General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Buy a NEW Harley: 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent point!! Here in the Great Northwest we have 8 dealers all within a 75 mile radius of Seattle. Now that's what I call a "Target Rich Environment". Might be worth a weekend trip to Seattle to seal a deal. Plus it's gonna rain until July 4th, according to most people, so all the new "Urban Outlaws" and "Rebel Wannabees" have already gone into rider hybernation for the winter.

BTW, the Pacific Northwest is a beautiful place to ride all year. We stay off the bike's on the snow and ice days. Well, some of us do. All those that go into storage for the winter are really missing out on some great riding.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Keith E.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big +1 on shopping around after you figure what you want on your bike. November '06 had me riding my '99 Super Glide to 5 dealers within 100 miles of each other. The one that sold me my '07 Ultra was $3700 bottom line OTD below the worst priced dealer, $2200 better trade allowance (stated that he had 130 used bikes and one more wouldn't matter) and $1500 in gift cards good for parts, labor, anything that they had. These two dealers were 53 miles apart.

November '08 had me stretching out the search area a little bit as I started bike hunting during a little ride down to Florida. While checking dealers on the I-95 corridor from Daytona back up to Rocky Mount I encountered big differences again with trade-in allowances varying up to $3500. When all was said and done the dealer that lost out worst in '06 got the deal this year. He was $200 more than the cheapest dealer but 50 miles closer to the house.

Do your research, pick out what you want and ride around some. Don't be scared to walk away to cool down and collect your thoughts. There's plenty of bikes out there so don't think any different.

Keith

Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scubadog
Excellent point!! Here in the Great Northwest we have 8 dealers all within a 75 mile radius of Seattle. Now that's what I call a "Target Rich Environment". Might be worth a weekend trip to Seattle to seal a deal. Plus it's gonna rain until July 4th, according to most people, so all the new "Urban Outlaws" and "Rebel Wannabees" have already gone into rider hybernation for the winter.

BTW, the Pacific Northwest is a beautiful place to ride all year. We stay off the bike's on the snow and ice days. Well, some of us do. All those that go into storage for the winter are really missing out on some great riding.
Hmmmmmm, I may have emailed you when I was looking for mine
I live in the good ol Northwest myself and emailed every dealer within the Tacoma/Seattle area with the price I was willing to pay for my new RKC. Got one reply! And that was to tell me they couldn't go that low.

So I emailed every dealer from Portland to Eugene. Got replies from all, but only one had the exact bike I wanted. But they were all willing to deal with me, if I could wait for the bike to come in. Drove down and picked up the bike and met some nice new people at the dealership. Who, to this day still send cards of thanks, and call just to ask how I like the bike....

Bottom line, I got no respect from any dealership in the Seattle area, and haven't called or been back since.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:38 PM
MACHD03
Cruiser

Consumer Report.Org will tell you exactly how much a dealer paid for the bike. In 03 I bought a Heritage, the price the dealer paid Harley we about $13.5K. I paid more than that. I got my when I deployed overseas, thru the overseas military car sales program.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, you got your deal and so now you're happy with your RKC. That's the whole point!

Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to shop around with this offer in hand. Any opinions on whether it might be asking anything unreasonable?

2009 Street Bob (Black Denim)

MSRP $13,344

No prep and freight charges (most dealers here in New York charge $995 for this !!)

$1000 below MSRP (total pre tax cost $13,344)

20% off all accessories and gear for 1 year.

Free installation on Exhaust and Stag1 Kit (at a later date)

Free Pair of black HD stock mirrors (installed) ($68 MSRP)

If financing through HD, lowest rate offered 7.99 or lower (my credit is awesome, so I would no doubt qualify, unless they decide the rate and not base it on credit qualifications)

Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by MACHD03
Consumer Report.Org will tell you exactly how much a dealer paid for the bike.
Where on their site do you find this information? Been all over their site and am unable to locate any such resource....

Old 12-10-2008, 07:58 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

BTW, does anyone know of a good resource to find out HD 2009 invoice prices?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:40 PM
geo361
Novice

Here's another link to dealer cost on 09 RK.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-2009-rk.html

Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
geo361
Novice

Quick Reply: How To Buy a NEW Harley: 101