General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad crank - Happy ending - 1 for Moco

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts
Default Bad crank - Happy ending - 1 for Moco

I posted the initial questions about my situation over on Touring here -

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...el-runout.html

My bike, which I purchased new in 2011 from Suburban Motors in Thiensville WI developed a clacking sound on my way home from Daytona Biketoberfest. It wasn't horrendous, and I wasn't even really sure if it was new or I was just now noticing it. When I got home I figured I would have it looked at and also have the 20k service done. The ride there revealed the noise at cold, but it diminished by the time I got there - 20 miles away. Regardless, I checked in and told them of my concern and signed on for the 20k service.

Hours later I got a call from Jim, the service rep who told me they were pretty sure it was crank runout and they would investigate further. There was also a question as to whether or not it would be covered under warranty because they had done a 107 kit for me using aftermarket parts, voiding the motor warranty. Needless to say I was concerned. Jim told me he would speak with Rick in the Speed Shop and see what he could do.

Rick called me the next day and told me that he didn't think the Moco would cover it, but in this case, Suburban would take care of it if Moco didn't. Naturally I was grateful and expressed due thanks. I mentioned to him the topic of crank welding etc that had been discussed in the above posted thread. He said that would be the best case scenario vs the production crank, but he said the Moco would step back and contribute nothing even against labor to have that done. He and I agreed that simply fixing the issue per spec would suffice.

Minutes later Rick called back and told me that not only would the Moco honor the warranty, but they would work with me on the crank/flywheel improvements. They would cover the labor, I cover the crank work which I would have to pay for anyway had I elected to have that improvement done. Rick was very surprised they were willing to do that. Of course I gave him the go ahead on the work and feel that I will have a better bike for it for much less than I would have spent under different circumstances.

So a happy ending for a change. The dealer backed me 100% to the extent that they were willing to pay out of pocket to take care of me. The Moco backed a warranty claim that they really didn't have to. I kick in some money and end up with an improved product.

That's the way customer service should be. Suburban Motors and Harley Davidson have earned a lifetime customer.