General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Junkyards in VA/NC/MD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 AM
homyakchik
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Junkyards in VA/NC/MD?

Hey, all

Sooner or later I'm going to paint my bike (FLHTCUI, bright blue, want black or copper or silver or anything but bright blue). Pretty sure I know what to do (have asked around), but as with anything, I'd feel a lot more comfortable practicing first.

Idea occurred to me to find someplace where trashed bikes are brought and sold for parts. A quick internet search netted me zilch. There's Kim Motors in Petersburg, but he only sells whole trashed bikes, not just parts off of them. I'd like to find things like the tour packs and fairing (maybe even a gas tank), the cheaper the better. Shoot, if it cost less than buying the silly things stock, I could shop around 'til I found used ones in the colors I liked!

But it seemed like a good idea to ask if anyone knows of one such in the general driving range. I'm near Richmond, but don't mind driving into North Carolina or Maryland if the reason was right. Anyone know of any such?

Thanks!

Deej

Old 10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im puzzled by this in Texas as well.

Lots and lots of wrecked HD bikes get auctioned off everyweek but very few if any salvage parts dealers in the market around here. most probably get rebuilt but some couldnt possible be repaired without new frames and salvage titles

the two major salvage parts dealers here handle mostly Jap stuff (how they keep track of; oh that fender works on a 03 Volusia but not an 01 I'll never know)

Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 AM
WDR
Cruiser
Default NC

I know there was one in NC on the way from Fort Bragg to Camp Mackall when I was last there in 04. I looked like most of it was junk. The independent dealer I go to in Dumfries Va has a crap load of take of tanks hanging in the shop. I never got into the cost of them cause they didn't have any non EFI Sportster tanks. Finally I'll ask my neighbor as he runs a company that parts out cars here in VA and might know of a place that does bikes.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,865 Likes on 8,236 Posts

There use to be 1 in Ashville NC.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

You can get a complete set of tins on ebay for less than a grand. Lots of take offs on there, pick your color. You can't be in a hurry if you want it cheap though.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
monster fxstc
Banned

Originally Posted by WDR
I know there was one in NC on the way from Fort Bragg to Camp Mackall when I was last there in 04. I looked like most of it was junk. The independent dealer I go to in Dumfries Va has a crap load of take of tanks hanging in the shop. I never got into the cost of them cause they didn't have any non EFI Sportster tanks. Finally I'll ask my neighbor as he runs a company that parts out cars here in VA and might know of a place that does bikes.
Who's the indy in Dumfries VA?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been trying to find one anywhere in the SE without luck. Where do all the crashed up HDs go? With as many as are on the road, you have to think there would be some junk yards somewhere.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicks Cycle salvage in Williamstown New Jersey. If you go there, you will think you have arrived at Vintage Harley heaven.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 PM
WDR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by monster fxstc
Who's the indy in Dumfries VA?
http://www.bikerbill.com/

Old 10-11-2008, 02:16 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

You don't need bike tins to practice laying paint. Go to any junk yard and grab some cheap, curved, parts. Fenders are good for practice.

Don't get too hung up on the idea though. Shooting it is the easiest part. Doing the prep right, setting up the gun right, and putting the right thing in the gun are more critical in getting a great looking paint job.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Junkyards in VA/NC/MD?