Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What sort of tent for bike camping? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/234274-what-sort-of-tent-for-bike-camping.html)

JDRay 05-16-2008 03:08 PM

What sort of tent for bike camping?

What sort of tent do you use for camping with the bike, particularly at rallys?

Rabid 05-16-2008 03:28 PM

RE: What sort of tent for bike camping?

No tent - too old to be laying down to put on my pants, kneeling to put on the shirt, no shower/toilet AND no tv.... WTF....

Rabid

harleydude68 05-16-2008 03:33 PM

I don't bring a tent. I have however been known to bring the tent pole[sm=smiley9.gif]and have woken up to a blanket tent.

oldgeezer 05-16-2008 03:37 PM

I have a 7x7 I got at Target for about $70. Straps on the bike pretty easily.

IRideMineEverywhere 05-16-2008 03:41 PM

I have a North Face tent that I've had since the 70's... unfortunately I think I'm going to retire it this year.... some smells just don't come out no matter what she says!!! [:'(]

Sportsterjeep 05-16-2008 03:41 PM

here's the pic http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...rodgiftssrange

nice and roomy

electaRICK 05-16-2008 03:45 PM

Holiday Inn, Clariton, Motel 6 ,,,all make great overnite sleepin arrangements

lilrooster76 05-16-2008 05:16 PM

Got a small 2 man tent at Wal~Mart. when packed up it is only like 4"x4"x24"

Sportsterjeep 05-16-2008 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

Holiday Inn, Clariton, Motel 6 ,,,all make great overnite sleepin arrangements
hmmmm, so what your saying is, it's better to pitch your tent where there's room service:D

rydermike 05-16-2008 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Sportsterjeep

here's the pic http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...rodgiftssrange

nice and roomy
Here's another pic of this tent , with bike...
http://www.barnettharley.com/mc/hdl-10010.htm

dog155 05-16-2008 05:54 PM

Mother and I preferred a pup tent,trouble was I was too frisky.After our son was born we decided to get a little bigger one.Oh, and I got the V,problem solved!!

JGroves 05-16-2008 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: harleydude68

I don't bring a tent. I have however been known to bring the tent pole[sm=smiley9.gif]and have woken up to a blanket tent.

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Curt J 05-16-2008 07:48 PM

Get a Bibler. Pricey but easy to put up and worth every cent!!!! Single wall-- no rain fly and the cat's ass!!! Just spent a week and 2,806 miles in 6 days on the road and the Bibler was great!!!!!

See site: http://www.bdel.com/gear/shelter_overview.php for more info..

krub6t9 05-16-2008 08:42 PM

I just did a thread about a week ago Find it i got a lot of good suggestios.

MNPGRider 05-16-2008 08:59 PM

First pup tent lasted me 20 years and it finally rotted, 2nd 5x7 I still have and take with if I'm only gone one night. But now we sleep in a king sizebed in our Bunkhouse camper and park the bike in the "garage."

If you are by yourself, get a tent that comes in a long sack, such as the measurements given earlier. Wrap it in the center of your sleeping bag, put sleeping bag in a heavy duty garbage back for waterproofing and protection from road grime, and tie it onto your seat for a back rest. Works great !

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/1B35BC1A7ABD4EA7896547EEE13BFBC7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/A60350BD7EEF45F4B6311884CA0D214C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/C2B4B8AB639F4943A2A4928776749E98.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/4716761E46BA43048AB48DD7B6CFC0C1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/2692B76EE5714926A5C0FD91ECEE74AD.jpg[/IMG]

bulkman2008 05-16-2008 09:07 PM

MNPGRider , those pictures make me happy that I am going on an overnighter this coming weekend . You make it look easy , especially the ones with your bike in the tent with y`all . Thanks for sharing , that`s the kinda tent I want for my next one .

MNPGRider 05-16-2008 09:16 PM

Your very welcome,bulkman, thanks for mentioning it. Just Google Bunkhouse motorcycle camper and you will find BF specialties, the manufacturer. Ours is a '91 model that I bought used from an elderly rider who had bought it new. The new ones areeven nicer, but we prefer ours as there is no floor in the add-on, so we can drive right in and zip it shut. The new ones have a nylon floor.

The best thing is, if we just want to sleep, we don't even have to unhook it, as it opens to the side, and it takes literally less than two minutes to open. Here's what it would look like without the "garage."

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/A33ED22B83DE4DEF8F5FEE7F9C5CF5A7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/A7D4BFEB7D174F3B9EF8428DD199EABC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/1D724FCF5A21481C8FBBBEA814FC25CF.jpg[/IMG]

bulkman2008 05-16-2008 09:28 PM

Very nice , thanks I will definitely look into them , thanks again .

koga 05-16-2008 09:28 PM

Here is what I use www.atuffy.comI have the 6 man tent, quick and easy set up/breakdown

mattman22033 05-16-2008 09:38 PM

I bought a tent at target and it fits in the saddlebag on an angle. I can still put a few other things in there as well.

bulkman2008 05-16-2008 10:08 PM

I like the Bunkhouse motorcycle camper cause you can bring an ice chest along with other camping utencils with you , a little expensive but nice .

dawg 05-17-2008 01:43 AM

ORIGINAL: JGroves

ORIGINAL: harleydude68

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Ummm, you want a pic of that???[sm=confused06.gif]

1Coastie 05-17-2008 01:57 AM

I like that Harley tent, I may have to splurge on one, if the weather was cold, you could let the bike run and get nice and warm before you backed it into the garage part, and the heat off the bike would probably keep the tent warm and cozy for a while. It would also keep the bike out of the rain and out of sight at night in a crowded campground. I currently use a cheapie 4 man from Wal Mart.

francis 05-17-2008 08:05 AM

Cheap 3 man tent from halfords, used it for years, only sleep in it [sometimes] so blow up bed [and doll] little colman cooker[coffee] and lots of beer tokens. Carp diem.

