General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question

Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question

Ok, I'm all but settled on a Fatboy. This thread isn't to discuss the merits of Softails vs. Dynas vs. Touring so please don't tell me what Harley to get. My question is why should I spend 20K on a Harley? I like the Fatboy but I also like bikes from Honda, Yamaha, Victory and Triumph. What makes the Harley so much better?

The Triumph Rocket III has a huge engine, is very comfortable and looks cool.
The Honda VTX 1800 series look like Harleys.
The Yamaha Raider looks like a modernized Nighttrain.
The Yamaha Warrior is a sweet looking bike.
The whole Victory line is attractive.

Someone tell me why these bikes are so inferior to Harleys. Please don't spew about being built in the USA, at one time that actually meant something but in today's market it's about my bottom line. Aside from the Rocker, Harley hasn't updated their look in a gazillion years and in my opinion the Rocker is just Harley's way of getting you to pay them for a chopped bike as opposed to paying a customizer. I know quite a few people that ride Harley's and all of them love them. I just have to be sure I'm making the right decision before I plunk down a 1/3 of what my 1st house cost. 20K to HD is the same as 20K to Triumph as far as my bank is concerned, why should it be Harley?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, it depends on whether you want a motorcycle or a Harley. There is a difference, and it sounds to me like you want a motorcycle. I love all bikes, but this time, it wasn't even a choice-had to be a Harley.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I'm seriously not trying to be an *** bag, but if you have to ask that question then you might be better off on something else. Just my 2 cents, lets us know what you decide on.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
abrasive
Advanced

Originally Posted by homerandpooh

The Honda VTX 1800 series look like Harleys.
The Yamaha Raider looks like a modernized Nighttrain.
Not to me, they don't, and I don't know if modernized is better or worse, but I lean toward worse.

But this is why every major bike maker out there sells bikes, every single day. We don't all want the same thing.

Buy the bike that speaks to you.
Buy the bike that makes you smile.
Buy the bike that makes your heart jump when you look at it, sit on it, ride it.
Sounds like cost is not really an object - you can buy any one of many fine bikes. Buy the bike that you really want, not the one a bunch of us on the Internet that you've never met talk you into.

$0.02 from me, adjusted for inflation.

Dave

Old 09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

connman: I appreciate your response but these are the types of replies that don't help. What makes a Harley not a "motorcycle", thats the question I want you to answer, just giving me a blanket statement like that is counterproductive.

mtblood: So if I don't blindly jump on the bandwagon I should just go away?

I'm trying to get help not get ousted from a club that can't explain why I should join.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Good question.......a Harley is very unique BUT you can get an 08 VTX 1800 in the crate for $10,000 here in NE Ohio. So if you don't have a burning desire to get a Harley....don't.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM
xmarine
Road Master

homerandpooh
Dude, just get what you want. It's your money! If you ask my opinion then I would suggest buying a Harley. That is just me, but I am MORE than happy with mine, and I hope whatever you decide, you can say the same be it Honda, Yamaha, Victory etc. Decide what is right for you, and go from there.
FLAME ON
xmarine

Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Thanks everyone, but no one can tell me why the Harley is better.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBlood
I'm seriously not trying to be an *** bag, but if you have to ask that question then you might be better off on something else. Just my 2 cents, lets us know what you decide on.
+1 exactly.....you'll save 10k getting the VTX. Which is a nice bike. BUt it's not a Harley Davidson. Doesn't have the "Beast" feeling.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM
abrasive
Advanced

I am not pushing Harley, because again there may be better options for you. But I will relate this short story, because it pleases me to do so:

My late 60's next door neighbor came by the day I got my FXDF. She is a not-quite-retired nurse, and I thought I was going to get a raft of **** about safety, blah blah. Well, she LOVES the bike.

Her parting words that day were, "I am SO glad that if you were going to get a bike, you got a HARLEY."

I do agree that there are bikes, and then there are Harleys. For me, it's something I've wanted for a long, long time. I've finally done it, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I've looked at a LOT of bikes and for me, Harleys do it for me where others fall short. I am not ashamed to say that it's an emotional attachment. I'm happy to be happy with my ride.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About To Put Deposit Down but I have a Question