General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no you did not!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oh no you did not!

ORIGINAL: RoadKingRon1

ORIGINAL: Lopoetve

Jeez guys....WTF......It's just a freakin' bike....................
No, it's respect, common courtesy, and basic decency, something that is missing in most people today, and something you don't seem to understand.

And it's not just a bike even without that.

You nailed it....Most cagers do not realize they are doing wrong. So some billy badass biker comes up to them, wearing assless chaps and fingerless gloves, and threatens to kick their a$$.

I've had people admiring, even sitting on one of my bikes. I tell them that some a$$ clowns would not appreciate the fact that they are touching their bike without permission. They normally apologize saying "they didn't realize" this and back off. Next we enter into a conversation about bikes and that they have been contemplating buying one.

They leave somewhat more informed and respectful of the bikes and the riders.

So, no need tod to lecture me on respect, decency and common courtesy...............
Actually, I'm gonna back up RoadKingRon on this one. It's not a matter of whether sitting on a bike univited is right or wrong. No question it's wrong, for exactly the reasons others have stated - you wouldn't do it to someone's car, so don't to it to their bike (or their wife ).

It's more about how to handle it most effectively, presuming they're not vandalizing or doing your bike harm (they DO deserve an asskicking). Weren't we all agreeing with another post here just a couple of days ago about a cop who gave a poster a heartfelt warning about speeding rather than a ticket and how, gee, what a great cop he was, and how much more the rider learned and how that was loads more effective than a ticket any day?? Remember that one? Was he less of a cop for not cuffing our compadre and throwing the book at him? Was the cop any less of a man for not kicking the rider's *** and chewing him out and giving him a lecture on speeding? We didn't seem to think so the other day.

So why do so many want to question Ron's manliness when he's willing to educate and maybe win someone over who, at worst is just stupid (again presuming no criminal intent) and, most likely, is just a little ignorant and not up on common courtesy?

Anger, shouting, and violence doesn't prove anyone's manliness or the seriousness of their conviction. And a lack of it doesn't, either.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because it's damage or potential for to personal property, which is different from a cop and a ticket (although I see your point). That should be obvious, and if not, one should avoid breeding to avoid passing on said lack of intelligence.

I don't outright attack them, but I'm certainly not going to be nice.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

because it's damage or potential for to personal property, which is different from a cop and a ticket (although I see your point). That should be obvious, and if not, one should avoid breeding to avoid passing on said lack of intelligence.

Ah, but that's the key. What's obvious to us because of the way we were raised, isn't obvious to everyone. Doesn't make them stupid or unintelligent, just ignorant and not riased with the values our parents gave us. It's not about being "nice" as much as being assertive without being threatening or violent. Messages get through a lot better that way and everyone's blood pressure stays a little lower. That was my point with the cop story. He made sure the message was delivered, and probably had a much stronger impact because he did it calmly. Sometimes that takes people by surprise so much they actually listen!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Protrucker
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Well,

The proper response when you see someone sitting on your bike is to run up...yell to the nearest passerby...."HEY...SOMEONE IS STEALING MY MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!....CALL 911!!!!"

.....and then take out your cell phone and call 911 and if they run and get in their car and drive off turn in their tag number and the direction they are headed.....guaranteed, they will never sit on somebody else's bike again........
This is the best response yet......but after "yell to the nearest passerby...."HEY...SOMEONE IS STEALING MY MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!....CALL 911!!!!"

.....and then take out your cell phone and call 911 and if they run and get in their car and drive off" I would have added: before I caught up with them &physically restrained the dumb**son the ground"turn in their tag number and the direction they are headed.....guaranteed, they will never sit on somebody else's bike again......."

Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pitts2112

Ah, but that's the key. What's obvious to us because of the way we were raised, isn't obvious to everyone. Doesn't make them stupid or unintelligent, just ignorant and not riased with the values our parents gave us. It's not about being "nice" as much as being assertive without being threatening or violent. Messages get through a lot better that way and everyone's blood pressure stays a little lower. That was my point with the cop story. He made sure the message was delivered, and probably had a much stronger impact because he did it calmly. Sometimes that takes people by surprise so much they actually listen!
It should be. The same as gravity pulling down - don't **** with other people's stuff.

I don't know about you, but calm generally results in "ignored" with people like that, in my experience. It's only htose that get it in the first place that respond correctly.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 PM
gjb1952
Road Captain

It's just so easy to get you guys stirred up.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
junkorgem
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Protrucker

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Well,

The proper response when you see someone sitting on your bike is to run up...yell to the nearest passerby...."HEY...SOMEONE IS STEALING MY MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!....CALL 911!!!!"

.....and then take out your cell phone and call 911 and if they run and get in their car and drive off turn in their tag number and the direction they are headed.....guaranteed, they will never sit on somebody else's bike again........
This is the best response yet......but after "yell to the nearest passerby...."HEY...SOMEONE IS STEALING MY MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!....CALL 911!!!!"

.....and then take out your cell phone and call 911 and if they run and get in their car and drive off" I would have added: before I caught up with them &physically restrained the dumb**son the ground"turn in their tag number and the direction they are headed.....guaranteed, they will never sit on somebody else's bike again......."

Now that's funny

Old 06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 339 Likes on 175 Posts

This is not about race but the other "R" word. RESPECT. I was in an elevator about 5 yrs ago in Toronto. My wife and i were going to a comedy show and we got on with a crowd of asians and all they did was stare at us and then yipp in ther own language and laugh!!!![:@]After about 6 floors I introduced them to English.(you got a f#$%ing problem),Aparently they understood english,It got real quiet

Old 06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

Jeez guys....WTF......It's just a freakin' bike....................
I'mflabergast at this reply..[:-] THERES NO WAY YOU OWN A HARLEY... TIM

Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gaffy52

Whilst not a Harley story its on a similar thread - when I was hotheaded teenager 17 / 18 I guess, my girlfriend and who is now my wife went to the coast for few days away in a friends caravan.

Snip the rest - but too bad you didn't get to rearrange a few of the idiot's features.
What's a caravan?

Quick Reply: Oh no you did not!