General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife wants to learn

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:33 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The wife wants to learn

My wife and her brother are both starting the Harley rider's course next week. I'm really excited for both of them, she's been riding with me for the past few years and has decided she wants to see the road from the front of a bike instead of staring at the back of my head. Can anyone else see a new scoot in our future???

Old 05-10-2008, 04:38 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Default RE: The wife wants to learn

Yup. Cost me the bucks to buy her a Dyna Lowrider, but she's happy and I got to buy a solo seat for the Road King. Ride free shipmate.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife starts her MSF course on 5/30/08. Just like yours, she has been riding with me for a long time. She wants to see if she is missing something.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 AM
tanglefootrgu
Cruiser

It only took my wife about 2 months of riding on the back, looking at the back of my head, to realize she wanted her own. She never rode a motorcycle before, took the MSF Class passed it. Three week's later she told me she was buying a bike, she was all set to get an 883. I went to the shop the day before she was to sign papers and looked at the bike she wanted, next to it was a 1200 custom. I mentioned that to her, she got the 1200 custom. 800 miles on her bike, we took off on 5000 mile trip. She learned how to ride on the that trip. She did manage to set it down on both sides, at a stop, she has never gone over again. She has since upgraded to the Dyna Lowrider, only problem not much left for "Bling" for my 05 Road King Classic, but after 25 years of marriage we have found something in common.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 AM
williaj
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes, my wife took the course just over a year ago cause she haited staring at the back of my head! Long story short, she immediately bought a 1200L then 6 months later upgraded to a Deluxe. Yes, I would say there is another scoot in your immediate future!

Ride safe!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:50 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've said this many times here before, but my wife who'd never ridden took the msf on the school's 250, then went back and took the intermediate course on my Deuce. It was way better than me having to teach her.

I hung out and watched to encourage, and she did fantastic. Never has dropped a Harley.

Now she rides her own Wide Glide and does great. Getting better and better.

PS I bought a cheap used engine guard on ebay before the course, lmao.Cheap insurance, but again, she didn't drop it.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:54 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife said that she never wanted to ride in the back unless she was broken down and getting a ride to a gas station. I like that about her. So she took her MSF course last summer, passed, and I bought her a Heritage. She rides it around town whenever it;s warm enough, and even does a lot of her shopping on it. She's become a really skilled rider and we went on a lot of nice long-weekend trips together, already planning for a whole lot more.

Now we're thinking of getting some of those bluetooth headsets for short-range communication, since we never seem to understand each other's hand signals

Good luck to your wife and her brother. A family that rides together, well, rides together!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 AM
pamperedbiker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You better get the check book out - I took the course last summer - and I think I've only been on the back of my husband's bike one time since then lol....and that was only because he got a new bike and wanted me to to check it out lol....Happy Riding!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Hmmmm....I predict thenext friend/acquaintance you meet will be named Charles...Charles Schwab.[/align]

Old 05-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Were headed to the shop today to look @ a nightster for my wife. She hasen't even taken the class yet! Oh well geuss I'lll get to ride it till she passes. The one time she road a bike it was my motocross bike and she ate it in a fence. Needless to say I'm a little nervous. Anyway to Navychief just write out the check now cuz you'll be at the shop next week.

Quick Reply: The wife wants to learn