Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   riding center line (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/227489-riding-center-line.html)

honestbob 04-30-2008 11:52 AM

riding center line

Is it just me or more bikers riding on the center line? I've been riding going on fifty years now and in the last ten years it seems like I see it a lot mainley at ralleys. I read about a lot of head on bike to bike crashes now and I don't remember that in the past. I will ride the line when no one is coming but will move over when meeting traffic. seems like some riders i've seen latley act like it's some kinda macho thing to not move off the line when meeting oncoming traffic. Maybe it,s allways been like this and I'm just noticeing it now that I'm an old fart!

huffhuff 04-30-2008 11:59 AM

RE: riding center line

i ride there as it gives me more road to use, i have better visibility of my surroundingsand i'm more visible than if i'm off to the right.

rocknrod 04-30-2008 12:02 PM

Think Darwin and you'll understand.;)

TwiggyAZ 04-30-2008 12:10 PM

I'll never understand it. My DH was a new rider about 6 years ago and he would ride that line. I would bug the heck out of him to just get over a little more, you don't know who's mirror is sticking out. He didn't until a car DID cross the line coming at him. He avoided death, but he's never ridden that line since. I always ride right.

ILTim 04-30-2008 12:28 PM

In my cage, if an oncoming driver wants to put rubber on the centerline, I'll do it too. Nuff said.

I see way to many bikes doing this.

MNPGRider 04-30-2008 01:01 PM

A lot of riders, even with experience, don't seem to realize that even though their front tire isright of center, that much of their bike is hanging over, especially in left hand sweepers and they are leaning into the curve. The next time you are following riders, pay attention to their outside edge...bags or bag rails, etc, and see how much is actually over center. It's a head-onaccident waiting to happen.

stro1965 04-30-2008 01:03 PM

I rode one time last year with a co-worker who did that for about 120 miles. I was a nervous wreck by the time we reached our destination, thought for sure he was gonna be creamed all over the highway. Haven't ridden with him since.

1tuffceo 04-30-2008 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ILTim

In my cage, if an oncoming driver wants to put rubber on the centerline, I'll do it too. Nuff said.
That would be a wise decision. It's no wonder our insurance rates are so high.

Fat Henry 04-30-2008 01:19 PM

I haven't noticed it here. But now that you've said something about it. I'm sure I'll start to see it.
I'm too old to play chicken.

jeffbarb17 04-30-2008 01:22 PM

Interesting responses from huffhuff....my question would be to those who feel riding the center line is smart................
Would you be pissed off if a car or truck rode the centre line to increase their visibility??? and what safe riding course didhuffhuff take?
The whole bike should be within the lane....period....if you need an extra few feet to see your surroundings...eye glasses may be what you need.

Life is Great...We all Ride!!!!...

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/2573D522BD854F30ADA41CFB648D728B.jpg[/IMG]