General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Buy a NEW Harley: 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 PM
NAND
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice when supply is too high and demand is low. It makes it a lot easier to negotiate. When there is a three year waiting list try making an offer less than MSRP. Prices are good now.....Buy and join the riding family

Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
dnitram
Road Master

I think Scubadog has done a great service, though too many of us get caught up in emotional buying, which will cost us additional bucks in our dealings with the dealer. No one has addressed anything beyond MSRP or discounts off this figure. We know there are lots of variables on costs, none of which a dealer will normally share with us. Several years ago, I came across this web site: http://www.cyclebuy.com/invoice.htm which will supply you with the actual dealer cost for a small fee. Knowing what a dealer pays for a new Harley will at least put you in a better position to negotiate YOUR best deal. The dealer has unseen costs like floor plan expenses, insurance expenses, etc., plus they must make a little profit to keep the lights on, but just knowing his costs on the bike and accessories will benefit you. Unless a dealer is in dire financial straights, I wouldn't even imagine being able to buy a new HD for his costs, however, it never hurts to have the right information in hand and could only lead to you getting a better deal.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Something else to consider. My local dealers will accept credit cards for new bike purchases. I bought my 08 Ultra earlier this year and used a combination of my miles card and my wifes miles card for the entire purchase, Then paid the cards off immediately with the cash I was intending to use for the purchase. So that added just about enough miles for a free round trip to the Caribbean to the deal.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should it matter when you buy? Someone mentioned "Timinig matters" I'm trying to sell my 05 EGS privately so I can buy an 09 SG. I'm in for the winter so there is no need to rush. But say my bike sells soon..should I wait till next year, at the end of the winter? Or by soon in the middle of the winter?

I'm not sure when the best time is. The middle of winter when nothing is selling?

Or next year when 09's will be left for the new arrival of the 2010"s

Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Some great info here perhaps could have used it .. before got my FLHT but think did okay anyway ... Was really wanting an 09 Street Glide but not too happy with the price .. finally he showed me the Brand New left over 08 Electra Glide ..15,954 out the door .. Done Deal

Old 12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread. Very much appreciate the info, and I couldn't agree more. Great concepts, and I've been using a form the same approach Scubadog suggested for years and years. It works! Know what You want to pay, and that's it. Don't get emotionally involved, and be willing to walk away. My wife won't even go with me to make large purchases because she says I embarrass her. I just say, I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make the best deal for us. I've had car dealers pay for overnight stays for my entire family, dinners, and gas money to talk me into a deal that I eventually walked away from, but ultimately made at MY price. It's kind of a fun event, if you know how to play the game. Rules: (They try to get your $$, you try to keep as much as possible) It's about that simple. Oh, and still get the commodity that you're bargaining for... Good luck out there.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Works great on cars, . I usually get my cars at or below dealer cost less the rebates using this method, from Ford to Lexus, but not with HD, believe me I have tried.

Good luck getting this to work with HD. Most of you may get is a couple of thousand off on a bike that has been sitting around several months on his showroom.You thing you have a great deal then they add the fees in, dealer prep, doc fees, full moon fees, it is a Thursday fee.............................you end up the same price no matter how you work it.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 PM
fgallardo
Advanced

I am looking into buying a 09 Fat Bob in early 2009. I live in Flagstaff,AZ. Would someone mind giving a EST price for this bike? 2009 Fat Bob

I understand MSRP is 14,999, but it has some extra's. as far as I know it has been in the store for at least 6 months.

thanks

Fed

Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's something else to consider, when you sell your bike outright to the public then go and pay what ever price you have negotiated for the new bike, you pay sales tax on the entire purchase amount. If you trade your bike you only pay sales tax on the difference in the amount of your trade in and the price of the new bike. The amount that a willing purchaser of my trade in was more than what the dealer was giving me but when you added in the sales tax savings by trading it in vs. selling to the individual, I actually came out better trading. Then you throw in taking off all the acessories that the dealer could not have cared less about, which I then sold for about $1700 on this forum. I came out way better trading than selling to an individual. I know it sounds unusual but I saved about $2200 by trading.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:39 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To reiterate a point someone made - besides timing: LOCATION! Here in Colorado Springs the local dealer is the largest seller this side of the Mississippi. Therefore they don't dicker much . . . no reduction, picture plaques, or t-shirts (just a ring of the "sales bell") but, that's what's nice about having other's an hour or two away. Always worth the drive to save thousands.

p.s. it's always worth a shot buying someone elses year old (or months old) gem already loaded with goodies at a steal 'cause they can't make the payments.

Attached Thumbnails How To Buy a NEW Harley: 101-apes-033-small-crop.jpg  

Quick Reply: How To Buy a NEW Harley: 101