Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Scared And Butterflies (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/268172-scared-and-butterflies.html)

tda69 08-18-2008 11:11 PM

It's so nice having new riders in the group. The old salty guys have long forgotten about things like butterflies before riding. The new guys bring a nice balance to the group.

MidnitEvil 08-18-2008 11:54 PM

I got my bike one Wednesday last week - a friend rode it from Indy to my house. I took it out the first time Thursday night. Had some butterflies then, because I hadnt ridden in 20 years. Prior to that, I always had a bike - from dirt bikes when I was a kid, to street bikes after that (but never a Harley). ... So, Thursday night, I just went around the neighborhood, doing starts, stops, turns, turning around, then a little cruise on some local back roads.

Friday night, I still had some butterflies - getting used to the feel of the bike. Took it out on some country roads and opened it up a bit.

By Saturday, I was pretty cool with it - felt like things were coming back pretty well. I was out pretty much all day Saturday, then I felt OK taking her out later that day. Hooked up with a friend and we went for a little cruise.

Sunday... had to go. We were out all day and well into the evening.

Today - took it to work, got home, threw the wife on the back, and we just got home at 11 pm. Dragged the pipes in a hard right turn once.

... but are the butterflies gone? No. The butterflies are why I ride. Amongst many things, it's one of the feelings that make riding fun - exhilaration might be a better word.

If you ever lose that feeling, it means you've lost respect for the machine and the realities of riding - it's time to hang it up for a while, until you get that feeling again.

sacdog51 08-18-2008 11:55 PM

Butterflies, nerves, big @#ss smile, ain't that the greatest. What other bike give you all of that? Why can't I stop smiling when I'm riding????

Tralfaz 08-19-2008 12:54 AM

I have to admit that I'm actually more worried about the day I do go out riding without some hint of butterflies than the days I do. The last thing I want is to start riding with too much confidence such that lose my respect for the risks.

As others have said, though, once I'm out there the fun pushes the butterflies to the back of my mind.

swestbrook60 08-19-2008 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by bandit2 (Post 3755041)
I've been riding for awhile and I get nervous and butterflies every time. Then, I get to the end of the driveway and off I go....The butterflies disappear and I'm having fun. I have had days when I'll ride for awhile and it's (something) is not right. Just not a bike riding day, and I turn around and park it. Just a feeling. Hasn't happened but a few times but I go with my gut feeling. Anyone else have that happen?

Every once in a while I get a premonition that something isn't right too, whether in the cage or on the bike. I never ignore them, but that doesn't say I stop either. I may just slow down and drive or ride a little more carefully, stop for a short break, take a different route, or whatver it takes to put my mind back at ease. If your sensing that something bad is about to happen, anything that changes the timing or situation also changes the events that will follow. I'm generally not a superstitious person, but accept the fact that our brains are capable of far more than we understand.

ebeattie 08-19-2008 02:49 AM

I had the butterflies a bit. The more and more I got out there and rode the less and less they appeared before I got on my bike. Its your body's way of telling you your in for a hell of a ride that its still getting used to. Everything will become copacetic and after that, everythings good!

Monochrome 08-19-2008 06:22 AM

Being nervous will help keep you safe until you get experienced. You can never eliminate human error and being over confident is not good. I don't get nervous anymore but I still make mistakes, last one was thinking about something else as i swung a fast right hander, heading to the kerb, I come off the throttle and looked where i needed to go, back on the throttle and not an issue. If I had been inexperienced I would have been off. The moral of the story is stay on the ball and never take anything for granted on a ride. You can easily be over confident but you can never be experienced enough for this past time.

Curt1953 08-19-2008 06:35 AM

Always great advise on this forum, Thanks all

shimmon 08-19-2008 07:39 AM

What is your pre-ride routine like? I know when i first started riding my hd about a year ago i would stand and stare at the bike. Think about it and the money it cost. This would provoke the butterflies and nerves to the next level. I found it better to just get my gear together, jump on, and ride. Doesnt allow the nerves and butterflies time to set in, you actually leave them in the garage if your quick enough.

hotdogbri 08-19-2008 07:43 AM

Been riding 44 years and yer i love it every time :D and yep the butterflies will go :D