General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Darkstar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homerandpooh
Like I said, Hondas are way down on my list. The only bike I am considering instead of the Fatboy is the Triumph. It's a distant 2nd though.

And if I'm bugging you, go to another thread, otherwise stay and enjoy the debate.

And you're on the list as well. I just put you on the "send me more info on Honda scooters" list.

There is no debate. Everybody here has decided that Harleys are the bike for them. I've seen this line of nonsense before and it's always from people who don't like Harleys. I'm done feeding the troll.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 PM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't say much on this forum but here we go again. Another lazy dumb a$$ that wants someone to tell him what to do. What next what's the proper etiquette for gas cap placement when filling up? Do some research! Go look at the bikes! Google it! Talk to people you actually see with motorcycles! And stop asking stupid questions to people on the internet. For all you know half of us may not even have bikes!

Have you ever even owned a bike before? Because it doesn't sound like it yet your looking at some big bikes. Anyone I have ever known that was into motorcycles, regardless of what kind, understood the Harley thing regardless of if they liked them or not.

Oh they don't make lawnmowers? I'm sold sign me up!! Dope!!!!

Man-up get out in the real world and make a decision. Why is a Harley better? Please man get a clue, it's not. It's different.

I'm done.......

Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Harley
It's already been said here. The Harley is not necessarily the better bike. In the eyes of alot of people, it probably isn't at all. With that being said, I have been riding for 30 years and nothing is as fun to ride as a Harley.I doubt that you will find the answer to "what makes a Harley better?" in an internet forum.
Please get what makes you happy. As for me, I enjoy my Harley more than any bike I have ever owned. Ride safe........Mike
Mike, I think you are right that I won't find the answers I seek here. An earlier reply said it's like asking why is a blonde better than a brunette. I just figured I would ask the blonde why she thinks she is better than the brunette. Why do you enjoy your Harley more, does it handle better, does it breakdown less-or not at all? That's the stuff I wanted to know.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:55 PM
kingston
6th Gear

Dude, all the time you have wasted here asking the question you could have researched specs on all bikes and found your answer. Harley owners don't purchase Harleys for the technology. I'm not trying to be jerk, but take some time and go to a Harley dealer or Harley event for an afternoon and then go to any other motorcycle mfg. dealer or event and spend the same amount of time. If that does not make you want to be the proud owner of a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle then it is not for you.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Originally Posted by kingston
Dude, all the time you have wasted here asking the question you could have researched specs on all bikes and found your answer. Harley owners don't purchase Harleys for the technology. I'm not trying to be jerk, but take some time and go to a Harley dealer or Harley event for an afternoon and then go to any other motorcycle mfg. dealer or event and spend the same amount of time. If that does not make you want to be the proud owner of a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle then it is not for you.
HOURS & HOURS, I have spent a ton of time researching this. I have gotten my hands on everything I can with data and specs. That stuff is great but the owners are the ones who really know the bikes. The companies all put the best spin on their product. You think Ford states in their Expedition brochure or spec sheet that the front brakes are notorious for brake dust all over your rims, no of course not. But I knew from reading forums and reviews that my truck was going to do that. i figured I coudl come here and ask the people who drive them all the time, I didn't know it woudl be so damn difficult though.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Harley is the best out there because you will spend 20k ride the crap out of it, turn around ten years down the road and sell it if you needed to and get half your money back! That will never happen with any other bike! The fact that they are the pricier bikes is because you have 105 years of amazing history behind them, and lets face it they are part of AMERICAN HISTORY!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its insulting because me personally, I've put in the time and find your approach offensive,lazy and juvenile. Roll up your sleeves, get a basket case, anything and build it yourself. The basics of what makes it run are essentially the same, sans the computer crap.

This forum has a smorgasborg of HD owners from cops to outlaws and everything in between. Mainline mechanics to owners who won't get their hands dirty to change the oil. Still others can and have but have the money to ride instead of wrench. You.....you come in here with things you can find out yourself. The important, intangible reasons for being a HD owner escape's your grasp. Are over your head. And thats okay, there are more then a few in the same boat. To some owning an HD is a way of life. Defines who they are as a person. It encompasses the scope of the beat of their heart. Thats part of the hostility here.

Learn it. Live it. Be and own it.

Or just be a sharehold investor for investment, better resale value importance.

Miami Cruzer
Tourer

I had the same considerations/concerns that you have.... for me it was just 3 or 4 months ago....
HARLEYS are NOT necessarily better bikes than the "metrics"...

But having said that, I could have gone either way, I'm not emotionally drawn to any particular brand of bike, except for the fact that HARLEYS are AMERICAN.

What convinced me was the fact that RESALE of a HARLEY is substantially higher than any other bike even considering the high initial cost..... and AMERICANS are building them.

So I figured my DELUXE will actually cost me less in the long haul than any other....

BUT, I'll admit, I DO like my HARLEY and love the sound! For me, it was pretty much a "no-brainer"............ I made the right choice for me!

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by Miami Cruzer; 09-26-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Javawave
Tourer

I've had both. Just sold a 102 CI roadstar. it was a great bike. I had a fairing on it, put an actual HD king tour pack on it. It was beautiful. I also have an 08 Ultra Classic. I can honestly say the following.
The Classic is more top heavy, inspite of that it handles as well or better at speeds over 15 MPH. below that it doesnt. The ride on the Ultra has more vibration when stopped. But on the highway its smooth as butter. My roadstar was just the opposite. The suspension on the Ultra is much softer. The air ride is wonderful. You dont have to change the stock seat on the Ultra. The stock Roadie seat has to go on day one. Parts for the HD are less expensive. Yes thats right. With all the aftermarket guys getting into HD's pocket, they are more competitive on the aftermarket parts than Yamaha. With the possible exception of exhaust systems.

which is the better bike. I have found the Hd to be easily the better bike. Which is the better value? you get alot of bike for the money on the Roadstar. You will get a great bike either way. But for me..I have always wanted an HD. It did not disapoint me when I got one. I liked my Yamaha. I love my Harley.

Attached Thumbnails About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question-phpcbsqukpm.jpg  

Last edited by Javawave; 09-26-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigjames19
Harley is the best out there because you will spend 20k ride the crap out of it, turn around ten years down the road and sell it if you needed to and get half your money back! That will never happen with any other bike! The fact that they are the pricier bikes is because you have 105 years of amazing history behind them, and lets face it they are part of AMERICAN HISTORY!!!!!!!
Resale is something that keeps popping up as a plus in my research. I see used bikes on Ebay and otehr places that aren't much cheaper than new. This was a strong factor in the decision I made. I'm not one to buy and trade-in a lot. I keep cars/trucks till they die or someone smashes in to me. So I will probably not sell the bike or trade it in, but knowing that my investment is solid is awesome.

Quick Reply: About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question