General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HARLEY DAVIDSON RIDING BOOTS ARE CHEAP MADE IN CHINA JUNK

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
MULESKINNER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HARLEY DAVIDSON RIDING BOOTS ARE CHEAP MADE IN CHINA JUNK

I went shopping for new riding boots this weekend and was amazed[/i][/b] to find most boots are now made in China!&nbsp\\; I mean name brands like Justin, Ariat,&nbsp\\;Etc\\; and all of the boots wearing the Harley Davidson name&nbsp\\;I was able to find. I was shocked and angered at the same time! I wanted an American made riding boot that would last for years and intended to find one. I did. I found the Chippewa [/i][/b]brand boot is still made here in the USA and makes a "Motorcycle&nbsp\\;boot" style that has been made here by Chippewa for the last fifty years. Boot style #27863. They are a bit pricey at $199.00 plus tax, but they are a super high quality[/i][/b], steel toed, riding boot. I ground the sales man and ended up with a 10% discount. So anyone wanting a high quality, made in the USA, black leather, steel toed riding boot, should look at the Chippewa brand before supporting Harley's bid to give China our money.
&nbsp\\;
The soles are "Vibram" with the yellow Octagonal insert on the sole. The steel toes meet the ASTM-F2413-05 rating. The basic boot material is premium oiled leather with a fully leather lined foot, genuine leather Goodyear welt construction, full leather mid sole and the boot is fully resoleable by Chippewa or any qualified boot repairman. The boot has chrome metal top cinch buckles and instep buckles that I could do without, but that is the way they come.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2622/827BCC0CD50246A2B2400274EE0D98D9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HARLEY DAVIDSON RIDING BOOTS ARE CHEAP MADE IN CHINA JUNK

You'll find most (not all)&nbsp\\;of HDs apparel is made in other countries.&nbsp\\; If you don't like that, let em know.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
tano01
Road Captain

I ride in western style boots...I just have a rubber sole put on them for $25.&nbsp\\; That way I can get them made wherever I want them to be made.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:28 PM
MULESKINNER
Advanced

I did. I bought else where! &nbsp\\; I believe if more folks knew&nbsp\\;where stuff was made they would be more picky about what they bought. (Except for the true cheaps scape type) They just shop price, not true quality. The old saying still goes, "You get what you pay for."

Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser

I have a pair of Chippewa brand boot, there great boots. I believe we the American people have done this to ourselves. We as the American worker want larger and larger wages/saleries coupled to bigger and bigger benifit packages, while as the American consumer we want lower prices across the board for everything we need to live. Seems at some point the manufacturer has no choice but to use cheaper matrerials and cheaper labor or close their doors. I have often wondered why it is that we the American consumer tell the world about how good lets say Toyota cars are, we buy them and state they are much better quality cars etc... we talk about how they are assembled here in the USA.........by us............why didn't we assemble cars with quality for lets say GM.........here in the USA?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the saying go? If you wanna buy American made, buy foriegn.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:33 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

It has been that way for at least the last 10 years.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Some pretty good stuff comes from China these days. Get used to it.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:39 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

the harley clothing is the same low quality too, I was looking at a jacket the last&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; time at the stealers,was seriously gonna buy it till i noticed half the stitching was torn loose hanging on the rack. And their clothing is not cheap[]

Old 07-06-2008, 06:47 PM
RoadKing62
Ultimate HDF Member

Nice job there MuleSkinner! Chippewa's have always been great work boots, i never thought to look there for riding boots. Red Wings are also real good work boots and riding boots too and last time i checked they were made in America. I look at labels all the time, tools, clothes, appliances and when i can, i&nbsp\\;never buy Chinese made. The quality is not there and how long ago was it that they shot down our Air Force/Navy plane, two or three years ago? .

Quick Reply: HARLEY DAVIDSON RIDING BOOTS ARE CHEAP MADE IN CHINA JUNK