Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What's it like to be a Harley Sales Rep? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/280825-whats-it-like-to-be-a-harley-sales-rep.html)

rdondes 09-26-2008 04:29 PM

What's it like to be a Harley Sales Rep?

I am 52, live in New Jersey and was laid off from my information technology project manager's job in December. I cannot find work at anything near what I was making before. My unemployment has run out and I am beginning to get desperate. I am considering sales jobs and was wondering what Harley-Davidson sales reps make. I know that the hours are terrible - as they are with all retail jobs. But, I'd be willing to make the tradeoff if the money was there. I know from research that some Harley sales reps are paid by the hour with no commission, some are paid annual salaries with no commission, and some are paid via straight commission. My monthly expenses are about $3,500 (that's $42,000 after taxes per year) and of course I'd like some money to put away also.

Can anyone advise what to expect? I've had one offer to be a Harley sales rep but it's way too far from where I live. I was wondering if I should continue down this path or not.

Thanks,
Richard

humbuster 09-26-2008 04:50 PM

I believe, they are usually paid straight comission (% of profit, not sales price). Low man (ie. new guy)gets lowest % of commission
Now is not the time (slow winter months) to be doing this.

Jim Dawson 09-26-2008 05:04 PM

My dealer's salemen are paid a weekly salary and a fixed commision on each bike sold. Maybe a performance based bonus at the end of the year. None of them are getting rich.

anubisss 09-26-2008 05:14 PM

Giv e it a shot and find out for yourself. I dislike the hours, but at least you are working around bikes all day.

flgator529 09-26-2008 06:22 PM

The quickest way to hate you hobby is to make it your job. If you want to love bikes and like bike riders stay away from working in a dealership!

aviator 09-26-2008 10:20 PM

all you'd be is a car salesman..... and you know where they are on the "respected jobs" list.... just above attorneys.....

GT_RoadGlide 09-27-2008 12:56 AM

Of the 4 dealers I visit there is only one where the sales guy has been there for a few years. The turn over rate is high.

There is an area that is good right now and should be for another few years, military contractors. What part of IT were you in?

xxxflhrci 09-27-2008 05:01 AM

Heck, if I thought I could bring home 42k selling HD's, especially in today's market, I'd switch jobs, myself.

l.ray 09-27-2008 07:20 AM

My nephew sales at HD. Makes min. wage+ comm. Did fair this summer, got laid off last week lack of buyers! I would look elese where. :) l.ray

faber 09-27-2008 08:06 AM

With the production cut-backs and the economic implosion....a job selling bikes or boats or RVs might not be the way to get your earning up to speed quickly.

And in terms of 12-month average monthly income, I can't imagine that too many HD sales guys are clearing $4K+/month. Any?

If doods were making ~$55-60K/yr gross selling bikes....don't you think people would be beating the doors down to apply?

And, yeah....like flgator said, once you make your hobby your job...

Good luck finding the job that fits.