General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Motorcycle Ramp???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Breeze
I like the idea of loading my bike into my truck......The problem is where do you store those huge ramps after you load the bike....specially when I want to go camping....with ice chest. tent fishing gear etc....
well, if you get the ones that fold up - just run a small chain or rubber coated cable through them and lock them in the bed of your truck. out of sight... so to speak.

like you - I think ramps are a good alternate to leaving the bike at home. I'm looking for a small camper and would like to be able to take the bike along too. I'm kinda leaning toward the motorized loader.

Last edited by aviator; 08-28-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Breeze
I like the idea of loading my bike into my truck......The problem is where do you store those huge ramps after you load the bike....specially when I want to go camping....with ice chest. tent fishing gear etc....
Thats why I want to go with the big boy. Splits into 3 then folds in half so it can fit into the back of a quad cab pickup.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
DIESEL_DOCTOR
6th Gear
Default Motorized loaders

I have a dodge ram 3500 4x4 diesel. This truck is too high for me to safely use a ramp, unless it is about 12 feet long. I am considering a motorized loader. Does anyone have suggestions, and information about used ones available? Thanks aj

Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default toy trax, rampage loader

I have a nearly new one from use standpoint. i keep it under tonneau when not in use and it has been to florida twice with my ride on it in the last 2 years. It works as new and looks same. It needs to be picked up as its too heavy to ship. they sell for 2400 plus freight. I can sell this one for $1800 and ill help with install. Im in pa. go to rampage site and watch demo. pretty no brainer.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM
DIESEL_DOCTOR
6th Gear
Default Best motorcycle ramp

Thanks for the info. I looked at the rampage site, and i am interested. I can't tell if the tailgate can be closed with the lift and a hd dresser in a full size pick up. I am not sure about the loss of space in the front with the winch and frame. I know that my bike will fit in the box with 4" clearence without the lift. Running with the tailgate down isn't an option, as i also pull a 32' camper behind. Maybe i will see one at americade, and get more info. I would be interested in buying yours if i can arange a trip to pa. Thanks much aj

Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
houndawgg
Tourer

I got the EZ Loader when I went to Daytona this year.

Attached Thumbnails Best Motorcycle Ramp???-dsc00084.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
DIESEL_DOCTOR
6th Gear
Default Ez ramp

This looks good as well. I searched ez ramp on the internet but nothing looks like it. Do you have any information on suppliers of the ramp? Thanks aj

Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Why would you need a ramp? Bikes are made to ride, not haul.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

One tip I almost found out the hard way is never trust the tailgate cables.
If you can load the bike with the tailgate off, do it.
If you must use the tailgate because the bike needs to sit on it or part of it give some serious consideration to getting a new set of cables, just in case.
Or do what I did and make a temporary replacement set from some 3/16" X 1 1/4" flat stock.
You won't be able to fold the tailgate up with the flat stock in place.
But there is little or no chance of the flat stock snapping on you and having you and the bike go for an unplanned trip off the ramp.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM
DIESEL_DOCTOR
6th Gear
Default Motorcycle loading

Thanks for the tailgate information I will definitely use the flat bar suggestion. I am recovering from a broken back 5 years ago, which is why I can't ride 1500 miles to daytona pulling my 32' travel trailer behind my electraglide as was suggested. :-) anyway thanks I would have never thought about the tailgate cable problem. AJ

Quick Reply: Best Motorcycle Ramp???