Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Rode A Buell....Almost Died lol (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/236686-rode-a-buell-almost-died-lol.html)

bgismo20 05-22-2008 12:26 PM

Rode A Buell....Almost Died lol

Well a buddy of mine has a Buell Lightening & he asked me if i wanted to ride, it, I said sure, its always fun taking a spin on someone elses bike. Im used to the Laid Back Harley riding position, not the body forward sportbike position. So I take off & immediately realize that the rear brake does NOTHING! Also from being so far forward eveytime I stop I feel like im gonna go over the bars.....so I turn right through a parking lot & come to the end of the lots & try to stop & almost go into the street, do to the lack of stopping power (I thought because I was going over the handlebars i didnt squeeze the front brake enough) but barely got it to stop, so i said screw this & turned around & went back lol, if i had extended time im sure id get better but other than that screw it, no more Buells for me (The Ulysses is AWESOME htough)

DannyZ71 05-22-2008 12:38 PM

RE: Rode A Buell....Almost Died lol

Only "sport bike" I ever rode was a Suzuki Katana 750. Damn thing will scare the sh*t right out of ya if ya aren't used to it. I hated the fact that all the weight was on my wrists. Swore right then I'd never own one.

bgismo20 05-22-2008 03:19 PM

Yeah AGREED! even though the Buells are OFFICAL sport bikes, katanas& stuff are even worse lol

swilsondds 05-22-2008 03:40 PM

Well...you got guts for even getting on one of thos things. I like my "couch" just fine. Sounds like you would agree.

Doc

74_ironhead 05-22-2008 03:43 PM

I always make sure to test ride a buell during demo day, they don't like it when you pull the front wheel off the ground on a demo bike:D and a friend of mine has a kawasaki rocket that I ride once in a while. If I owned one I'd end up killing myself on it. I've seen 168 mph on it and aside from the wind it still felt rock solid.

08sg 05-22-2008 04:53 PM

I rode the 1125 R last weekend at a Buell Demo Days. I was quickly reminded how uncomfortable the sport bikes are. Couldn't wait to get back and get on my SG.

jskelington 05-22-2008 06:40 PM

Leave that sh*t to the kids man......those things are dangerous.....DOH!

Mac57 05-22-2008 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jskelington

Leave that sh*t to the kids man......those things are dangerous.....DOH!
Yeah, you're right of course, but my daughter's boyfriend keeps offering me his Yamaha R6 every time we get together and one of these days I'm just going to up and ride that rocket. Rode an older Honda CBR once and it was manageable enough.It'sjust that I'vegot an itch to mess with a sport bike I just gotta scratch, but I'm sure I'll be happy to get my 50 year old ass back on my beloved Glide. Oh, and does my daughter's boyfriend want to try my Glide? No. I think he's more intimidated by my bike (my daughter calls it "The Elephant") than I am of his.

electaRICK 05-22-2008 06:57 PM

some reason,, Big-n-Rich,s save a Buell, ride a cowboy ,,, whup whup,,,,
is playin in the background

Biggol 05-22-2008 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bgismo20

Well a buddy of mine has a Buell Lightening & he asked me if i wanted to ride, it, I said sure, its always fun taking a spin on someone elses bike. Im used to the Laid Back Harley riding position, not the body forward sportbike position. So I take off & immediately realize that the rear brake does NOTHING! Also from being so far forward eveytime I stop I feel like im gonna go over the bars.....so I turn right through a parking lot & come to the end of the lots & try to stop & almost go into the street, do to the lack of stopping power (I thought because I was going over the handlebars i didnt squeeze the front brake enough) but barely got it to stop, so i said screw this & turned around & went back lol, if i had extended time im sure id get better but other than that screw it, no more Buells for me (The Ulysses is AWESOME htough)
Some sports bike riders don't even use their rear brake. Imagine how they feel getting on a Hog and squeezing the one front brake on most of our models. I bet it feels similar to what you described.. hehehe

I've always wanted to test ride a Buell but never though about all the weight feeling like it was on your wrists. I don't think I'd like that so much.