General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Safety Course help.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts
Default MSF Safety Course help.....

My son is a beginner rider with just parking lot experiece on my bike. He handles it very well.He has his permit but he must take the MSF course before he does any riding in the street (good choice Mom).He is 19. My question is this. He will take the beginners course to get his license & wants me to take it with him (bonding with dad, nice) but I am an experienced rider but never took the course. Is the beginners couse OK for me to take with my son or is it a waste of $$ for me. Should I take the advanced course instead. I remember hearing the advance course is pretty grueling. Id like to do this with him but I like to know if it's a waste of time for an experienced rider & if I should do the advanced course. TIA.

Edit:After doing some searching it sounds likeI should take the Advanced 5 hour course if anything. Anyone agree?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 PM
roadkingrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MSF Safety Course help.....

i took the riders edge 4 day course a couple weeks ago and it was the best thing i couldve done for myself having never rode a street bike.. while in the class there were 2 guys that had rode before on was riding, first guy just hadnt rode in a looong time and wanted the refresher.. the other guy took it because it was free with his purchase of a bike, they both said they learned stuff they never knew and were in shock at the end on how much they learned and how to do things the RIGHT way etc.
mileage may vary i guess but to me i doubt it would be a waste of money for you.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 PM
TideRKC
Tourer

1. I'm not a dad but if your son wants you to take with him do it. It will mean more to him than a couple hundred bucks does to you even if he doesn't show it now.

2. I had never riden but I had riders of all ability levels in my class. Even the most experienced rider said he learned something.

3. Best rider in our class (aced the riding and written test) was a 17 old girl.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 PM
roadkingrick
Cruiser

i agree that that most experienced riders in my class actually were probably 2 of the worst in the class lol.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You would probably be best served by the Experienced Rider Course as far as improving your riding skills, no doubt. BUT, don't pass on the chance to participate in the Beginner Course with your son. That opportunity won't come again and you would learn something anyway and can take the ERC later, maybe with your son again. Good luck to both of you.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing anything with your son - Priceless

Either MSF course - useless

Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the course with your son, you will be surprised at how many bad habits we aquire in our years of riding. It will be a refreshing course for you and quality time with your son.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 PM
UncleDon
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did the course last weekend......kinda boring......we had 24 in our group and 10 were first time riders,,,,,try not to ride in the same group as your son, let the instructors do their thing

Old 05-23-2008, 10:11 PM
rudeboy
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: BadBoyFLSTC

Doing anything with your son - Priceless

Either MSF course - useless

EDIT: Oops...make that +2

Quick Reply: MSF Safety Course help.....