin to Germany -- what to expect?

Hey gang.

New guy here...currently in the sandbox VERY anxiously awaiting my return to the states in Dec and purchase of a new RKC. After a few months in the states, I've been blessed with a move to Stuttgart, Germany. And guess who I'm takin? My new chrome baby.

So I'm just pickin your guys' brains on what to expect moving over there.

My main worry is registering the thing (over there) and insurance. Also, what are the shops/dealers like? Is gettin parts/add-ons gonna be hell?

I'm still a ways out...but starting to get anxious and tryin to get all the info I can to help myself out for the big move.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for making this a GREAT forum!!

TJ

Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Movin to Germany -- what to expect?

farmlands and hedgerows? no wait that was in the fourties.they have " octoberfest " autobaun open her up! good luck and have fun.ride safe

Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Expect some Great beer! Yep. And no speed limit on the Autobahn (freeway).

Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

It's a site/forum more geared to adventure touring, but it's probably the most international (in terms of members) forum on motorcycling. Lots of info on moving bikes into/out of different countries, and lots of Germans posting there.

Good luck in Stuttgart!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

You will get tax free NATO/Army plates for about 20 bucks and expect to go through some more rider's training. After market parts are extrememly expensive on the economy but many online retailers ship to APO so you can still get stuff pretty cheap from the states. I'd tuck a case or two of your favorite oil in your stuff when it's packed because on the German economy that stuff is extremely expensive. AAFES doesn't always stock everything you'd like. Some extra oil filters would be good to have too.

Stuttgart is a really nice area, near the black forest, Austria, Switzerland, and the German Alps. Get some good rain gear

Thanks for serving man and make sure you make it home safe!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in Germany in the 70's and I remember it being a bitch to get a drivers license things may be differant now,
wait till you get the bill for filling your tank. Their were alot of cobblestone roads when I was there some great roads I wish I could go back lots of history very cool place.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Snakum
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: WildBillAce2

You will get tax free NATO/Army plates for about 20 bucks and expect to go through some more rider's training. After market parts are extrememly expensive on the economy but many online retailers ship to APO so you can still get stuff pretty cheap from the states. I'd tuck a case or two of your favorite oil in your stuff when it's packed because on the German economy that stuff is extremely expensive. AAFES doesn't always stock everything you'd like. Some extra oil filters would be good to have too.

Stuttgart is a really nice area, near the black forest, Austria, Switzerland, and the German Alps. Get some good rain gear

Thanks for serving man and make sure you make it home safe!!!
That's about what it was like in the late 80s, too. And you'll love the scenery and and you'll love the people. And of course ... the BEER! Great country for riding, if a bit limited iby weather. Just be aware that there are a TON of 1%er clubs over there now, and who you hang out with can have consequences. Just keep it in mind.

Also ... there is, indeed, a speed limit on the autobahn. And nowadays it is actually enforced a little bit, too. I've never owned a scooter that felt comfortable over 90 mph anyway. Enjoy the ride.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yah the biker gangs back in the 70's they rode mopeds funny to see them pul up looking bad *** on there mopeds.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 AM
loseranacummins
Cruiser

Thanks for all the quick replies guys.

Being from the land of cheese and beer (WI ) I know I'll love the place! Can't wait!

Not really sure what to expect for training/licensing/etc. Sounds like I'll get a European license and most likely will have to take a motorcycle course to ride on base (same as the states). No biggie.

From shop talk around here, insurance isn't too bad. I guess I'll find out soon.

And ze autobahn...ahh... I'm holding on the R1 just for that reason. [8D]

Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Vector
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Snakum
Also ... there is, indeed, a speed limit on the autobahn. And nowadays it is actually enforced a little bit, too. I've never owned a scooter that felt comfortable over 90 mph anyway. Enjoy the ride.
The majority of Autobahn has no speed limit. From Wiki:

"On average, about three quarters of the total length of the German autobahn network has no speed limit, about one quarter has a permanent limit, and the remaining parts have a temporary limit for a number of reasons."

Quick Reply: Movin to Germany -- what to expect?