General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad experiance at Whitt' HD In Manassas VA

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
anderstj0mills
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad experiance at Whitt' HD In Manassas VA

Im new to the forum and internet thing so forgive me for posting this in the wrong area the first time.

Let me start by saying that I am not one to send out a message like this lightly. I have much respect for you all, as such I feel that I must warn of a shop in my area that is not conducting business on-the-level.

This note is to bring to light an awful experience I had at Whitt's HD in Manassas VA. The parts counter would not take back a windshield that would not perform as described after 13 days of the sale. The noise was terrible at any speed. After getting a no resolution with the Parts Manager the General Manager still would not back up their sale and grant me a credit or an exchange for a functional product. I discussed my issues at length with HD corporate and they said that the dealer should take back the non-performing product. Whitt's general manager would not budge. I then called back HD directly and they called Whitt's GM to get them to do the right thing. Whitt's GM reminded HD corporate customer service that they are an independently owned and operated dealership and could "apply any policy we want". HD helped me lodge a formal complaint with the Harley Davidson against Whitt's this morning. I ask you all to carefully consider buying anything from Whitt's in the future and if possible please spread the word about this abysmal service to all that you know. I just don't want to see anyone else spend their hard earned money at shop that wont stand behind their products. I have spoken at length with Patriot HD in Fairfax and let me just say that they are my new dealership and will provide an exponentially better service than Whitt's.

Below is the letter that I sent to whitts GM after getting the runaroung from the Parts manager. When they would not do the right thing it went to HD as a formal complaint:

To:
Whitt's Harley-Davidson/Buell
9321 Center Street Manassas VA 20110

Reference: Unresolved problem with a Part purchased 13 days ago

Hello,

My name is Tom Anderson. I have made many Purchases from Whitt's HD, including my last motorcycle. I have even referred friends to Whitt's when it would have been more convenient to purchase elsewhere. I was planning a purchase of a new Ultra Classic within a couple of months from my favorite sales person Jim, until I ran into the parts department manager today. He is a nice guy, but I was not dealing with him for his friendly demeanor, rather I have a problem with an HD part that I purchased from Whitt's on the 13th of Aug. I purchased a new Quick Release Standard Height Detachable Windshield PN 58346-06 for my 07 Dyna that I also bought at Whitt's. The problem is that the part is totally useless at highway speed. I have a terrible buffeting at any speed over 60 MPH to the point that my head hurt after a 250 mile ride yesterday. The noise at 60 was louder than my VERY loud pipes. I adjusted the windshield up and down within the limits of the triple clamps and the buffeting was just as bad no matter what I did. After I called Whitt’s Parts Dept I was referred to the Service Dept and they told me to call HD Tech directly. After speaking directly with HD Tech, he recommended that I bring the part back to the dealer for a return. HD told me to call them back if the dealer did not resolve the problem. I brought my bike with the windshield attached. The service Dept verified proper installation. Then the parts manager explained that since I bought the shield over 7 days ago on Aug 13 that his hands were tied and he could not do anything for me. He said that to do so would be "above his pay grade". As a Parts Manager, I would assume that he would have something to do with the policy that he could “not go against”. The bottom line is that I was sold a HD Branded Product and expected it to perform like an HD Branded Product. It did not and the parts manager "can’t" and won’t help. You cannot imagine my frustration! After referring new motorcycle sales and being a loyal customer this is the treatment I received. No one even brought this to the General Managers attention. Please help. I will be in further contact with HD Tech Support as he asked me to call back if the dealer would not work with me. I am sending a copy of this letter to HD and several organizations that buy from and sell to your dealership in hopes that they may give me some outside direction in dealing with this. I’m hoping that Whitt’s HD will live up to their excellent reputation by making this right.

Respectfully,

Thomas Anderson

Ill let y'all know how this pans out with HD corp....

Best regards,
Tom Anderson
Kilwinning Crosse Lodge #2-237 AF&AM
Lawton Lodge #183 AF&AM
FMRC member
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
SeeNoSun
Tourer

An indy in Fairfax told me Whitts HD was not doing well and probably going out of business. I live in Reston but I go across the beltway to HD of Washington off Indian Head Highway. Their service is great. Parts people really know their sh*t.