Sportsterjeep 05-17-2008 08:06 AM

I bought that harley tent on ebay for right around 100. It was set up once and put back in the box, the guy didn't want it. I don't think I'd pull a hot bike into it though, just me being afraid of the pipes touching the wall and putting a hole in it. Besides, a small backpacking stove heats up tents quick, then just sit it out in that vestibule after you heat up the tent. Good trick on cool mornings after you get out of the sleeping bag and need to change. Oh yeah, and a queen size Ozark Trail air mattress fits inside the tent, beats the hell out of self inflating mats. I have a six inch cushion of air to sleep on, now ya know why I bought the ultra, lots of room for camping gear.

francis 05-17-2008 08:15 AM

Just sold my Ultra and bought a streetbob, I miss not having all that room for camping gear and beer. The wind in my face brought back some memories. Have problem with my sholder so hade to let it go.

fishheadsaid 05-17-2008 11:45 AM

My current tent for bike trips
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/homeaway.jpg

It's getting a bit old and leaky. Looking now to replace it.

What I'm looking for in a new tent
3 season tent, no winters
Full fly to stay dry even in a driving rain.
Good summer time ventilation, two doors with ventilation
Clips not sleeves for easy setup and take down, sleeves can be a real hard when wet or late at night after a 700 mile day
Free standing, shake out cleaning, a free standing tent can also be set upside down on a picnic table in the morning to dry the bottom before it's rolled up

7’ x 7’ heavy duty bathtub flooring, no need for ground cloth
My coleman air mat is 74" x 39" wide, about half a 7' x 7' tent
I don't want to step into my tent on my air mat, and I want some space next to my air mat for my gear
Over 5' headroom in tent for easy dressing

Power port, I run a wire from my bike to charge my phone and camera at night
Self repairing zippers
Rolled tent to fit in a Sealine Baja 30, about 11" diameter by 20" long
Tent poles can bepacked separate from tent and don't need to be kept dry
No-see-um netting which is pretty much standard on most tent's today

JDRay 05-17-2008 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: rydermike
Here's another pic of this tent , with bike...
http://www.barnettharley.com/mc/hdl-10010.htm
Wouldn't want to start the bike with the wife sleeping in...

fishheadsaid 05-17-2008 02:30 PM

The Harley tent looks similar to the Big Agnes Big House series
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...HarleyTent.jpg
Here's the Big Agnes Big House 6 with vestibule in my back yard with Mona, my 91 Sturgis
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/IMGP1784.jpg
It was problematic getting the bike under the vestibule. Looking at the Harley tent, and the way the fabric is stretched,
I think it would be the same.

bulkman2008 05-17-2008 02:39 PM

Fishhead , which one or you useing the blue at the top or the Big Agnes Big House ? Where or who , sells the Big A . ? Thanks

fishheadsaid 05-17-2008 11:49 PM

I'm currently using the blue tent. It's a Coleman I got from Wal-Mart for $50 about 10 years ago.
It's about at the end of it's usable life. Zipper problems.
I've had more expensive tents, but this one has worked great.

I tested the Big Agnes Big House 6 but returned it.
Too big and the vestibule for the bike doesn't work and really is unnecessary.
I got it from a local supplier, Trail and Ski Shop. I know the owner and he lets metest things out.
I do want a small vestibule, forgot toadd that to the list.
A vestibule really helps in the rain getting in and out of the tent. Also let you store some we or dirty items you don't want in the tent.
Here's what I've found so far.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../tentspecs.jpg

badinfluence63 05-18-2008 12:12 AM

I am getting old and no more camping for me. I'm done with that. Nothing better then putting in 3-400 miles and then hitting a warm shower and a air conditioned/heated room with a bed. Its a plus if there is a house bar. Now I have done my share of camping. Me and my wife both. You meet some of the nicest people camping. And if it wasn't for her I would probably still be camping. She exposed me to the finer things in life.

When I was camping I used2 old US Army snap together shelter halves and 2 army sleeping bags.I found aOD green buckled canvas bag to put the shelter halves,pegs and a hammer in. Between the sleeping bags and the tent it didn't take up too much room on the bike.

Oh baby am I spoiled for space on the ultra w/ sidecar. I can add to the space by putting a luggage rack on the tour pack and tie a roll bag to it.

I cheated this trip. My daughter,grandson and sig other came along in there 4 wheeler as support services for grammy and grampy. They had a portable hand held CB for communications. It was extra handy as it took the work out of when to stop. Kept it off channel 19 (truckers own the hwy and that channel) and on another channel. I am proud of my wife who never, despite the rain, at times nerve racking traffic and other things ever asked to ride in the car. And I can tell you it was scary driving over Black mountain with the sidecar too.