General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Proof Case

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 AM
sporty63
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Proof Case

I'm taking a week long trip in June. I will be using my cell phone as my GPS (Galaxy s4) I can't seem to find a water proof case that will allow me to charge the phone with the case on. I looked at Life Proof, otter box etc. Does anyone know of such a case??

Thanks in advance

T

Old 04-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Chells93
Advanced

I've got an iPhone 6 with the lifeproof now and previously had a I4 with the lifeproof for 2 years and it never failed me. The lifeproof cases seem to always be only compatable with the "stock" charging cord that comes with your phone. So that being said I'd recommend the lifeproof. It's really worth the arm and leg you pay for it.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

+1 on the life proof choice.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:54 PM
sporty63
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chells93
I've got an iPhone 6 with the lifeproof now and previously had a I4 with the lifeproof for 2 years and it never failed me. The lifeproof cases seem to always be only compatable with the "stock" charging cord that comes with your phone. So that being said I'd recommend the lifeproof. It's really worth the arm and leg you pay for it.
Is it still WATER PROOF when you plug in the power cord??? thats my main concern as my GPS drains the battery pretty quick. I want to be able to charge it while riding.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Chells93
Advanced

Oh not if you like dropped it in a puddle or something but I think if you were just riding and it were raining you'd be okay. The case covers the area of where the charger goes into the phone so it's all behind the case.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Maybe y'all should take the time to visit the life proof site and read the item description.
RTFM, ya know? Doubtful you're going to find anything that's waterproof with any of the accessories plugged in.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:32 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

iPhone 5 in a Lifeproof case with a RAM X-Grip mount. Lightning cable run out or the fairing, zip tied to the handle bar. All you have to do in the rain, is unplugged the lightning cable and close the water proof door.

It's been through many a rain storm since whenever the 5 came out.

If you plan on using your phone as a GPS and you are traveling to remote areas, make sure your app has maps downloaded to your phone so it will work when your cell signal disappears.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
sporty63
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chells93
Oh not if you like dropped it in a puddle or something but I think if you were just riding and it were raining you'd be okay. The case covers the area of where the charger goes into the phone so it's all behind the case.
gottcha, ok, thanks for the info!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:40 PM
sporty63
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Maybe y'all should take the time to visit the life proof site and read the item description.
RTFM, ya know? Doubtful you're going to find anything that's waterproof with any of the accessories plugged in.
yeah man....did that before I posted. they don't specify if the case can be used with the power cord plugged in and STILL be waterproof. I know its a long shot to find one that is. Just thought there might be someone on the forum that found one.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 PM
sporty63
Tourer

Originally Posted by fishheadsaid

iPhone 5 in a Lifeproof case with a RAM X-Grip mount. Lightning cable run out or the fairing, zip tied to the handle bar. All you have to do in the rain, is unplugged the lightning cable and close the water proof door.

It's been through many a rain storm since whenever the 5 came out.

If you plan on using your phone as a GPS and you are traveling to remote areas, make sure your app has maps downloaded to your phone so it will work when your cell signal disappears.
Thanks for the visual! Yup, I'm using an X grip as well. I can see the door for the charging port. I'm using Co pilot GPS app on the galaxy s4. It will drain the battery to zero in an hour or two, so I need to be able to leave the charger plugged in. I have found plenty of water proof cases, just NOT one that will allow the power cord to stay connected.

Quick Reply: Water Proof Case