I used to go to Patriot HD but I'm not a big fan of the service dept there. Parts guys are ok and have never had an issue with a return.

But I can't say enough about HD of Washington. They go above and beyond for their customers. Smitty is a great tech and dyno tuner. They only charge $200 for a Dyno tune. Micky and Rick are also really good techs. Ken and Don are the best parts guys I've met.

The number there is 301-248-1200

Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have dealt with Whitt's HD for a number of years, & bought my last 2 bikes there, plus a LOT of accessories for both. I have never had a problem with a return, but it was always in the 7 day time limit for returns. In your case, I would made an exception for your windshield, because if they keep you as a customer, you, like most Harley owners, would spend a hell of lot of money on bikes, chrome, clothes, etc., in the future. I run a business, & I have had to take a bath sometime on returns, but I more than make it up by keeping a customer happy & coming back. I will say I have always been happy with myexperiences with Whitt's, fair deal on my bikes, friendly sales staff, parts guys. For the record, my QD windshield does buffet some, not that bad, depends on crosswind or not.

Last edited by streeteagle; 08-28-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi, Welcome to the forum.
I feel that it is bad taste to sign up and trash talk a dealer or anyone else on your first post.
Nice place to air your opinion and I am airing mine.
Hope it works out for you.

Oops, my bad. This is your second post. Trash talkin the same deal.
MikeM

Last edited by deadman77; 08-28-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whitts has definately gone way down hill. They used to be really good. I used to get my 02 Ultra serviced there from 2002-2005 because the service dept was great and I lived closer to Patriot but refised to got there. Patriot's service dept is not that great either.

There are several fine indys in our area. I go to Devil Dawg Custom Cycles in Chantilly. Things that they have done for me went way above and beyond the call of the norm.

I have heard the good and the bad of all the dealers in our area.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 PM
anderstj0mills
Novice
Default thanks for the input!!

Thanks all for the guidance and opinions. Your truly a good resource. As for the fella that thought it was in bad taste to sign up and "trash talk" in my first post. Well you are right. Did you read my letters? I was just trying to be treated fairly; I certainly kept my dialogue factual. Bear in mind that I was not trashing, rather pointing out a deficiency with a troubled dealership to the folks in the motorcycle community. That said I really don’t believe that the measure of a man can have anything to do with the number of posts on some virtual media. My post was a warning to others; I don’t want to see any one get the shaft like I did. Just avoid a crappy dealership. I am quite active in my community and will continue to warn others about businesses that don’t live up to any sort of standard. Again this is nothing more than a virtual media, but a good tool for letting others know the simple facts.

Thanks,
Tom Anderson

Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 PM
WDR
Cruiser

So deadman he should of posted 2500+ posts in a little over a year to be able to warn us all of crappy dealer?

Tom you ever want to go ride, I live in NOVA.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WDR
So deadman he should of posted 2500+ posts in a little over a year to be able to warn us all of crappy dealer?

Tom you ever want to go ride, I live in NOVA.
My # of posts has nothing to do with MHO.
All Im sayin is that he signed up to stand on the soapbox and bitch.
Probably never see him again. JMHO
MikeM

Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 AM
anderstj0mills
Novice

here I am Deadman. No Im not just here to bitch. I have been using this forum for an information resource for a long time. I generaly keep my opinions to myself but in this case I felt I had an obligation to let other riders know. I do have a profound since of duty to my fellow riders. take a look at the signature in my first "bitch" the men I call brothers are many and it is indeed my intent to inform them of any business that not give them a "square" deal.

WDR: I would like to ride in the real world of asphault and wind, lots of nice country roads around NOVA. anderstj@aol.com

Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 AM
irishviking
Cruiser

Sorry but I still want to know what the problem was with the windshield? All windshields are big bulky and cause drag. That being said Why was this specific one defective? A windshiedl is a windshield........WTF?

Quick Reply: Bad experiance at Whitt' HD In Manassas VA