General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time of year to puchase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right now is best second would be a snowy day around Christmas day

Old 09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the best time to buy is when you're bitten by the bug. you'll miss great riding days if you wait.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
the best time to buy is when you're bitten by the bug. you'll miss great riding days if you wait.
For you and me aviator, since we live in the south! For a person that lives up north though, they might not be missing many riding days if they wait until the dead of winter.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Used bikes have never been cheaper than RIGHT NOW. But if you need a new one I would say RIGHT NOW also as they are clearing the 08's. If you got the cash go get it RIGHT NOW!

Old 12-26-2015, 02:50 PM
OCDbikr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soft06
I was told by the finance manager at the Harley dealer where I bought my softail that the end of October was the best time to buy. Reason being that the MC looks at the dealers to see how many previous year bikes are still on the floor come November first. They then reduce the allotment of the next years model to that dealer,,,depending on their inventory of the previous years model.
That's what I was told....is it gospel...who knows....but I bought my bike October 29th...2006 and got a killer deal.
That is absolutely correct (from a motivation standpoint) coming from a former inventory manager at a franchise dealer. And one thing that not everyone knows, is one dealer cannot do any "better" than another. They all own them for floor plan price, which is exactly the same as the dealer down the road, and it only comes down to willingness, based solely on motivation and good business sense. The dealer down the road that has "your" bike, will simply trade it to your home dealer for something they need in their inventory and whomever ends up on the bottom of the deal covers the difference in the floor plan price, to the other. One thing to take into account is the home dealer will then have to charge a transportation fee which is often disguised and covered up in the deal. But make no mistake, you WILL pay it. Considering though that it's not really that much more than "gas and headache" of going to get it from the other dealer yourself, and once a dealer KNOWS that you just drove 150 miles to get to them... They KNOW that they have you by the ***** and WILL take full advantage of it. If you ask for lets say, a hat from the parts department to be thrown in with the V&H that you're having them install, they'll have no problem saying no to even such a menial request because they know damn well, you ain't leaving without that bike, no matter what. Here's my advice from an insider's perspective: Don't wait till March, when dealers are all gearing up for the Spring Rush... Buy it now, from the home dealer. You'll sit down after riding one that might just be the wrong color, but otherwise is identical, so you really have a feel for the bike and then you'll do the paperwork as if you were taking delivery in 45 minutes, even though it'll be more like 72 hours (realistically). Do NOT tell them you are paying cash (NO MATTER WHAT!!!!) because knowing this piece of information will keep them from negotiating "front end price" because they'll already know that they're making ZERO on the "back end" (in the finance office). If the salesman mentions financing at all, just nod and go along with the plan, as if you ARE going to finance the bike. Then, when you're in the finance office, after agreeing on the price (Cause that's the only time you'll be in the finance office) and politely tell the guy that they've been amazing but you've decided that you wanna just pay cash instead of financing. They have rebuttals for this but your best bet is to no longer engage in negotiations at this point. You've already been told what the best price was and what all the dealer was going to throw in to earn your business. All you need now, is to know who to make the check out to. A dealer has three opportunities to make money per customer... Sales department... Finance Department... and finally, the Service Department (that's obviously assuming that no one uses a dealer's Parts Department, unless it's an emergency. If they go into negotiations already knowing that they will not make money in one, it's their obligation to the dealership to try and make it up in the others. For this reason, it is ALWAYS wise to let your salesperson know loud and clear, that you intend on having your bike serviced in their wonderful Service Department... whether it's true or not! Heed my advice and you stand the best chance at the best possible deal. Good luck...Ride often and ride safe!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:42 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Hopefully the op didn't wait the last 7 years for your advice.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:06 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Out the door price only. If they don't make the deal...F them. You'll get the deal down the road with someone else.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Last two weeks in January.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorlaw
Hopefully the op didn't wait the last 7 years for your advice.
Still a good post, that might help others. I bought my '03 on January 27, 2011. My salesman was desperate to sell. Pretty sure he didn't have too many customers in the dead of Winter.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:16 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Interesting to see who the posters were back in 08. Anyway, around here, Daytona Beach, the market is pretty steady year round. Maybe right after new model introduction, if you're looking for a leftover, or at the end of Dec when the dealer wants to close out his books.....maybe. Two times not to buy in this area is around Bike Week and Biketoberfest, as there is always a feeding frenzy and prices are high. Btw, good advice from OCDbikr.

Quick Reply: Best time of year to puchase?