General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homerandpooh
Thanks everyone, but no one can tell me why the Harley is better.
Saying it's "better" is a matter of opinion. To me, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink. What do you want us to say? I like Harley's. Put a Harley next to a Honda/Yahama/Triumph/whatever and I will go for the Harley every time. It's just my opinion though.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

+1 on both the first two posts above. Especially the first one. I've owned other bikes before, but this time it had to be a Harley for me - a Fat Boy, in fact. I don't think H-Ds are better than any other bike out there, but it's not about that for H-D owners. It's more about the H-D legacy. It's about the brotherhood. I mean, look at this place! If you are considering other brands, and it's about saving bucks for you, then you ought to be shopping at someplace other than an H-D dealer. You'd probably be happier with the Honda, Triumph, etc, etc. For H-D owners, there usually are no other options.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to ask " why should I get a Harley" then you don't get it. When you buy a Harley, its not just a bike, its a membership to a historic and friendly brotherhood/sisterhood that only few can say they are members of. If you wanna buy some ricer or tea bag bike, go ahead and put the rest of your money away because you will need it on your trade it when you do decide to buy a Harley.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are the one that wants the better, I didn't hear anyone say the Harley was better. We don't care which is better, get it, we wanted HD's so we bought them. You will never have the best, there is always something better around the corner, and most HD riders know this, so they bought what they wanted, end of story.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A Harley is better because they are assembled by American workers that look to us to help put food on their table. All bikes are made of a mix of foreign parts at this time, but HD is built here.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First my hubby, then I too were always asking the same exact question. I kept saying "can you tell me that my money is better spent on a Harley because the Harley is the best built, best running motorcycle for what I am paying for it", and no one could say yes. No one could really answer "WHY should we buy a Harley as opposed to a different brand".

My hubby was one of the people who for YEARS kept saying "I'll never get a Harley, grrr grr grr" and always had reasons - unreliable, overpriced, etc. Well, we both own Harley's now and neither one of us can say we have an answer to the questions we kept asking - but we both just know we really did, for some unexplained reason, deep down want Harleys. We love ALL kinds of bikes and respect people's choices, and can appreciate the beauty of some of them, and now nice they ride.

Abrasive didn't necessarily answer your question, but I think he had the best answer. (his first reply, about buying what speaks to you, etc).

Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok I'll tell you the best way I know how. When I throw my leg over my Lowrider and hit the starter the engine almost explodes to life. It is loud, harsh and mostly unrefined horsepower and YOU ARE SITTING ON IT!

Then I get off and let it warm up and can feel the vibration of the engine spitting out of the exhaust and hitting me in the chest as I put on my helmet & earplugs (yes, lost 1/2 my hearing in construction). After a few minutes when she is warm I get back on....I crack the throttle to let the ECM know it is time to ride and also let the neighbors know I am alive and well. Left toe down ( CLACK! ) She is now in first gear...little gas & feather the clutch and down the drive I go...lean right, right again now I am at the main road. Turn left out of the boulevard and throttle up to 3500 rpm. I can feel this heavy high torque beast start eating up the road and hear the exhaust begin to roar as I take off. Second gear (clack!) roarrrrrrrrrrrr (clack!) roaaaaar! and yadda yadda yadda.

Now for the Honda.....I start it up....put in 2 pieces of bread push down the lever. In 3 minutes the bread pops up and I put butter & jelly on it...

Old 09-26-2008, 05:39 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone but I guess what I need are technical answers, not astethic or opinionated reasons. Sure the bikes look nice and they sound great. But any bike can look nice and sound great. Why buy a Ford Expedition over a Chevy Tahoe? I drove both for a job I once had. They are basically the same truck minus minor diferences. Of course Ford people are gonna **** a brick just like Chevy people are gonna have a cow. I'm not a "fill in corporate logo here" kind of person. I could care less about brand loyalty. I want facts, I need to know that what I buy is the right choice not based on looks or sound or because everybody else has one, hell not even because no one has one (Triumph R3 in this area is rare). Is what I'm buying the superior brand and if so then why?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Ok I'll tell you the best way I know how. When I throw my leg over my Lowrider and hit the starter the engine almost explodes to life. It is loud, harsh and mostly unrefined horsepower and YOU ARE SITTING ON IT!

Then I get off and let it warm up and can feel the vibration of the engine spitting out of the exhaust and hitting me in the chest as I put on my helmet & earplugs (yes, lost 1/2 my hearing in construction). After a few minutes when she is warm I get back on....I crack the throttle to let the ECM know it is time to ride and also let the neighbors know I am alive and well. Left toe down ( CLACK! ) She is now in first gear...little gas & feather the clutch and down the drive I go...lean right, right again now I am at the main road. Turn left out of the boulevard and throttle up to 3500 rpm. I can feel this heavy high torque beast start eating up the road and hear the exhaust begin to roar as I take off. Second gear (clack!) roarrrrrrrrrrrr (clack!) roaaaaar! and yadda yadda yadda.

Now for the Honda.....I start it up....put in 2 pieces of bread push down the lever. In 3 minutes the bread pops up and I put butter & jelly on it...

That's a man with a passion for his bike

Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't buy a Harley becuase it is "better" than the others. You buy a Harley because it is a Harley.

Harley is an iconic symbol of freedom
Harley is the most recognizable bike in the world both in appearance and sound
Harley is a statement of who you are as a person
Harley is sex on wheels
Harley is just a feeling, idea, dream, passion

Everything else is just a motorcycle for a Harley Owner. The thought of not understanding this for most Harley owners would lead them to believe you just don't get it and would probably be just as happy with a cheaper more technologically advanced motorcycle from some of the others.

Quick Reply: About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question