General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced Rider Course or Ride Like A Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced Rider Course or Ride Like A Pro?

I have problems at times when Wifey is up with slow speed handling. Never had this problem before with other ladies, but Wifey sits higher on the ECG and wifey is big. The ERC courses are few and far between here. If I spend a night or two in a hotel I can get to Ride Like A Pro. It's about 2-3 hours away.

Those of you that have taken the courses, tell me your impressions. I'd really like to hear from anyone who has taken both, but I don't think I'll find many that have.

Thanks for the input!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
cray49a
Road Master
Default RE: Experienced Rider Course or Ride Like A Pro?

I lost all the high stuff. Now wifey isn't so interested in riding LOL!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

In your case, get what you can. Any course to help highten you and your wife's skills can't hurt and it's a good time for you to have some bonding...or bondage, whatever you are into.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take the experienced rider course every year. There's no practice with a rider. The ERC is fun and great practice. It's basically the same stuff that's in the Ride Like a Pro DVD which you can set up cones and practice on your own. You practice weaving in and out of cones with 2 hands and then one, weaving in and out of off set cones, slow speed maneuvers, figure 8's within a box at slow speed, emergency stopping, and emergency lane changes.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: barjbar

I take the experienced rider course every year. There's no practice with a rider. The ERC is fun and great practice. It's basically the same stuff that's in the Ride Like a Pro DVD which you can set up cones and practice on your own. You practice weaving in and out of cones with 2 hands and then one, weaving in and out of off set cones, slow speed maneuvers, figure 8's within a box at slow speed, emergency stopping, and emergency lane changes.
Barjbar,

I don't wish to start and argument, but as someone whoteaches both the MSF BRC/ERC and Ride Like A Pro, I have to say they are both different. The ERC is pretty much day two of the BRC with a couple of extra things added, like one hand steering (you can only use the right hand), and some wider and tighter cone threading. Other than that it's the same U-turn box as in Exercise 10, and the same stopping in a curve as in Exercise 14.

The ERC really cannot be compared with RLAP as they are different schools that teach different techniques. RLAP teaches Riding in the Friction Zone with rear brake application. There is more emphasis on head and eye placement. Riders are taught to go lock to lock, side to side, tank to tank,on the slow speed turns. The offset is much more challenging than the ERC cone threading. RLAP teaches a full lock U-Turn (left and right side) from a standing stop. The figure 8 is much more tighter than the double U-turn in the box from Ex. 10. TheRLAP course of instruction I teach includes showing riders the safe way to step off and away from a falling bike to avoid injury, as well as the correct way to pick it up. Those things are not part ofany MSFcurriculum. My expereince is that most riders who took RLAP tell me that this is what they wish the ERC was like.

If a rider has the opportunity to take BOTH courses, they should. While the results are always beneficial, the techniques, course of instruction and exercises are different.

Mark

Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken both courses and must say the RLAP is much more advanced. Even for long time riders the slow speed drills and extreme steering at RLAP will put you through your paces. I was plenty tuckered out after the day there.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking about the DVD not the course. Many of the DVD's practices are similar. There are no RLP courses here that I know of. The MSF course here in Michigan is subsidized by the state and costs only $25 at the majority of community colleges. From your description, it sounds much more difficult and I'd like to take it.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:04 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

Go to ridelikeapro.com and follow the link to the course signup. There is a link there for the course in Michigan. They seem to be franchising their operation.