General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer markup question

Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
chainring
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer markup question

Ok so I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a new HD.&nbsp\\; would be a new owner, had a metric 20-ish years ago and wanting to get back in.&nbsp\\; been looking at V-twins for years and now Harley has made a bike that is threatening to put my wait to an end.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
visited the local dealer and found that they've got a $2500 markup on the Rocker C.&nbsp\\; Is this to be expected?&nbsp\\; i'm wondering how much time i need to spend shopping different dealers or if i am gonna find this to be the standard.&nbsp\\; $2500 would buy a lot of bling, maybe i should wait for the 2009's to come out and maybe with a little more supply and little time the prices will come down.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Dealer markup question

Did they in fact tell you the markup was $2500?&nbsp\\; That's about a 20 percent markup on cost, sounds a little high.&nbsp\\; Most all dealers sell at MSRP &amp\\; 09's wont' be cheaper.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM
esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

Most dealers sell at MSRP if they are charging you over that I would find another dealer That sells at MSRP , another thing to conside is the dealer prep fee, ask your sales person how much actually goes into the setup, a lot of dealers only take the bike out of the box &amp\\; adjust the handle bars , check the oil ,&amp\\; charge you like 300-500 for this ,&nbsp\\;A good dealer will go over the entire bike .

Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't say where you are located, but at my dealer, everything is MSRP, no mark-up. The have a Rocker-C on the floor now.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
chainring
Novice

ORIGINAL: Jim Dawson

You don't say where you are located, but at my dealer, everything is MSRP, no mark-up. The have a Rocker-C on the floor now.
&nbsp\\;
that was my first post here and not knowing exactly whats ok and whats not i didn't want to start slinging mud.&nbsp\\; anyway, i'm in houston texas and i was at Stubbs.&nbsp\\; to answer the other question, knowing what the MRSP was i asked what they wanted and the first guy told me 22,999.&nbsp\\; later talking to another salesman i was told 22,599 and he quoted the markup as $2500 after i commented that i was gonna shop around because i didn't want to pay a $3000 markup.&nbsp\\; they told me thats what i would find everywhere but of course i'm not gonna take their word for it.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
it was beautiful though, and the crimson one!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Go back and tell them what youll pay. Offer $20,000 out the door. See what theyll do. The worst is that theyll say no. If they dont go for your price, then shop around. Dont fall in love with one bike at one dealer though. Thatll cost you.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shop around, and you don't even have to leave the house to do it, first place I went to wanted 1500 over MSRP, I thought no way I'm paying over MSRP, e-mailed a couple of dealers told 'em what I wanted, got a couple of quotes, took quotes back to different dealer and asked them to match,&nbsp\\;they matched and threw in 600.00 merchandise credit to boot. Once they know you are serious and you know what's out there, it's a whole different ballgame. Good luck.