General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Safety Course help.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MSF Safety Course help.....

I agree with lotsa the folks here...take it with your son - if only as I way to share an interest.
Most of it might be rudimentary but I bet you will find a few things that will improve your riding.
Most importantly, it will give you a chance to evaluate your son's skills. You will know what he has been taught and how well he can execute.
It will give you points to discuss as he prepares to hit public roads. It will give you more assurance for his safety out there. If you take a different class, how will you know what he learned?

My son is 13 and developing an interest in riding when he is older. If I am in your shoes one day, I think I'd probably do the basic course again, just to do it with him

Old 05-24-2008, 07:39 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if I offended the guy who makes money off of "teaching" people to ride motorcycles, but if I wasn't clear I indicated that you should take the course with you son. It will be a waste of money, but time with your son doing something is worth it. My opinion is not only based on my own experience. I took the basic and had to take the ERC, learning nothing. I also base that opinion on what the course did for my wife, who had never ridden before, yet passed the course with flying colors. The problem is, is she came away from learning to ride a 250 Honda thinking she knew all there was to know about riding a 650 lb Dyna. She dropped it 10 times that first day before almost giving up on riding. I spent the next couple of months teaching her to ride in the DMV parking lot. Based on my experience, the basic course is not only useless, it's potentially dangerous.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I plan to take the beginner course with my wife, possibly with my daughter (age 29) if either (or both) decide they want to learn. There is always something to learn and nothing wrong with refreshing basic skills.

I took the advanced MSF class two years ago, it rained both days of the class and I ended up learning a lot about friction, traction, and totally enjoyed being out there. I will take that class again in a year or two; again with thoughts of "refresher learning" in mind.

Assuming that I'd pratice some of these wild riding patterns on my own just isn't happening. There's something to be said about an expert watching you and giving you feedback. For me, it is money well spent.

During the Daytona Bikefest, I was talking to a couple of the motorcycle cops who invited me to come pratice with them behind one of the stores. They enjoy the public watching them pratice and encourge civilians to join them for some slow-speed drills and coaching which they said they do every week. I haven't done that yet, but will.

I am quite certain there is always someting to learn and things to try toimprove your skills.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m another one that agrees you should take the class with your son.

I agree that the best way to learn is to spend time on the bike but I think the class has a lot of useful tips. For instance they go over the proper way to takes turns. I know that sounds extremely basic but the majority of single bike accidents are caused by the rider not taking a turn correctly and going off the road. Also more then half of bike crashes involve riders with less than 6 months experience (statistic from DMV). Ultimately your son will learn by riding but the class will teach him some tips / tricks that might save his life. Its better that he learn some basic skills in the class then learn from the school of hard knocks.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:02 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBoyFLSTC
Sorry if I offended the guy who makes money off of "teaching" people to ride motorcycles, but if I wasn't clear I indicated that you should take the course with you son. It will be a waste of money, but time with your son doing something is worth it. My opinion is not only based on my own experience. I took the basic and had to take the ERC, learning nothing. I also base that opinion on what the course did for my wife, who had never ridden before, yet passed the course with flying colors. The problem is, is she came away from learning to ride a 250 Honda thinking she knew all there was to know about riding a 650 lb Dyna. She dropped it 10 times that first day before almost giving up on riding. I spent the next couple of months teaching her to ride in the DMV parking lot. Based on my experience, the basic course is not only useless, it's potentially dangerous.
No offense taken, Badboy, and none intended, but let's look at that last post of yours.

Yes, instructers (now called "Rider Coaches,") are paid. They give up most weekends during riding season to help others learn to ride safety, conducting courses in sleet, rain, wind, hot weather, cold weather, etc,and often take vacation days from their "real jobs" todo this.

Why did you "have to" take the ERC ? The only adult "have to's" in any class I had were court ordered to be there...

If your wife came away from the BASIC course thinking she could immediately ride a bike five times bigger, with all due respect to your wife, the problem isn't with the course. The course stressed the BASICS, students never go faster than 20 mph, don't ride in a gear higher than 2nd, and are never on the street. One of the first things mentioned in the curriculem is that the course is no substitute for experience, and that much practice is needed after the course, and that learning never stops. One of the last things pointed out in the course is that message again--it is up to the rider to take what they've learned, and apply it properly. Their course registration information contains the following:

Get trained and licensed

Wear protective gear -- all the gear, all the time -- including a helmet manufactured to the standards set by the DOT

Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs

Ride within your own skill limits

Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher rider courses

A final question I would ask, again no offense intended, ever, when safety is concerned, but what were you thinking as a husband,letting a totally inexperienced rider start out on a 650 lb, 65 hp motorcycle, dropping it ten times on the first day?

I continue to find it incredulous that someone could take a total of 25-30 hours of proven instruction and state they learned nothing.

Incidently, just so you know where I'm coming from, we had dual fatalities in the local ABATE group when a rider was attempting to show an inexperienced lady how to drive his Sportster, by sitting behind her. Thebike got away from her when she dropped the clutch and the torque pulled her back, causing her to roll on the throttle, jumping a curve and hitting a tree.

One of the "BASIC" things taught in MSF is how to prevent that very thing from happening by making sure the students have their throttle hands in a "wrist down" position.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 AM
landest
Road Warrior

My son asked me the same question when he started years ago.

My advice: Take the course.... the time together is priceless. The fact that he wants you with him is something you cant buy with all the money in the world.

Will you get something out of the course? .... Doesn’t matter.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

OK ladies & gents,your opinions probably will sway me towards the beginners class. I'm sure I will pick up a few pointers as well. Thanks for all the "opinions". LOL

Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Golfblues, enjoy the time with your son! I don't have one, but re-took firearms training with one of my daughters when she expressed an interest in hunting. After a lifetime of hunting, I did learn a few new things in that class as well !

Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
USMCAmmoMan
Intermediate

I have taught well over 100 BRC's, and have had many riders that have ridden for 30-40 years, and every single time they come up at the end of class and say "wish I would have taken this course long ago, I learned a lot thanks!".
If you have ridden for quite a few years, you will also have experiance to add to the class room discussions. I for one like to have people in the class room portion that can add their .02. At times it's hard to keep the discussion going if you have all new riders, that really can not relate to what your saying, because they have not been there done that yet!
Thing is during the riding portion, you'll have to let your son discover what works best for him. Time after time I have had to move people on the range so I don't have people that are related next to one another. I find they tend to be on the range working together and not really paying attention to what the class/rider coach is saying or doing.
I say do it, share the experiance with your son and have fun doing it.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 PM
higg47
Road Master

ORIGINAL: golfblues

OK ladies & gents,your opinions probably will sway me towards the beginners class. I'm sure I will pick up a few pointers as well. Thanks for all the "opinions". LOL
That's the right answer!

Quick Reply: MSF Safety Course help.....